• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hoggs Farm

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi Does anyone know the name of the Farm that was sunk when they built Frankley Reservoir or what year it was sunk
thanks Maggie :)

Hiya Mysterymermaid:)
The Frankley one is right beside the Bartley Green one.:).I remember reading somewhere they had to flood a farm to make the Frankley one But I can't for the life of me find it anywhere on the net.:headhit:.The Bartley Green one came a few months after the Frankley Rezza would really like some help on the name of the farm cos it's doing my head in :rolleyes:.have googled it but no luck
Maggie

You mean the semi circle not far from Frankley Water Works?? I worked there temporary for 6 months on the reception desk and yes there was a farm and im sure one of the roads by the beeches pub was named after it??:)

Hiya Mysterymermaid :) Thats the one :)The farm was flooded for the rezza to be built ..I am going to have to go to the local library tomorrow because it really is doing my head in:)
Thanks for taking the time to answer:)
Maggie

Thanks Claire :)Mystery I think you maybe on to something there..will go the library tomorrow and see what they say but I will ask where that farm was :)Thanks again
Maggie

I am trying to remember the name of the old farm and the name of the family that owned it??where the Highlander Pub is now?? It was a shop when we first moved to Ley Hill and the Old Lady and her sons used to serve you from their front door, the stock used to be all up the staircase, goodness knows how they got to bed!

let me know how you get on tomorrow at the library June xx

Looking at the 1890 map, the only farm marked which looks really likely to be influenced is Hoggs Farm, and this looks as if it would have been where the water works is, rather than submerged in the reservoir.
Mike

Mike You are an angel:):) Thanks so much Thats what I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!! I was told years ago that it was named after a local road by the beeches pub so there we are, I wonder why its also called Westminster Farm Pool??:)

Westminster farm is nearby (see 1890 map), and is still there now on latest OS map (but OS dont like you reproducing recent maps) . Its not far away, and possibly a large part of the reservoir was on what was its land. the wood marked Cutlers Rough certainly seems to now be under the reservoir
mike

Thats wondeful Mike thank you, I was looking for St Leonards Church but could not see it on the map but then thats me I'm terrible, a real dumb blonde with maps:redface:

Yes thats right, I posted the same further up the thread but then found out it was Frankley Reservoir that was the one they were looking for, I was told years ago that Frankly reservoir was on the site of a farm that one of the local roads was named after, it turned out to be Hoggs Farm.

I am trying to remember the name of the old farm and the name of the family that owned it??where the Highlander Pub is now?? It was a shop when we first moved to Ley Hill and the Old Lady and her sons used to serve you from their front door, the stock used to be all up the staircase, goodness knows how they got to bed!

let me know how you get on tomorrow at the library June xx
The family was hewitts the one son was micheal, also there was a small holding further down to wards the resivoire they where called Andrews , Johnny Andrews had what is now called learning difficulties, There where also another brother and sister I think she was called Dorothy, oh and horse called ginger... But the old man always said his farm was under frankly reservoir.

Yes I did remember the Hewitt's name lay thinking about it before I fell asleep, I used to buy eggs and milk from the other small holders but the Andrews family had long left then, it's just been sold again seen it advertised. We bought a new house in the seventies just off Frankley Lane before this one where I live now.

Back