• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henley Street/South Road, Sparkbrook

forever young

proper brummie kid
I have read with interest some of the recent posts regarding Henley Street, The Woodman Pub etc.

I was born in South Road just across from Small Heath Bridge. I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers the brush factory that was close by, and what it was called. Another place I recall is the barbers shop in Henley Street, just up from the Woodman. The barber's daughter was named Barbara.

Thanks for any help.

Forever Young

I remember the brush factory, but not it's name I’m afraid. I lived in Henley Street and went to Oakley Road School, we used to stop at the factory and watch the ladies at work on our way to school.
The barbers shop in Henley Street is the one I used, it was next door to an outdoor that was on the corner of Henley Street and Sampson Road.
Regards
Bill

Hi

The Barber shop might have been Albert Milner on the near the corner of Sampson Rd and Henley St. The Brush factory would have been Stevenson & Co in South Rd. The barber shop would have possibly been in this group and there is also a photo of the Woodman shortly before it was demolished.

Phil

Sparkbrook Sampson Rd- Henley St 1964.JPG Sparkbrook South St Woodman.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

The first photo shows Stubbs on the corner, I remember there was a Butcher and Greengrocer in this block, the barbers shop would have been on the opposite comer, going towards South Road.
Regards.
Bill

Bill

I bow to your superior knowledge, as I do not remember any shops on that side of the road. that is why I assumed those were the shops that included the barbers. I would only pass by that way on the way from Larches St to fetch a barrow load of coke from Adderley St Gas Works. Perhaps I was more interested in getting my tomato dips from the café at the end of Sampson Rd North to take any notice of the shops.

Phil

Raggy Allen the headmaster, Nogger Evans teacher in all subjects, Young Mr Evans PT, Miss Beal, singing- strange names we gave them, but never to their face, there was respect in the class room in those days. Nogger also used to sing in the church choir at the Church at Camp Hill where I was a choirboy.

Raggy Allen...Brown suit, brown shoes, brown tie, brown belt...Didn't know Nogger Evans. Knew PT Evans as Killer Evans. What did you get as choir boy eh 2/6d for weddings?...Miss Beal, was she the one with the tuning fork?

I seem to remember we were paid about four shillings a quarter,plus 2/6 for weddings and funerals, although mother would never let us do funerals, but the main perk was Oakley Road School ran a summer camp for two weeks each year, Staiths in Yorkshire one year and Kessingland the following, Nogger Evans as a teacher at the school as well as a member of the choir negotiated a deal where the church paid for the choir boys, it was one way (or the only way) we got a holiday.
Yes Miss Beal was the one with the tuning fork. Also remember Miss Mobbs who was the head over the girls.
Regards.
Bill

You were obviously there before me Bill. The school camp in my day was on Kinver Edge...A place near Redhouse Farm if I remember right. Miss Turner was head over the gals.

Yes, I left in 1951, aged 15 with the following qualifications----NONE!! But I still remember the date of the Battle of Hastings, just waiting for someone to ask me.
Bill

i lived in south road when i was a kid up the top end by small heath bridge my dad worked for moffats driving there lorrys i remember the brush factory well i used to look in the windows and watch the woman making the brushes and putting them in tea chests, i think i also remember a fish and chip shop half way down the street, i would also go to the out door in the woodman and buy sweets and when i was older had my first pint in there, i went to golden hillock comp school................ very very happy days.

Many thanks to all of you who have replied to my questions. uluz, I see you lived close to the bridge also, do you perhaps remember the Tomlinson family? I recall the name 'Moffat' but can't place it. Where were they?
Regards, Forever young

hi sorry i dont remember the tomlinson family but moffat the builders was at the top of south road by small heath bridge we used to live at no 67 south road and moffats used to own a few of the houses at the top of south road, we moved from south road in 1976 because the houses were due to be demolished we then moved to dixon road small heath.

Hi ULUZ
Seeing the picture of your house takes me back a while. I was born in 1948 at number 64 which must have been just across the road. It was my grandparents house. It was a pair of semi-detached next door to a yard of some sort. We moved to Mole Street, Sparkbrook in 1953 but I spent a lot of happy times at my grandparents place, they didn't move from South Road until the late 1950's. I don't remember the fish and chip shop in South Road, we always went to the one in Kyotts Lake Road, next door to Vale Onslows. I may be wrong, but do you recall a drapers shop in South Road just before The Woodman? We had to move from Mole Street when it was demolished, so we then went to Stratford Street North. When that was demolished we went to Kings Norton, it was like living out in the country. They certainly were happy days.

Regards, Forever Young

i cant thank you enough for these photos especially of the woodman.my partner,graham dixon.was born in south road.terry dixon is his older brother.does anyone have any photos of south road how it used to be or any memories we would be most grateful to see or hear anything about south road.thanks again.

hi forever young,
what a coincidence my best mate used to live in your grandparents house and i spent many a day playing in there, we also used the chip shop in kyotts lake rd and its still a chip shop to this day, sorry i dont remember a drapers shop, but i havent got the best of memorys....lol, do you remember the heardmans shop at the top of south road ? i think that yard next to your grandparents house was part of moffat the builders, thanks for your reply :0)

My Grandad James William Crathorn, Great Grandad Alfred Crathorn, and Great Great Grandad Leonard Crathorn all lived at Henley Street/South Road at some stage, see below. would love to hear any information on them or about the addresses that they lived at.
JAMES WILLIAM CRATHORN was born on the 2nd June 1877 back 77 South Road, Sparkbrook, a son to Alfred and Jane. Fathers’ occupation given as “Chandelier Maker”

1881 Census

Court 2, No.6 South Road
Sparkbrook,
Aston

Alfred Crathorn Head 30 Chandelier Maker Birmingham Warks
Jane “ Wife 30 “ “
Jane E “ Dau 5 Scholar “ “
James W “ Son 4 “ “ “
Sarah E “ Dau 2 “ “
George Albert “ Son 1 month “ “
Hannah Smith sis-in-law 19 Machinist “ “

1881 Census

14/13 Henley Street
Camp Hill
Aston

Leonard Crathorn Head 59 Gen Carter Worcester
Emma “ Wife 62 Birmingham
Jane “ Dau 24 Brass worker “
Albert “ Son 19 Spademaker ( AG IMP) “

On the 10th October 1886 Emma Crathorn died at the address of Back 13 Henley Street.

On the 29th July 1889 Leonard Crathorn died at the address of Back 13 Henley Street

Steve

hi.i was born.in the woodman, 1946.my mom and dad ran the pub.from the 30s.till 1952.idnt remember much but some of you might remember.my brother joseph.he was 12yr.my senior.the names .i recall.ted williams the tailor.allbrooks.the butchers. anybody remember nurse gem..my surname is ross.looking forward to chats

hi balistic annie, it was a bit before my time when you was there sorry, but i loved playing up and down south road as a kid, its a shame how sparkbrook has turned out, but its nice to chat to you :)

Annie,
I have been searching for any old photos of the Woodman (have got the one just before it was demolished), would be thrilled if you have any in your family archive. My father was born just behind the Woodman (1 back 96 Henley Street) and his father worked in the pub at the time of the Census on 5[SUP]th[/SUP] April 1891.
Fingers crossed
Bob

Hi uluz is your dad Mick Sw----y if so you will remember Bill Martin Moffats yard foreman and if you are who i think you are
we was across the road from you!, And yes the chip shop was on my side of the road six doors up from the woodman pub

The Moffat house's (two) was the largest houses in South road the house that the owner Mr Donald Moffat had both house's built for himself and his son,
when you looked at the two houses i lived in the one on the right next to moffats yard whare the offices were,
Mr Moffat also owned the Norfolk Hotel and the Cobden Hotel on Hagley road Edgbaston Birmingham.

Hi forever young i lived at 64 south road next to moffats yard from 1959 my dad worked for moffat builders.

Hi im interested in your comments regarding the Moffats Ive been researching them for some time. James Moffat I believe had the yard in South Road Would any one have any photos of the yard or vehicles. James lived in Grantham Road until his death and his sons kept the business going.

I lived at 20/24 South Road, with my 3 sisters and went to Holy Trinity later bordesley Trinity leaving in 1956 been trying to trace an old school friend, Michael COFFEY who left the school on some sort of education exchange to continue his schooling abroad,would be very pleased to make contact. H ave memories of Moffats and the broom factory where we used the nails to make tack guns its a awonder no body was blinded

Hi thanks for your reply I'm sorry I cant help with your search for Michael Coffey. I never actually lived in the area myself it was my great grandfather and great great grandfather who were Moffats hence my interest. I knew the yard was in South road . My g/grandfather died young so the business carried on through his brother so I have very little detail about the business but have always been interested in finding out more

Oh my days. Seeing the name Bill Martin brought back memories. My Dad - William Howard (Bill) was joinery shop foreman at Moffats Builders and often talked about Bill. When very young we would sometimes walk from our house in Alfred Street to Dads workplace. How sad that Sparkbrook, a place that holds so many happy memories, has become the place it is today. It's heart-breaking but I have lovely memories of Ladypool Road, all the surrounding Streets, youth club at St Agatha's and Farm Park. It was a grand place with grand people.

Back