• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help! New and not sure how to obtain information

annaj

proper brummie kid
Hi

I'm trying to unravel a family mystery. After my first posting about Great Lister Street I was very impressed with how one forum member managed to find various addresses for me and once again I am asking for your expertise please!

My great-gran and grand-dad Thomas Houghton and Rose Ellen Houghton were living at Great Russell Street in 1915 when my grandfather Frank Houghton was born. However, Thomas died in 1818.

Rose re-married in 1919 to Ephraim P Gibbons and their daughter Rose Gibbons was born in 1920 (Rose, who became Rose Hicks, was later killed in the Birmingham Blitz during an air raid on Tenby St in 1940).

However, there are some rumours that either Frank and his brother Thomas (b 1913) were put in the workhouse and that possibly Rose Ellen (the mother) was with them. The boys it seems were rescued from the workhouse and raised by Rose's sister Nellie Long.

I need to know why Rose and her new husband Ephraim did not bring up the boys. I know Ephraim died in 1938. But did Rose simply not bring the boys up or perhaps she died and Ephraim just raised his own child, Rose. I can't find a record of Rose Ellen's death. I can find a Rose Gibbons who died in 1923 and would be around the same age, in Solihull.

I need to find out if the brothers Frank and Thomas Houghton were in the workhouse and when. I'm presuming it was Aston workhouse.

I need to find out when Rose Ellen Gibbons died or look up where she and Ephraim lived (incase it was the Solihull area), but I don't know how to do this beyond the 1911 census.

Also, a real long shot, but Thomas and Frank were raised by Rose's sister Nellie Long. She was married to a man called Jack but i don't know his surname. All I know is that a relative from the family (Nel's grandaughter, I think, called Brenda) owned a hairdresser on Station Rd, Erdington, called Brenda of the Ritz up until a few years ago but it has since closed down.

I would be grateful for any guidance or help, thank-you.

Last edited:
I would like to add that Rose Ellen Gibbons was born in Aston Birmingham in 1891. She as born Rose Ellen Long and her father was Richard Long and mother Ellen Long. Thanks

Thanks - so Frank's grandparents, Richard and Ellen would have seen all this unfold. It was one of their other children, Nellie, who took them in.

Hi there,
Don't know whether or not these people are connected,but I found the following on the electoral rolls
22 Woodall Road
Francis Tomms and Caroline Tomms and Frank Houghton Harris
living at 70 Jardine Rd
Lily Francis Harris,Emma Mortimer and Frank Houghton Harris
8 court 10 Tower Rd
Frank Houghton Harris and Lillian Francis Harris

Hi maggie
how are you nice to hear frm you .
like wise with me i do not want to throw you off your track but just to say there as a gibbons family
running a fish and chip shop of that name a couple of doors from the victoria rd police station
way back in the thirty,s through into the the fortys and one of the people did die there and it chaged hands
to some-body else and i am thinking if they was living in tower street it was just around the corner from
the shop .i thought i would mention that to you and wondering wether or not its worth
running through the cencus for that period and see what name or intials come through and
wether or not is it part of the same family they was a lovely family as i remember fetching the peas
in two jugs there was always a crowd to get in
it may or not be the same but i thought i woukld mention it to you
enjoy your day maggs, and best wishes to every body on the forum
and especialy the two birth day boys , astonian ;;;;

Thanks Astonian - i am grateful for any leads. Maggie has been great. Ephraim P Gibbons died in 1938 but not sure about Rose Gibbons :)

Hi Anna,

A service of Remembrance will be held at St Martins Church Birmingham on Saturday 25th September 2010 in memory of Civilians whose lost their lives during the Birmingham Blitz. This service is organised by BARRA - Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association .

Unsure if you are aware that Rose Hicks Name is also on the- Tree of Life Memorial in Edgbaston Street By St Martins Church and near the Bull Ring Markets.

It appears in records that Rose Hicks Lived at 38 Tenby Street North , rather than Tenby Street.

I will Pm you later

Bo

Thanks Bo - we only found out about Rose recently and went to see her name on the tree on Saturday. It was an emotional day. Any information about the memorial in September would be greatly appreciated - thank-you :)

Hi Annaj,

Rose Hicks name has also been entered into the book of Remembrance at The Birmingham Hall Of Memory as well as The Tree of Life in the Bull Ring.

BARRA- Birmingham Air raids Remberance Association will be attending the

4th Birmingham Lives Local History fair
on Sunday 13th June 2010
at Radisson Blu Hotel
Beetham Tower
Holloway Circus
Birmingham

It is possible that BARRA may be able to help you , have maps where bombs fell. Also may be able to help where Rose's body was taken.
I understand that Lewis's department store was used as a hospital / mortuary.

If you didnt want to wait that long , you can contact BARRA yourself .
BARRA meets once a month for social event , Also organise day trips.
BARRA promotes and educates Colleges & Schools about the Birmingham Blitz.

BARRA is also looking for memories /Stories from those who have lost their loved one during WW2 Blitz

At this point I am unsure of time ( usually 11am ) of BARRA's Service of Remembrance at St Martins Church in the Bull Ring
Saturday 25th September 2010.

Bo

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their help. It's really useful to know about the local history event and I would like to find out more. It's fascinating to find out about Lewis, as I visited the store so many times with my mother and grandmother, never realising the role it played during the war or that it may have once housed a 20-year-old girl named Rose. I'd like to learn more about Rose and her final resting place. My mother and I will be attending the memorial too, so we'd be grateful for any updates. Your kindness and help is really appreciated.

Back