• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hidden spaces

Thanks for the tip, Viv. Readers might be interested in the meticulously researched and finely detailed Pevsner Architectural Guide to Birmingham: includes many superb colour photos. Edited by Andy Foster and published by Yale University Press (yes, really!) in 2005. Cheap through Amazon.

This event is free to see what was under a now long lost Picture house, The Picture House New St here are a few photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/

When were these pictures taken? The lighting is a lot better on them than it was on Saturday. It would have been nice to see what the rest of the place looks like but there is a lot of space roped off as unsafe. There's supposed to be a film for the cinema event but it wasn't available at the time. They are also collecting "memories" on cards they put up on the boards. These will be passed on to someone at next year's flatpack festival for some project.
There will be a larger exhibition at the old Municipal bank starting from the 20th. I don't know if any of this material will be moved into that one after.
The cinema basement hadn't been out of use for very long. It was a Snooker club up to a year or two back. They even had mail for the club lying on the floor inside the door.

I took the photos on Saturday, I have to admit that I do have a half decent camera, and I have played with the photos, because they were to dark I have boosted the light, to make it better than it was, the things that you can do with the right software these days, mea culpa.

When were these pictures taken? The lighting is a lot better on them than it was on Saturday. It would have been nice to see what the rest of the place looks like but there is a lot of space roped off as unsafe. There's supposed to be a film for the cinema event but it wasn't available at the time. They are also collecting "memories" on cards they put up on the boards. These will be passed on to someone at next year's flatpack festival for some project.
There will be a larger exhibition at the old Municipal bank starting from the 20th. I don't know if any of this material will be moved into that one after.
The cinema basement hadn't been out of use for very long. It was a Snooker club up to a year or two back. They even had mail for the club lying on the floor inside the door.

Back