• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hello from someone who has never been to Birmingham

J

Joanne G

Hi everyone, I've been recommended to this site in my search for info on my mother's place of birth.She was born at 5, Plough and Harrow Road, Edgbaston in 1925. I believe it was a home for unmarried mothers.Her mother gave her address at the time as 45, Claremont Road, Sparkbrook.
My mother was then advertised in the newspaper for adoption and subsequently was adopted by my "grandmother" who lived in Retford.Does anyone know of the home or what newspaper would have covered the area in those days.I think her birth mother was sent to the area as she originates from Durham!

Hiya Joanne and welcome:)I am sure that someone on the site will be along with some info for you..good luck with your research:)

Hi Joanne. welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you are looking for, As a first contribution, 5 Plough and Harrow Road in the 1921 directory was listed as occupied by Miss Murphy, and in 1932 by Mrs Murphy. It is directly opposite the side of the Oratory, a centre of roman catholic life in Birmingham. Possibly it was a home for unmarried mothers run by the catholic church, but I am guessing
mike

Welcome Joanne,
The Birmingham Evening Mail and the Despatch(no longer printed) would be favourites,archived at the Central library.
Do you know if your grandmother was Catholic because it amy have been in the churches own newspaper.
I know what a difficult task it will be for you,there was no legal adoption until 1927 anything before that was done by private treaty(my Dad was 'adopted' in 1924.
It is possible that somewhere there will be a deed drawn up by a solicitor,I have my dads and it is a very impressive document.

If you wish to give particulars of your mothers birth name and that of her mother we may be able to help find your birth grandmothers birth etc.
If you would rather do this in private you can always send me an Instant message and I will get back to you. regards Alberta

Hi Alberta, thanks for that. I don't know if my mother's birth mother was catholic or not.I think that I've found her birth assuming that the information my mother was given was correct.Her name was Lydia Brunton and my mother was told that she was 15 when she gave birth to my mother, who she called Eileen)(not her name now).I don't know if a contract was drawn up or whether money changed hands.We know that the advert in the paper said Home wanted for baby girl, no foster parents need apply.I would obviously love to find the newspaper.My mother was born on April 27th and her birth was registered on 3rd June so I would imagine that it was between those two dates.

Welcome Joanne. Youve come to the right place for help. You will find that people bend over backwards to help here. Enjoy, Barry.

Back