• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hawthorn Terrace, Poplar Road, Sparkhill ?

Malc Toy

The Baggie Man
Hello everyone...

I am very new to this site so do excuse me if my request or format is out of order or in the wrong section.

Following the recent Remembrance Commemorations, I was trying to find information on my 99 year old mother's uncle, one William Thomas Beechey who was killed in Gallipoli on 10th August 1915. He sadly has no known grave but is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

I discovered that prior to the commencement of the Great War he was living with his wife and three children at 3 Hawthorn Terrace, Poplar Road, Sparkhill - this was in the 1911 census under the district of Solihull in the parish of Yardley.

Although Poplar Road is still there and there appears to be a couple of 'terraces' off Poplar Road, I can't find a Hawthorn Terrace. I can only think it has been renamed or demolished.

Is there method or reference source anybody could suggest that would confirm this ?

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Malc Toy

It may be that Hawthorn Terrace could just have been a block of terraced properties that were named, but were still part of poplar Rd. This is quite prevelant in Percy Rd nearby. The only way of checking is to walk the road looking for names, generally high up on the property. Google street veiw doesn't cover Poplar Rd sadly. Sorry can't be more help.

Back