• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hep with date or uniform please

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi all
could anyone suggest a date or what uniform this maybe ..all i know the picture was took in India
Thanks so much
Maggie

The East India company recruited ' soldiers' to help protect their interests in India in the Middle of the 19th century, when the mutiny started they were transferred to a regiment I think was called the Belfast regiment. This may be one or the other or even a main line regiment, I am sure someone will know but you may be able to find details of uniforms with Google.
Cheers
Dave

His tropical uniform type with topi and leggings ran really from around the 1880's to 1917, inc the boer war but his mustach and hair style could put him in Eygpt or the Sudinese campaigne 18887/8.

thanks Paul:) I am trying to workout if this is my grandad in the first world war or my gt gt grandad in the 1800s.:rolleyes:.seems like every time i think it's the one it turns out it could be the other:confused:

Very difficult when the photo shows no medal ribbons or Battalion/brigade flash's, or cap or laple badges all these help to date a photo especially when the uniform style is so non-descript sorry could't be of more help.
paul

Back