• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done mohawk, but just goes to show how images can be manipulated, or as our old mate Trumpy would say "Fake news"
I remember when Joe Stalin would have out of favour politicians 'air brushed' out of official photos and these days celebrities can have photos altered to make themselves look slimmer. One useful thing I once did with the program was to put Santa and his sleigh in a pic flying over my young grandaughter's house ... she was impressed ...:)

Had a go with Gimp on a forum pic from post#40 in the Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos thread which has a strange pink colour cast as seen here. The original pic was scanned from a slide.
index.php

the above pic will only show if logged in link to it https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ozells-witton-photos.38980/page-2#post-435823
The Gimp manual has 421 pages... I'm not much good reading manuals and fiddled with colour levels and other things to produce the pic below which is far from perfect. It is much more difficult than colouring in pics. I tried 'auto colour correct' in other photo editors but the sky generally remained pink.
imagemod.jpeg

To while away the long winter evenings I've started using my laptop to paint colour on to old street pics. I chose the one below because it reminds me of my teenage years. I had a bit of fun with that man on the right, he hides his face in the first pic, but not in the colour pic. I suppose if I did twelve pics I could make a calendar .... all done with freebie apps ...:)
View attachment 120179
View attachment 120180
Great job, I could have been walking down that street I was 20 years then

oldMowhawk, I have tried using GIMP but it all seems a bit above my head. I will keep it on my computer and have a little go with it when I need a break from what I am doing now. Thanks for the help and advice and I am sure I will crack it eventually.

Hi Stitcher, I think I had hinted before that it was definitely not user friendly. I had it in my computers for a long time before I got round to really having a go with it. There are many other more user friendly free programs for general photo editing.

I find 'Photo Gallery' satisfies my needs, cropping, colour temperature and focus plus other facilities I rarely use, also SIMPLE to use (most important to PC idiots like me). Eric

Hi Stitcher, I think I had hinted before that it was definitely not user friendly. I had it in my computers for a long time before I got round to really having a go with it. There are many other more user friendly free programs for general photo editing.
There is a really easy FREE paint program called <InstantPhotoColor> but you need to watch the demo on YouTube, regards, J

It's Friday, snow on the ground, freezing wind, so decided to stay in and play with Microsoft's 3D paint which comes with Windows 10 and have another look behind the forum page. It's like playing with a Rubik's cube ..:)
Pic 1 .. I think the dog is there for image searches.
1Capture.JPG
Pic 2 another view and they're all looking at something on the right ... even the dog.
2Capture.JPG
Pic 3 a side view .. the dog's on the chair but I could not make him sit.
3Capture.JPG

It's Friday, snow on the ground, freezing wind, so decided to stay in and play with Microsoft's 3D paint which comes with Windows 10 and have another look behind the forum page. It's like playing with a Rubik's cube ..:)
Pic 1 .. I think the dog is there for image searches.
View attachment 120916
Pic 2 another view and they're all looking at something on the right ... even the dog.
View attachment 120917
Pic 3 a side view .. the dog's on the chair but I could not make him sit.
View attachment 120918
Old Mohawk's home life, a giant TV screen to project BHF on and two beautiful women to walk the dog and he still has time to show us all up with his IT skills, happy days.
Bob

I have just been told by my son that when he took my computer in for an upgrade on all programmes and a health check, he had Serif Photo Plus installed as well. I understand that this software can do most, if not all that GIMP can do. I have tried it and it appears to be very similar i/e complicated. I will keep GIMP but attempt to master the SERIF programme. Thank you old Mowhawk for the help on the GIMP subject.

I use photoplus (though not all the twiddly bits. ) and find it more than suitable for mynbuses.

I have just been told by my son that when he took my computer in for an upgrade on all programmes and a health check, he had Serif Photo Plus installed as well. I understand that this software can do most, if not all that GIMP can do. I have tried it and it appears to be very similar i/e complicated. I will keep GIMP but attempt to master the SERIF programme. Thank you old Mowhawk for the help on the GIMP subject.
Hi Stitcher, I think most image editing programs are difficult until you get used to them. If your 'Serif Photo Plus' is too complicated you could try one I've been using since 1996. I got it from a computer magazine CD and although it was designed for Windows XP it runs on any version of Windows. The company who owned it got took over and the program was discontinued but it can be downloaded from an 'Old Programs' website and I recently did this because I could not find my CD. It's features are about 80% as powerful as GIMP but is much more user friendly although it still needs practice. The screenshot below shows 'Paint Shop Pro' running on my Windows 10 and you can see I've coloured one part of the women's coat and selected another part for colouring. I do however mostly use Image Editors for 'normal' work and only started colouring when I saw someone else on the forum do it ...
1920s sitting by the Chamberlain Fountain. the original is on the forum here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...everyone-wore-a-hat.41994/page-13#post-562389
Screenshot (38).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Stitcher, I think most image editing programs are difficult until you get used to them. If your 'Serif Photo Plus' is too complicated you could try one I've been using since 1996. I got it from a computer magazine CD and although it was designed for Windows XP it runs on any version of Windows. The company who owned it got took over and the program was discontinued but it can be downloaded from an 'Old Programs' website and I recently did this because I could not find my CD. It's features are about 80% as powerful as GIMP but is much more user friendly although it still needs practice. The screenshot below shows 'Paint Shop Pro' running on my Windows 10 and you can see I've coloured one part of the women's coat and selected another part for colouring. I do however mostly use Image Editors for 'normal' work and only started colouring when I saw someone else on the forum do it ...
1920s sitting by the Chamberlain Fountain. the original is on the forum here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...everyone-wore-a-hat.41994/page-13#post-562389
View attachment 121069
Thanks a million oldMowhawk for the help and tips.

I've been colouring an old pic again and it makes me look closely at details in it. The women on the right is carrying a basket covered by tin foil! The women following her could be her younger sister, she appears to have french loaf in her bag. A couple walk towards House of Frazer, the women looking closely at her man in his sunglasses. Nice dog in the pic, I've repaired the Cherry Paints sign, and the only true colour is the little green man on the crossing light !
Coloured-in Pic. click and zoom and scroll across it !
Birmingham-in-the-1970s-B.jpg
Original Pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/cherry-street.42169/page-5#post-607419
index.php

Today's view from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/cherry-street.42169/page-5#post-607438
index.php

I've been colouring an old pic again and it makes me look closely at details in it. The women on the right is carrying a basket covered by tin foil! The women following her could be her younger sister, she appears to have french loaf in her bag. A couple walk towards House of Frazer, the women looking closely at her man in his sunglasses. Nice dog in the pic, I've repaired the Cherry Paints sign, and the only true colour is the little green man on the crossing light !
View attachment 121267
Original Pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/cherry-street.42169/page-5#post-607419
index.php

Today's view from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/cherry-street.42169/page-5#post-607438
index.php

View attachment 121267
index.php

index.php

Hello again oldMowhawk, that is absolutely fantastic and I envy your skill with the colouring programme. When I have made more progress with my de-cluttering attempt and finished the sewing I am working on I will endeavour to use GIMP myself. Again, that is brilliant.

Hi Stitcher, I have a go at a pic now and again but don't do it all the time and I won't need a colouring book from Santa. Looking at the pic only the House of Fraser shop is still there (maybe Rackhams in the 70s) and I was also reminded of those opaque glass gratings on pavements which I think gave some light to shop basements although I could be wrong about that.
oldmohawk

I like that blending. A useful tool. That plus OMs colouring could produce some interesting results.

All these skills are now taught in schools through graphics subjects. Wish that had been a possibility when I was a school. Viv.

Weather not good today, so stayed in and coloured an old street pic ... :)
DFiveWays-HagleyRd1966.jpg
The original pic is below, click it to expand and reduce it ....
The traffic lights have failed and a policeman has the awkward job of controlling traffic on Five Ways. He's only got white covers on his sleeves, 'hi-vis' jackets had not been invented back then. The car behind him almost brushes his back, and it isn't a Ford and I can't see the driver's hat. I remember driving in those sort of jams and often glared at a traffic cop when I thought he was favouring traffic from other directions.
FiveWays-HagleyRd1966.jpg

The lady in the white coat looks bemused by the scene....

Last edited:
thats nice phil...if the weather there is a bad as it is here now you may fancy doing another one

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I had planned a visit which would have had me driving on the the trans pennine M62 today but decided not to! Regarding the pic it always reminds me of my driving test in the 1960s when I was stuck in a long traffic queue and saw a young lady like the one in the pic trying to cross the road and politely waved her across, she smiled and crossed. At the end of the test the examiner handed me the pink pass slip but told me never to signal pedestrians to cross in stationary traffic ...:rolleyes:

Phil

A good choice of colours there oldMohawk most would be pretty close to the original colours of the car models..........although the A55 van in pale blue might be a bit special.

I wouldn't signal a pedestrian to cross either, especially nowadays with all those mad cyclists weaving their way through at speed.

I wouldn't signal a pedestrian to cross either, especially nowadays with all those mad cyclists weaving their way through at speed.

There’s always a chance that the person you waved across could be hit by one of those mad cyclists on the pavement!

A good choice of colours there oldMohawk most would be pretty close to the original colours of the car models..........although the A55 van in pale blue might be a bit special.
I have a feeling that there were never any beige Austin Cambridges too! I think the only authentic colour is the red 'L' on the motor bike's learner plate. Looking closely at the pic I noticed the mini had the Birmingham coat of arms on it's door.
I suppose these days pedestrians would use underpasses and cross what looks like a garden area in the centre of an island.

phil best not to risk driving today..its always nice to have hobby keeps the grey matter working...i am just about to get a months subs for ancestry as this bad weather is not good for one who likes to get out and about with the camera:mad: and it keeps me out of trouble:D

lyn

I think that there were a few two-tone Austin Cambridge’s around, my dad had a maroon one. I recall City Council did own a few minis with the coat of arms on the doors, the housing department had a couple.

I think that there were a few two-tone Austin Cambridge’s around, my dad had a maroon one. I recall City Council did own a few minis with the coat of arms on the doors, the housing department had a couple.
I did think of making it maroon but had already made three cars maroon including the one next to it and also that nice car is in front of the motorbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back