• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays Of The Past

christy

master brummie
Hi forum.. Looking through an old photo Album today from the 70s in St Marys Bay in Brixham Devon, what a wonderful holiday it was with Pontins holiday camp, just so near to our Caravan, it was bliss, fun times. Did you go there a fab place for many Brummie s Went there a 15 months ago it's still the same so fabulous but the pontins camp is now a department blocks expensive to buy not cheap..did you have trips to there would love to share any of your stories & photos of this place..thanks..

nickcc101

master brummie
We used to go to the Waterside caravan site in between Paignton and Brixham but that would have been the late fifties. We moved to Torquay a few years ago but found it too lively so moved back to Cornwall.

robert

master brummie
Hi Christy, St Marys Bay was the first holiday my wife and i spent together 1969.We still go to Devon every year, and visit Brixham most times. We have just returned from Shaldon near Tieghmouth after spending Christmas and new year there with the family as we have done for the last few years. I really like it down there.

christy

master brummie
Hi nick cc & Robert. .I have a full photo album with all the gang enjoying ourselves at pontins & the Caravan park, The steps down to st marys bay, were build by the Canadian army in Ww2, went there 15 months ago stayed at the sea in st Marys it was bliss so natural, I will sort out a photo or two to post on here if you guys have sum wack afew on here if you wish..regards christy

nickcc101

master brummie
Loved South Devon, we always took our children there every year for a weeks holiday. We stayed at the Torbay courts hotel in the summer of 76, our youngest was 9 months old and the eldest 2 1/2 what a great time we had. Unfortunately living in the area almost 30 years later never visited the parts that we had loved. It was a well known fact that Paignton was for families, Brixham for the retired and Torquay for the younger set, unfortunately we didn't bank on Hen and Stag parties or the change in the licensing hours.
Would love to see your photos as we have such happy memories.