• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with Vista please

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi all i am running Vista with Firefox browser..Whenever I go away from My puter for any length of time it seems to go to sleep and I get a black screen...This used to happen on XP but when I came back I only had to click the mouse and things would be back to normal....since running Vista when I come back I have to turn the puter off with the main power button then reboot it ..could anyone help please Maggie :)

What is happening Maggie is the PC is going to sleep, check you power management settings. Go to Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Power Options - Change When Computer Sleeps.

Forgot to say that normally you press the sleep or power key on the keyboard to wake it up, it sometimes is marked by a icon of a half moon, sometimes a brief press of the power button on the PC will do it, depends how it as been configured.

Maggie
Go to control panel and click on power settings, there may be something in there thats not right.

Terry

sorry I just noticed the other replys

Last edited:
Thanks Dave I know i am thick but when i go to control panel then I get System but cant find the maintanance :rolleyes: and just to show i don't know what i am doing i cant find a sleep button either :D

I am glad you got it sorted Maggie, when opening Control Panel in Vista, and XP for that matter you can get two different views, one Control Panel Home (see picture one) and the other Classic View (see picture). Both these are the same Control Panel settings its just different views of it, the default is Control Panel Home, change it by clicking the view you want in the top of the left hand blue side of the window. It Microsoft again trying to be helpful!

Back