• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

History of St Thomas and St. Edmund Catholic Church, Sutton Road, Erdington

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I came across this PDF file the other day and it makes fascinating reading. In 2001 Michael Hodgetts wrote the historical background of
St. Thomas and St. Edmund Catholic Church on Sutton Road, Erdington for a Benedictine Symposium in 2001. There is a lot of history regarding Erdington contained in this 16 page paper. Thanks to Michael Hodgetts for this account.
The history of the church, church school and property on Station Road is worth a read. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=..._oDQAw&usg=AFQjCNGc5AzqfzAkhJ69nu3FRT5_hUmYgg

Very interesting, Jennyann, my family have a family grave at the Abbey, unfortunately my Father died when I was eighteen months old so I was not brought up a Catholic. I have visited several times over the years, anniversaries etc.
Two of my cousins attended the School, I have heard stories of the Nuns, I gather they were very strict in those days.
I now regularly attend the Church of England.

Back