• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Highland Laddie pub

doddfamilly

Hi I am researching the Dodd branch of my family tree and find that Samuel Ernest Dodd is mentioned in the rate book for 1906 for the Highland Laddie pub on Great Lister Street. I would be grateful to see if anyone had a photo of around this time. Many thanks

this is the only one i have of the highland laddie which is on the corner of little francis st nechells which has to be the right pub as i cant see many other pubs being the same unusual name in that area.. looking at the age of it it may well be that your rellie is standing outside...sorry no date on this one...i have also moved this thread to the pubs section of the forum

lyn

Nechells The Highland Laddie Little francis St.jpg

Lyn, I have a note in my boxing file from the Midland Sporting News of January 1899 to say that Jem Carney, the boxer, has 'taken to' the Highland Laddie, Tower Street, Birmingham. This doesn't seem to be the same pub does it? This newspaper took it's information from other papers and sources so it may be wrong.

hi pen the highland laddie that shows in my photo is definately in little francis st as we can see it on the st sign...however a kellys look up could confirm if there was a pub of the same name in tower st but i have to say i have not heard of one

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn - 1905 Kelly's lists Ernest Samuel Dodd as a beer retailer on the corner of Little Francis Street but it doesn't name it.
1611839410137.png
There is no Highland Laddie listed in the pubs section.

mmm strange jan as doddfamily has found it as the highland laddie in the rates book 1906...either way my photo does show his rellies pub...of course like many beer retailers they gave the premises a proper lane later on which could be the case here

lyn

and even better still the vine is still up and running..click on link below for todays st view..this is a pub i have never been in but as soon as i can its on my list

hi pen the highland laddie that shows in my photo is definately in little francis st as we can see it on the st sign...however a kellys look up could confirm if there was a pub of the same name in tower st but i have to say i have not heard of one

lyn
Hi Lyn, No I couldn't find the Highland Laddie in Tower Street either when I was searching some years ago. Tower Street is in Lozells so miles away from this one. I found yours though and as you say there doesn't seem to be another one.

hi pen i thought tower st came under newtown not lozells but i could be wrong about that...agree though that there seems to have been only one highland laddie pub...i wonder if doddfamilys rellie had any scottish conections as he could well of been him who gave the pub its name

ly

Just realised I've strayed from the topic but just to say that Tower Street starts at Gt Hampton Street and ends at Summer Lane. Still not sure about the neighbourhood - I can never get these areas right! Thanks for your input and brilliant pub photos - I love an old pub.

Back