• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hickling Wragg

sandra

master brummie
Hi
I wonder if someone can help please.
I would like to try and find the obituary of a ELEANOR HICKLING WRAGG who died 8 sept 1878 parish of Sutton Coldfield or even her will.
People have told me you can get them up on internet. but i don't know which sites, or I wonder if the library would keep that information.
Look forward to any replies.
Sandra

Looks as though there is already a lot of info on the Wraggs on the Forum going back to 2006. You are probably more interested in seeing
Eleanor's obituary and will. Maybe someone om BHF will know how to go about finding those.

Hi Jennyann
I have obtained her death certificate and it says died 8 sept 1878 parish of Sutton Coldfield. thanks for taking the time to look for me.
Sandra

Ancestry have the Probate calendars on-line. These record the wills and letters of administration (if there was no will) that have been proved. If there was a will, it would have been proved and recorded here. There is no record of either a will or letters of administration for Eleanor Wragg or Eleanor Hickling-Wragg.

The fact that there are is no letter of administration either would indicate that she didn't independant money, so everything just passed quietly to her family without involving the authorities.

You may find an announcement of death in one of the Birmingham papers, which could tell you where she is buried, but, unless she was 'important', you are unlikely to find an obituary. I have searched the parish records that are on Findmypast and she isn't listed there as far as I can see, so that rules out Key Hill, Warstone Lane and Handsworth cemeteries. I'm not sure how good the coverage is of churchyard burials.

Hi Leslam.
Thank you for taking the time to have a look for me. I will phone up the library in Birmingham tomorrow to see if the geneolgy dept is still open, as i know they are moving to the new one. I will ask if they have the old newspapers there that i can look at.
I wonder if she would be buried in Solihull as this is where she lived with Job Wragg mineral water manufacturer. I presume he would be buried in Solihull.
Sandra

Sandra, What address in Sutton Coldfield did she die at? I am thinking the distance between the two places is considerable - at least with the transport available at that time. I would have thought it quite likely she was buried in Sutton itself.

Newspapers are still available to use on microfilm, but floor 6 is only available on a few days a week. You need to check the library website for details of opening times.

I have checked Ancestry and have the same death recorded Aston. As she was only 35 maybe she hadn't made a will. If she died in Sutton possibly an obituary would be in the Sutton News, but I am unsure when it was first published.

I wouldn't have thought that Eleanor left a will. Until 1884 women had no financial rights, and on marriage any property or money was transfered to their husbands.
Unless her family were wealthy and left her a property in trust.
All deaths in Sutton Coldfield and Erdington were recorded as Aston until 1912.

I agree Alberta; also, if there was a will, it would have been in the probate calendar.

I have the National Burial Index DVD (third edition). It has burials for Aston St Peter & St Paul (Juxta), but unfortunately doesn't include 1874- 1880 (typical!). That period is also missing from the Solihull and Sutton coverage. Just in case, I did a search for both Eleanor Wragg and Eleanor Hickling-Wragg and came up with nothing.

I can only suggest that you trawl through the likely parishes (based on the address where she was living when she died) on microfilm in the library. As you have the death cert, you know the exact date, so look up to two weeks after for the burial (though it was usually in the first three or four days after death)

IGI has the burial of Lucy Maria Wragg,(Her daughter?, Parents Job and Eleanor Wragg) buried 29th July 1876 aged 1 year, Aston, Warwick, England, (not sure which burial ground it would be) so as Eleanor died 2 years later, perhaps there is a possibility that she was buried at the same place?

Suzanne

Hi Everyone,
I would just like to thank all of you for taking the time to search for the details on ELEANOR HICKLING WRAGG, and also giving me info on her daughter LUCY MARIA.
I will let you know if i find anything at the library.
Thanks again
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Don't know if you managed to find any listing for Eleanor's death yet but just in case you haven't, here is a clip from the Birmingham Daily Post dated 11th September 1878.

"WRAGG - on the 8th inst., aged 35 years, Eleanor Hickling, the beloved wife of Job Wragg, Boldmere Cottage, New Oscott and Well Lane, Digbeth. Friends will please accept this intimation."

The same as the above also appeared again in the Bham Daily Post 12th September 1878.
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
Thank you so much for the information on Eleanor Hickling Wragg, I will be able to put that in my folder. Would it be possible to let me know what website you found it in, only I have been to the library and they told me you can't access the newspapers as they are moving.
Sorry its taken a long time to reply, but I have only just seen it.
Thanks again,
Sandra

Hi Sandra

I found it on FMP as they have the British Newspaper Archive on there.

Suzanne

Back