• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Pavements

Heartland

master brummie
There are places in Birmingham where houses, homes and factories are a higher level than the road. Some have now gone like the High Pavement at Soho Hill, that started at the junction with Key Hill. Their origin may be through ground levels, but with the Soho Hill example was it through road alteration?

This forum has the illustration which is said to be about 1901, prior to demolition of the houses there. The cable tram tracks are in the foreground.

.Hockley Hill High pavement.jpg

Other notable cases include the Coventry Road near Sheldon.

Interesting question. Wonder if any early maps could throw some light on it ? Might be difficult to detect though. Not sure. Viv

I suggest that when the houses or other structures were built the road way was probably quite narrow or even narrow lane.
Widening the road - as happens presently, required the retaining wall.
This feature can be seen in many places in Britain.

That seems to make sense to me. The buildings would have originally been built on an incline then, and the road cut through to provide a more level surface. Viv.

and of course both sides of gas st although not quite so obvious as the pavement on soho hill

Last edited:
Back