• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

History Of Boaties!

View attachment 66246View attachment 66247View attachment 66248View attachment 66248Hi All Im glad we have a Canals section . I am so proud of my connections to the Cut . Its one huge family really and tended to marry within the confines of the Cut .
My Family interest in the canals are .. Daniels , Payton , Stathams, Ward, Price, Smiths , Morris and Longmore oh and Faulkner just to name a few . George Henry Smith is my nans Brother , George Smith jnr seen with wife is my dads cousin , Rose Daniels is My nans Cousin and The old lady is their mother Elizabeth Smith Ne Daniels My nans Mum .. my grt Gran She lived until she was 90 after many years on the boats :) Jean x
Here are some photos :)
Jean CatsclawsView attachment 66241View attachment 66242View attachment 66243View attachment 66244View attachment 66245

I forgot Elizabeth Payton 1898 married Edward Price brn 1890 1st and they had 15 kids !! Then went and Married Phil Ward . One of their Children Gladys Price married a boatman as well His name was Frederic Horne . She is still alive . Their children were born on the Cut and I have a booklet of their life history if anyone is interested :)
Regards Jean

What a interesting thread. I have been doing my friends family tree for her and her great grandmothers family were boat people details taken from the marriage record from Birmingham Library. Thomas Clarke age 21 boatman father Thomas Clarke boatman They lived in Cleveland Street in 1849
His daughter Patience married Edward Glover he was a boat man They lived in Park Lane Aston in 1881. His son John Henry Clarke was also a boatman in 1911 he was living in Lichfield Road Aston.

Some of my ancestors were boaties,and are difficult to trace (especially William Smith).However,the parish church at Braunston,Northamptonshire was a favourite boatie wedding venue,so a check with them for a marriage, could be rewarding.:)
Happy hunting...

I recently found out my grandparents on my maternal side were boat people. . Kearney´s from Rosscommon.
Smith from Waterford ( I think ). someone somewhere said there a connection to the Irish Natinal anthem. I'm going to investigate.

Having discovered that up until 1940 there had been an history of boaties in my family (since the 1700's at least!) I was wondering if anyone else had a similar history? :rolleyes: :)
Hi Frank. Yes similar for me. Anyone heard of the surname Boaz? Originally from Ellesmere port then made their way to the black country.

Hi Frank. Yes similar for me. Anyone heard of the surname Boaz? Originally from Ellesmere port then made their way to the black country.
Stu,
Samuel Boaz married Annie Ashley while Mary Jane Boaz married John Cliff 16 Aug 1891 in a joint ceremony at St Alkmund's Parish Church, Whitchurch, Shropshire, England. The men are canal boat men as is Samuel Boaz's father (also named Samuel Boaz). There's a family tree on Ancestry and some Boaz names in Ellesmere Port. Derek

Hi Derek. Samuel Boaz is my great great grandfather. That's information I didn't see on ancestry. I know they have a family tomb at the cemetery in Wednesbury. Thanks again

Hi Derek. Samuel Boaz is my great great grandfather. That's information I didn't see on ancestry. I know they have a family tomb at the cemetery in Wednesbury. Thanks again
You are welcome Stu. My grandmother Sarah Maria Clarke was born on a boat in Tipton basin, but when she grew up she came to Birmingham. Her father was a carter by occupation. It is always a challenge to trace canal people. I found Samuel's marriage certificate in the family tree, so worth you digging about on Ancestry. Derek

Back