• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hen & Chickens Pub, Dartmouth St, St Martins

michellebeever

Chellebelle
Does anyone remember this pub ? My Great Grandad was Landlord about 1930s he died whilst living there in 1936 he was about 40? His name was William Charles Easthope nicknamed Bill and his wife was May Easthope, When he died his son Dennis Easthope aged 16 had to take over the pub as apparently it was illegal for women to run pubs?

Michellebeev

If you are talking about the Hen & Chickens in Lower Dartmouth Street then it's still there today. It has suffered a few name changes over the last few years and today goes under the name of Bainsy's Bar. I think you will find that there were many female licensee's in the thirties as there are today.

Bordesley Hen & Chickens Lower Dartmouth St.jpg

It's the right pub as William Charles Easthope is listed as the gaffer in 1932.

Thank you both for the info ! hope you don't feel I'm trying to waste your time ? Im new to this so do apologise if i appear abit slow to thank you ! Patience is a virtue x

hi michelle always happy to help and you are not wasting our time at all...ive been here for over 10 years and i am still learning :):)

lyn

I remember the Hen & Chickens very well, it was where my wife and I had our wedding reception following our Marriage at St Andrews Church back in Oct. 1969

Back