• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street Smethwick 1940s/1950s

sweet tooth

Brummie babby
I visited the Black Country Museum in Dudley this week and was amazed to see the Rolfe Street Baths building. I immediately recognised this from my childhood in the 1940s and 1950s and it really took me back. My mother and I used to visit my great aunts (Clara and Lucy Neale) who had a sweet shop in High Street Smethwick.

We used to get off the bus from Birmingham at Blue Gates and walk a little way back along High Street to the shop. I loved sitting in the window of the bedroom above the shop eating my jelly babies and looking out on to Rolfe Street Station. Great memories - thank you Black Country Museum for reviving them!

Hello sweet tooth, my two aunts also had a little sweet shop on High St!! They were opposite the Red Cow, late 1950's. I loved the chocolate drops with "hundreds and thousands sprinkles" on. They used to give me real sweets as well as the dummy boxes from the window so I could "play shops".
rosie.

Back