• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Pubs

topsy thanks for re posting the lord byron...i posted it ages ago but did not save it for some reason.. and brenda yes i remember your posts...i have actually been in this pub it was just along from the lucas factory...

cheers...

lyn

Re-posting some missing photo's to the thread. I think this
first one was posted by Astoness.

The_vine_inn2C_Villa_St.jpg

the2520union2520pub2520gerrard2520street.jpg

The2520Greyhound_2520Holloway2520Head_.jpg

the_crown_villa_street.jpg

img436__the_old_crown_Digbeth.jpg

1MILL__the_old_mill2C_Northfield.jpg

Image15_The_Vine__summer_lane.jpg

Vine252048.jpg

Regards Stars

stars the first pic is of the vine inn villa st...a lot of members will well recall the long search i had to find one of this pub...situated more or less opposite house..happy days...

lyn

Hi Lyn
Yes i think i do recall you telling me about drinking your pop and eating your crisp outside.
happy days indeed.

Stars

stars we were not allowed to stand outside the pub...always went in the gardens round the back...did i tell you about when us kids used to go up the passage way which led to the yard where the empties were kept...one would get a bunk up over the wall..pass a few empties over and then we would leg it round to the front outdoor and get the money off them...lol...happy days indeed..the gaffer said he knew we were doing it but he couldnt catch us ...

lyn

My goodness Lyn we used do the same, until they got wise to us. When someone bought any bottled beer they would scrape the lable
with their thumb nail leaving a rip in the label, which ment no deposit on the bottle. So us kids had to think of another form of income.

Happy days

Stars

lol stars..being one of 6 kids we did all sorts to earn a few pennies...another one was collecting all the copper wire from the bomb pecks..our dad would burn off the outer casing in the back garden..let it all cool off..wrap it round into balls and then when he felt there was enough to weigh in off down the scrap yard it went...of couse we always got a few bob out of it...very happy days indeed..

Hi Lyn,

Can you remember anything about what it looked like inside please? Any snippets of information would be welcome. I presume its now been demolished, am I correct?

Don and I went to Warstone Lane Cem yesterday to plant some summer bulbs on my gran's grave, then we went to The Rose Villa for something to eat.
Oh 'eck, it's been taken over (like a lot of pubs in the JQ) by the Poncey Pub Company! We had ham, egg (1) and chips for £9.50 each :upset: and they obviously couldn't afford plates even at that price - the food was served on a bl**dy bread board!
It was nice, the ham was two thick slices of gammon, but even so........there was jazz/rock blaring out and the pub was cold and cavernous. This is an improvement? No wonder there were very few people in there at lunchtime.
Plus Don's pint of Doom Bar was served far too cold (he says). Frothie will know exactly what he means.
Also glanced at the menu for the new place near the Jewellers Arms....The Old Forge. Yikes! Second mortgage job!
Why o why didn't Don want to go to the Jewellers Arms...#sob#. Most of the pubs in the area now seem to have been yuppified, take care if you want to eat out (the chippie's good) and read the menu before venturing in the inn!

Last edited:
never mind charlie..maybe don will see the error of his ways now lol..could have got 2 meals for that price at the jewellers and plenty of it..think i will be giving the rose villa and that new one a miss...

lyn x

Back