• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HMS Dasher

SteveD

proper brummie kid
My uncle Sydney Thomas Donoghue, grew up in Aston before he moved to Derwent Grove Stirchley. He was killed when HMS Dasher sunk off the Scottish Coast near Ardrossan on 27 March 1943. Even until they died, my grandparents knew very little as the incident was classified as a military secret. During the last few years, most of the events surrounding the tragedy have become known, although even today their is speculation as to the real cause of the disaster. The Dasher was rented from the Americans who converted a Brazilian Banana boat into an (almost) Archer class aircraft carrier. The ship was blighted from its maiden voyage and my uncle told the family that he would perish with the ship which was never fit for purpose. In 2003 my mother and I attended a very moving service at sea to recognise the 60th anniversary of the tragedy which claimed 379 lives. It still amazes me that an event of such magnitude appears to have passed the public by!. I have pasted details from the Fleet Airarm archive website :-
HMS Dasher was built at Sun Shipbuilding, Chester. Pennsylvania., and laid down as US mercantile Rio de Janeiro. She was converted to aedscort carrier on 12 April 1941 and named BAVG-5, after which she was transferred to the Royal Navy on completion 1 July 1942 and commissioned 1 July 1942.

This ship was basically similar to the "Archer" Class, but differed sufficiently to be regarded as a separate class. All in the Class were converted in the USA from mercantile hulls. When Avenger and Biter first arrived in the UK they went immediately into dockyard hands to have their flight-decks lengthened by 42 feet to allow Swordfish aircraft to take off with a full load of weapons and fuel.
HMS Dasher supported the North African landings in November 1942. This was the last time the Sea Hurricane was used - Operation Torch, the amphibious assault on North Africa. Sea Hurricanes of 800 and 801 squadron flew off of HMS Biter, while HMS Dasher carried Sea Hurricanes of 835 squadron. The Sea Hurricanes were very successful in protecting the beachheads against the French, with five Dewoitine D.520s being shot down and a further 47 aircraft destroyed on the ground. Once the invasion had taken hold, the carriers withdrew, leaving the job of air cover to the RAF and the USAAF.
Subsequently HMS Dasher was destroyed by an accidental aviation fuel explosion in the Clyde off Arran on 27 March. 1943. The wreck is located in the Firth of Clyde, S of Little Cumbrae Island, Scotland

Back