• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hats off to Witton cemetery!!!!

Re: Hats off to Witton cemetary!!!!

Hi Pollypops! We're fortunate to have Key Hill Brian, who works so hard to halt the decay of Key Hill and Warstone! It's a shame some of the cemeteries have gone to "rack & ruin" I was in Uplands Smethwick recently and some of those have sunk right in. Lodge Hill seems well cared for though, and the Staff are always helpful.
rosie.

I couldn't agree more rosie. key Hill Brian not only works hard to keep the cemeteries looking good he also spends hours answering peoples emails and taking telephone calls about graves and then goes to locate them - often tidying them up and photographing them too and all done voluntary and at his own expense.
I think every cemetery needs a Brian.

Heather at Witton Cemetary has helped me today to locate my Nan by providing me with a Map and confirming further details. The office have always been helpful - even arranging to pull up a little tree that had taken root on my mom's grave some years ago. Bless em...

Qu. Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this but I will ask anyway ... are you allowed to bury (cremated) ashes caskets on/in an existing grave ? I may either scatter mums askes on Dad's grave or bury the casket there.

Stephen: My aunt's ashes were buried in my uncles grave @ Lodge Hill. Aunt emigrated to Australia after uncle died, the children bought her ashes back to be buried in the grave.
Hope this helps.

Stephen you have to get permission from the cemetery or church if you intend to do this. Church of England are very stict on doing anything with an existing grave. This is why the buried graves in Warstone Lane Cemetery have not been lifted you need permision from the Bishop which doesn't come cheap.

Here's a useful link https://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/help-advice/law/

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen,
Contact an undertaker, or the cemetery concerned - there will be charges.
My cousin died in Oz and his ashes were returned and scattered in the 'Peace garden' at the rear of aston parish church.
Another cousin died and was cremated in Middlesex - his ashes were in a casket and were buried in his Mother's grave at Witton.
It happens a lot nowadays.

Brian

Ashes ~
Thanks to Wendy for the link and thanks to Charlie and Brian, that's been a great help to me, very much appreciated folks.

Hi All just an update on my great grandmothers sunken grave. I have requested and received permission to reinstate the scallop edgings and returf the grave, This I shall be doing next week. However I requested to put a small wooden plaque with the names of my great Nan and great aunt on the grave. Permission was refused, As it was a private grave I need permission from the grave owner. So I popped to Witton last week to obtain the name, But the lady behind the desk was unable to give it to me for fear of breaking the data protection act. She said she may be able to give me the name if she believes he is dead. As the grave was purchased around the 1920`s I assume the grave owner would be. So I have paid £11.00 to obtain the details from the register and am eagerly awaiting a reply

Hello Les,
I echo your sentiments about Witton Cem`. A couple of years ago now, I responded to a photo request from Sussex, for a grave in Witton. I emailed them the details I had been given, and within a day, I got back the location, number - everything I needed, they even told me to use my car as the grave was sited a fair distance from the main gate!, Brilliant service. cresser.

I Would imagine it must be about one hundred years old then they remove them my uncle was burried there in the thirtys
and he as gone so i am told yet to get this confirmed ; best wishes astonian;;

It is perhaps a little off topic with the earlier posts, but it should be remembered that in 7 months time Witton Cemetery will be 150 years old. It was officially oponed on May 27th 1863. Great consultations and arguments took place in its planning, in particular concerning payment of non C of E church officials to conduct burial services. The report of the actual opening is too long (and flowery and boring) to insert here, but below is a preview, published in the Birmingham Post on 23rd May.

witton_cemetery_opening_BP_23_5_1863.jpg

Back