• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help.. Firefox is driving me mad

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi could anyone help please:)..I am running windows 7 with Firefox browser..everytime i click on Firefox or my home page i get the welcome to Firefox page telling me all about Firefox with my home page opening as well so i keep getting two tabs opening its driving me barmy:rolleyes:HELP

Maggie

Firefox lets you specify more than one site as your home page; each page will open in its own tab when you start Firefox. To specify multiple pages, you separate each address with a pipe character (|) when you set the home page.

The above was pasted from google. I don't know too much about Firefox, but can you go to tools/internet options and to the part where it says homepage or something like that and see what it says.

Terry

I would imagine it would be something like

www.google.com(|)www.firefox.com with or without the brackets. So you would have to remove the firefox link. (I think) There must be an easier way. This is like the blind leading the blind:D

Terry

Morning maggie its that Dragon, conflict with his FIRE:D

No I had trouble with it and took it off after about two years:)

I am glad, I was starting to feel responsible there.You know what they say "Little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Terry

I used to love Firefox but it became unstable on my old computer. I now use IE8 and Google Chrome on the new one. I tried to load Thunderbird but could not get to sorted so reverted to Live Mail and am slowly getting used to it.

Glad your problems solved, but just in case somebody else finds their way here with a similar problem here’s my two penneth-

I use FF (FireFox) and love it and wouldn’t be without it. Having said that, I have had my problems in the past but there is a wealth of information and help if you ‘Google’ it.

For the specific problem of homepages, I have two pages set as my home pages because I like it that way- Discovery Channel and Tamworth Freecycle. The easy, failsafe way to set your homepage is to navigate to the page(s) you want to use, go to tools-options and the ‘main’ tab. In later versions there is a drop down box ‘When Firefox Starts’ that gives the options of using your selected page, a blank page or to show windows and tabs from last time. (Don’t use this one if you have internet banking open for security reasons). Then there is a box in which you can type the address of your preferred page (which will be ignored if you choose blank page or open tabs in the drop down box). Alternatively, before opening the dialogue box, navigate to your preferred page(s) and below the home page box are three buttons. Click ‘use current pages’ and whichever you have open will open with Firefox each time it starts.

For those who like to ‘go under the hood’ you can type ‘about:config’ (without the quotes) into the address bar and you will get a warning. Click ‘I know what I am doing’ (or something like that- it changes with different versions) and you will be presented with a list of personalisations you can make similar to this-

View attachment 48758

There is information about what you can do here-

https://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=719

and here

https://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries

If you’re like me, you’ll be in there modifying how FF works like a shot! And you will be surprised at what you can actually do. It is one of the reasons I love FF. It is really very customisable. I am so used to my setup, I really dislike using other folks browsers!

I hope this has been of help. At least I hope somebody finds it interesting!

Back