• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hillstone Infants and Junior School

Hi, I have just joined this site. Fantastic photos above. I was at this school 1956 to 1963. Miss Stitt and Miss Clay were the Head Teachers. Miss Collins and Miss Yardley were 2 infant school teachers. In the juniors, I had Miss Lane, Mr Barber, Mrs Aldrick and Mr Thompson. I wonder if anyone on this site was in my class?
do you remember anyone in the photo's

My first teacher at infants was Mrs Lewis lovely lady, what I liked was the 10min nap in the afternoon “put your heads on the desk and close your eyes” I didn’t need telling twice lol.
Then into Juniors and my heartthrob Miss Richardson some great times there, and sports day on the field by the side of the infant’s block, I was good at running ( guess it was all that knock and run episodes).

I attended from 1955-1962. I remember Miss Stitt and Miss (Edit ***) she slapped me across the face once for throwing snowballs one winter. I had Miss Lane, Mrs Aldrick, Mr Barber and Mr Thompson, all great teachers. Mr Arkinstall ran the football team and I can remember Malcolm King, Eric Langford in the team. In my class there was Sandra Cupples, Linda Chamberlain, Roy Fox, Jimmy Arnold, Robert Chance, Toni Parsons, Melinda Yeomans, Sandra Davey. We lived in Nearmoor Road and my older brothers and sister went to Hillstone - Tony Cole, Pat Cole, Dave and Terry (twins) Cole. It was a great school and I have many happy memories of it.
I went to the school around that time. I remember the name Mis Stitt, which I always had a snigger at. The name Linda Chamberlain also rings a bell. My best friend at the time Paul Preece lived in Nearmoor Road. Peter Ray also lived there I think. I think one of the teachers was called Miss Penny and when she got married ( which was a shame because I planned on marrying her ) we joked that she would become Mrs Tuppence. I lived in Berrowside Road. There was also Michael Milward who lived close to the school. Other names I remember are Maxine Sandbrooke, Gary Hastings, Peter Pinner, Alan Dangerfield, Andrea Guise, . My older brother David Johnston also went there and was in the cricket team. See the attached photo

Attachments

• David_Cricket.jpg
    David_Cricket.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 1
Another thing I remember was that we had two blokes turn up in my last year who might have been trainee teachers. Not sure This would have been about 1962. They must have had some link with the RAF since one day they brought in a parachute with the intention of attaching it to a post and deploying it in the wind. I also remember doing some map work with them, where we calculated our position on a map given a direction and speed of travel. I think at that time John Glenn had just gone into space, so it was all a bit exciting.
I ended up getting a job in aerospace many years later.

I went to the school around that time. I remember the name Mis Stitt, which I always had a snigger at. The name Linda Chamberlain also rings a bell. My best friend at the time Paul Preece lived in Nearmoor Road. Peter Ray also lived there I think. I think one of the teachers was called Miss Penny and when she got married ( which was a shame because I planned on marrying her ) we joked that she would become Mrs Tuppence. I lived in Berrowside Road. There was also Michael Milward who lived close to the school. Other names I remember are Maxine Sandbrooke, Gary Hastings, Peter Pinner, Alan Dangerfield, Andrea Guise, . My older brother David Johnston also went there and was in the cricket team. See the attached photo
I remember the names Gary Hastings and Peter Ray. Peter did live in Nearmoor Road, just around the corner from me. I think he passed the exam to get into King Edward’s, which was a big achievement at the time at the school. I remember Peter’s dad used to ride a bike and passed us when we played football on the green outside our house. Paul Preece is another name that rings a bell. Other names I recall are Gary Haddon, Jimmy Pickersgill, Stephen Bishop who lived at the other end of Nearmoor Road.

I remember the names Gary Hastings and Peter Ray. Peter did live in Nearmoor Road, just around the corner from me. I think he passed the exam to get into King Edward’s, which was a big achievement at the time at the school. I remember Peter’s dad used to ride a bike and passed us when we played football on the green outside our house. Paul Preece is another name that rings a bell. Other names I recall are Gary Haddon, Jimmy Pickersgill, Stephen Bishop who lived at the other end of Nearmoor Road.
Paul Preece was my best friend at Hillstone, but we went our separate ways at secondary school. Last I saw of him was when I was in the sixth form and he turned up at the Golden Heart pub - which was our 6th form meeting place. He was a 'rocker' and we had grow very far apart. Jimmy Pickersgill rings a bell. You might remember Michael ( ? ) Milward too. Lived quite close to the school. There was also Maxine Sandbrook, Andre Guise and Peter Pinner. My name is Graham Johnston and I lived in Berrowside Road. My brother David went to Hillstone too.

Back