• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with a grave photo (Sutton/St Peter & St Paul)

Gardner95x

Hi all,

Have recently got into researching my family and am trying to get photos of various headstones and was wondering if anyone lives near St Peter and St Paul Church in Aston would be able to get a photograph of my great great grandfathers headstone?

His name is William Gibbins and according to the monument inscription book I have he died in 1927 so am unsure if the headstone is there still. His wife Martha may be buried with him too.

There is also a headstone I’m after in Sutton Coldfield Cemetary, that would be for Joseph Ward and he died in 1941, I believe his wife Ellen Jane Ward is buried with him too. The grave number is 842 and the section is A according to this picture
5EAE703D-A2AC-4FF2-B8F3-5C8A0D16AD82.jpeg

If anyone could help that would be great

Regards
Jack

Hello, the graveyard at St. Peter & St.Paul was levelled and laid out as a grden in 1960 but hopefully you might be more fortunate with the other reference.
rosie.

Hello, the graveyard at St. Peter & St.Paul was levelled and laid out as a grden in 1960 but hopefully you might be more fortunate with the other reference.
rosie.
hi rosie i am a tad confused... isnt st peter and st paul the big aston parish church?..last time i was there there were loads of old headstones...

with regards to the burials i dont actually know where sutton cemetary is

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn, sorry I should have put the reference, it's from "In the Midst of Life" by Joseph McKenna.
I think the Parks Department did this to many graveyards and cemeteries unfortunately, but I'm not familiar with St.Peter & St. Pauls or Sutton.
rosie.

hi rosie i am a tad confused... isnt st peter and st paul the big aston parish church?..last time i was there there were loads of old headstones...

with regards to the burials i dont actually know where sutton cemetary is

lyn
Hi Lyn,

Sorry it’s known as Aston Church as well.

The address for Sutton Coldfield Cemetery is Rectory Road, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham B75 7RP

It’s near Good Hope Hospital according to Google Maps

Back