• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

henry eric smart re-divorce

smithy

master brummie
I do hope this is in the right place.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to find out about a possible divorce and or re -marriage.

Would I be able to get information from the library (birmingham) or do I need to go elsewhere?
My grandfather thomas charles smart was married and lived at 129 formans rd until the 1920's
I have reason to believe some time after that he then lived at 67 jutland rd billesley.
My dads brother henry eric smart was living also at this address at one stage so I feel there must have been a divorce, but not sure how I get to find out. hoping someone can give me some information or help to find out more about this. many thanks for help

If you need legal proof of a divorce in any court, from 1858 to the present day, contact the Principal Registry of the Family Division, Decree Absolute Section, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP (020 7947 7015).
For a fee, they can provide a certified copy of the Decree Absolute.There's a bit about it here
https://www.familyhistory.uk.com/content/view/548/29/

From Electoral Rolls
1922 at 55 Eastwood Road
Allen Lilley,Thomas Charles Smart,Leo Rabnett
1925,1930,1935 at 67 Jutland Rd
Ada Smart,Thomas Charles Smart
1939 at 67 Jutland Rd
Ada Smart,Thomas Charles Smart,Henry Smart
1945 at 67 Jutland Rd
Ada Smart, Edward G.Merrick,
1912 Catherine Smart,129 Formans road
1920Thomas Charles Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
1920 Catherine Louisa Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
1922Catherine Louisa Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
1925 Smart Catherine Louisa Georgina 129 FORMANS ROAD
1930 Catherine Louisa Georgina Smart,129 FORMANS ROAD
William Thomas Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
Henry Eric Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
Louisa Grace Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
1935 Iris Evelyn Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
Louisa Grace Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD
Henry Eric Smart 129 FORMANS ROAD

Thank you so much.
I could not be sure whether this would be my thomas smart. The one of formans rd is mine.
My dad stanley smart was the youngest child, and was a lovely quiet and kind man, but never spoke of his family other than his 2 spinster sisters. We were in touch regularly with them and visited formans rd but didnt know anything else.
I had some bits of information from my mom after dad died that have now fallen into place etc.
So, I believe (am certain) that william smart is my great grandfather as I know of his history which is well documented. He was a well known policeman in birmingham. I will contact london about a possible divorce. thank you

Hi my name is Carol and I am looking into my family history. My Grandmother was Ada Smart who lived at 67 Jutland Road from the 1920's. My Mother Mary Smart was born in 1925 and her Sister Dorothy was born before that but I do not have a date. Dorothy subsequently died when she was 14 of Diphtheria. We know that my Mother was born out of wedlock but could never trace her Father (my Grandfather) and both my Mother and Grandmother would never divulge any of the history. To give you a little history my Mother married when she was 25 which is when they moved from 67 Jutland Road with my Father and Grandmother to Gloucester.

I would be so interested to hear from you as it looks possible that we may have someone in common. If since posting your letter you have found anything out re your Grandfather and would like to share those details I would be truly interested. Kind regards Carol

Carol, have you ever seen a copy of your mothers birth certificate to see if there is a father named because she must have been given his surname.

Mary Smart was born in November 1925 and her mothers maiden name was Cridland.

Dorothy Caudren was born in 1919 and her mothers maiden name was Cridland , Dorothy died in 1933 age 14.

Ada Cridland married Frederick Caudren in 1908

1911 census 47 Kings road , Yardley
Frederick Caudren age 23 born Sleaford , Lincs Wire drawer.
Ada Caudren age 22 b Birmingham
Frederick Charles Caudren age 2 b Birmingham

Frederick Caudren died in 1923 age 35.

I cannot find any marriage between Caudren/Smart or Cridland /Smart so she must have just taken Mr Smarts surname if she used it all her life.

Ada and family in 1891.
17Bk 66 Arthur Street, Bordesley.
William Cridland age 30 , b Birmingham gun worker
Rosanna age 31 b Oswestry
Rosanna 7,Edith 5,William 3, Ada 2,Albert 1 month all b Birmingham

Thomas Charles Smart was married to a lady called Catherine Georgina Louisa Akehurst , she married with just the name Georgina in 1898.
She died in 1934 so it is obvious that she and Thomas were seperated and after her death their son Henry Eric b 1907 was living in
Jutland Street with Ada and his father. Thomas Charles Smart died in 1940.

Last edited:
Hi there

This is amazing you cannot believe how many years I have tried to get to the bottom of my family history on my mothers side. My cousin Jean who was Fredericks daughter died a few years ago but did a lot of research and I may have a copy of my mothers birth certificate but it was most definately Smart but will find and let you know other details. Also there was no marriage certificate of Ada marrying a smart that we could find.

Ada my Grandmother moved from 67 Jutland Road when my Mum Mary and my Dad got married (or within that time) and they married on 20th May 1950 and non of the house contents moved with them which has always been a mistery. I have never seen a photo of my grandfather or has he ever been mentioned and the only photo's I have are with my mother when she was very young and Grandmother taken outside the front door of No. 67. I do have one of Dorothy stood outside the gate. Does this mean after all these years that we may be related?

Regards Carol

Carol,if your mothers birth certificate proves Thomas Charles was your mothers father it appears that you and smithy share a grandfather. Smithys father Stanley George Frederick Smart was the last son born to Thomas and Catherine,they had another daughter Iris Evelyn in 1914., both daughtes Louisa Grace and Iris remained unmarried. Alberta

Last edited:
There is a marriage in 1934 between Ade Caudren and Thomas C Smart. So it would seem Ada did marry Thomas. Catherine's death is September and the marriage is Jul-Aug-Sep quarter!!

I have found a probate record for Catherine and she died 5 July 1934 - she left £278 13s and 1d to William Smart (butcher). It lists her as the wife of Thomas. Her address is 129 Foreman's Road but she died in the Taylor Memorial Home, Sparkhill.

Janice

Last edited:
Wow this is great Janice ,for both Carol and Smithy, like a big jigsaw coming together.
Catherine must have left her money to her eldest son, William thomas Smart.

Alberta.

It may be that the money mentioned on the probate calender was to be distributed by William Smart, as they list executors, not recipients. In this instance they may be one and the same, but you will only know by purchasing the will, which last year increased in price to £10 which I think is extortionate. This has been a fascinating thread, I have to say!

Back