• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Highgate Street

Dek

It's Highgate Street Balsall Heath it ran from Upper Highgate St to Longmore St.

Dek

It's Highgate Street Balsall Heath it ran from Upper Highgate St to Longmore St.

My mother was born here (or in Upper Highgate Street) in 1917. It was a back-to-back house. Were these municipal or private dwellings, do you know ? Thanks in advance

Watt

In 1917 they could have been either, but most likely were built privately. Many were built before Birmingham started building Council housing.

I joined this site yesterday and I am really enjoying reading all the comments. I lived in Highgate Street with my Parents and my Dad's family. I do remember going to St Patrick's School at the top of the road. We left when I was 5 but I am looking forward to reading many more comments of peoples happy times spent there. If anyone has any record/photo I would love to see them. I seem to recall that next door to us was a factory, but could be mistaken as I am going back nearly 70 years. When they started demolishing the buildings my aunts were moved to Conneybere Street. Many thanks, Linda

Last edited:
Back