• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry George Fellows in the British Army, India

fellowkev

master brummie
Hello,
My grandfather spent a number of years in India, in the 1920's, serving proudly with the British Army. My father thinks my grandfather may have been in the 101st. Can anyone identify the regiment from the attached image of his uniform buttons. Granddad was born in Coplow street, Birmingham and lived in St. Marks street when joining (at age 15, according to my Nan). He may have been in a Warwickshire, Staffordshire, or a Worcestershire regiment.
Thanks so much,
Kevin

Last edited:
Badge is a Light Infantry badge and after the Great War a lot of the Brigades were dispersed as they only formed for that crisis
The Badge for the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry was a Crown, underneath a bow and then the bugle (not to be confused with the Somerset L.I. or Kings Shropshire L.I.and about 8 others which had the hanging bugle)
But they all had virtually the same buttons in the 1920's
A good button collecting book would tell you more on this period as from 1919 till 1939 is one of my Grey areas

Thanks Cromwell,
Your knowledge has put me in the right direction, and brought me closer to putting together the puzzle that is my Grandfather's military life.

Is there a particular button book you would recommend? There are a few out there

Thanks much,
Kevin

Kevin, A book I have just sorted out which I have is Discovering British Military Badges and Buttons by R.J.Wilkinson-Latham and I have just gone through it and it will not tell you anymore than what I have told you.
I know a great deal about the troops in India so have you any more clues like place names etc.?

Hi Cromwell,
thanks, my facts are few, I'm afraid. I will ask my father what he remembers
Harry did fight in the Punjab region, I remember being told that. I know he had malaria--"the worst thing I ever experienced", he said. but that won't help. Nan always said ..."dad spent 20 years in India" "joined at 15" "...lied about his age" I don't know if these were exaggertions or not.
He was a soldier in Ireland during the uprisings, too. But I must get the chronology straight. I will see what I can dig up.

By the way, he absolutely loved India--its people, and the landscape, some of his best times were spent in the Army there. And, I remember how he would speak with amazement that there were 300 million people living there. He was simply shocked and incredulous when I told him there were now almost a billion people living in India (this was back in 1988, just before he died).

thanks for the book details :)

Last edited:
So just by what you have said myths get mixed with fact ...was he in the Great War ? as you might have your time scale mixed up

No, he was too young, he was born in 1905, the last in a large family. Most of his brothers fought in the Great War. One--Joseph Fellows was killed in France in 1918.
If Harry joined at 15, as Nan had said, then the date for enlistment would be 1920. The back of the photograph I posted says (in my nan's handwriting) "Harry in India at age 16"(1921)

So the pair of them lived at 4/120 St Marks St. Ladywood ...parents John and Sarah
Joseph was KIA on 23-10-18 ? in the Worcs.
I think this is the right one and if it is ...you can do a lot of research on him as he won the Military Medal
his number was 13271 and he was in the 1/8 Worcestershire Regt Lc.CpL died at the age of 22
The ones below I believe are his brothers as they all lived just round the corner from one another

FELLOWS, A. T., Sergt., R.E.
He volunteered in August 1914, and after a period of training was drafted to France, where he served with distinction in various sectors. He took part in several important engagements, was wounded in action, and was mentioned in Despatches in May 1917 for conspicuous bravery in repairing telephone wires under heavy fire.. Later he gained the Croix de Guerre, and also holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals. He was demobilized in November 1919.
44, Alexandra Street, Ladywood, Birmingham.

FELLOWS, H., Sapper (Signaller), R.E.
He volunteered in August 1914, and was drafted to France at a later date. During his service on the Western Front he saw much severe fighting in various sectors and was present at the Battle of Hill 60, among many other engagements.
He was demobilised in April 1919, and holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
5/80, Anderton Street, Ladywood, Birmingham.

FELLOWS, J. W., Pte., Duke of Cornwall's LightInfantry.
He volunteered in September 1914, and was drafted overseas on completion of his training. He saw much severe fighting on the Western Front, and in Egypt, being wounded in action in the last named theatre of war. In January 1919 he was
demobilised, and holds the General Service and Victory Medals.
10, Sheepcote Lane Ladywood, Birmingham.

FELLOWS, P. A., Air Mechanic, R.A.F.
He joined in October 1918, and owing to the cessation of hostilities in the following month, was retained on important duties at Wendover aerodrome. He rendered valuableservices with his squadron until his demobilisation in November1919.
349, Camden Street, Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cromwell, you are not only correct about Joseph Fellows, but obviously a master at this sort of thing. Wonderful!

I will check out the other names to see who is related.

Where can I go to find more on Joseph? I did get his medal papers off of the Archives online site.

Marvelous information, Cromwell
Thanks,

Thanks Brummie Nick, I will continue with a protracted search at the Gazette Online (the search function seems a bit unreliable, have you found that to be the case?)
Also, I have an unfortunate last name--Fellows--it shows up in all sorts of correspondence i.e. "Jolly good fellows", "Fellowship", "those gallant fellows" etc, you name the combination :D

So the pair of them lived at 4/120 St Marks St. Ladywood ...parents John and Sarah
Joseph was KIA on 23-10-18 ? in the Worcs.
I think this is the right one and if it is ...you can do a lot of research on him as he won the Military Medal
his number was 13271 and he was in the 1/8 Worcestershire Regt Lc.CpL died at the age of 22
The ones below I believe are his brothers as they all lived just round the corner from one another

Hi Cromwell,
here is a picture of Joseph Fellows, just for the record. He is the one standing on the left

On line Gazette not much good but better than nothing and you can sometime make a hit after a few hours, that is why I did not post it
My haunch was right and if I was you I would go all out to get the info for your kin.
Another lead to chase his MM up would be a book from the (or about) his Regiment and that would give a date he got the M.M. and if you then let me know I could go through the books and find him for you

If ya lived in Brum you could wrap all this up in a few weeks by accessing the Electoral rolls to get names and addresses then get the absent voters records ......So is it worth a holiday ?

Yes, it is worth a holiday! Only, I would have to come alone; my wife and kids would be bored silly if I spent my days (happily) searching through files and records. There would be a family mutiny :)

You are correct in the fact that I should dig into this deeper. I am the only one in my family line (that I know of) who is interested in gathering the family history. I am determined to find out as much as I can, and record it for posterity--especially with regards to those ancestors who bravely gave their lives for England.

I will search for a book on the Worcester regiment. There is a very good site--I believe it is the Midlands Historical Data, or something like that, a site that offers digitized books for sale. I am sure you have heard about it.

If you do have anything on the Worcester's in your library that you can look up, please let me know, Cromwell. I would be grateful, though I am mindful of your time (and mindful too, that there are lots of others on this site with equally important questions),

All the best,

We have a few or should I say one or two spoof posters and have to weed them out....but I know you are genuine so will go the extra mile to help ............I can give you details of A.T.Fellows ..time in 1914-15
J.W.Fellows time in 1914-15 and might even get 1916 but will e-mail you the info in a few weeks .
If you get a book on the Worcs make sure it has the MM winners in it
I can give you more detailed info after the weekend

Great recomendation, Brummie Nick, looks like I a lot of great reading. Thanks,

And thank you too, Cromwell for your help.

I have found a couple of things on my great uncle Joseph Fellows (you guys are inspiring me):

Fellows, J., 13271 L/Cpl. 23/7/19
1/8th Battalion
MM medal awarded on the above date.
Source: "The Worcester Regiment of the Great War". Capt. H FitzM. Stacke, M.C. 1928

Looks like the MM was awarded after he was killed (23/10/18

And I went to the National Archives (online) and downloaded his medal card for 3 pounds fifty (I thought the UK was all Euros, now). for those readers who don't know about that service, here is the link.
https://secure.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Ain't forgot ya Fellowkev info after tomorrow as wifes birthday next week but as I wont be here, have to celebrate tomorrow (or in the doghouse)
Watch this space next day or so

Thanks, mate, but don't worry about me too much, Cromwell, it sounds like you have an awful lot going on,
Glad you remembered your wife's birthday; I forgot my wife's once, we were newly married, so perhaps it was excusable (or so I thought). Let's just say it wasn't pretty :redface: My wife is the forgiving sort, but she never forgets anythng--anything I have done wrong, that is :)

Fellowkev, I have finally got the books I wanted (a friend has just bought them round) and the info you want from 1916 till 1918 on the 1/8 battalion is all in their and makes harrowing reading ...
I will scan to Word the last couple of the days of his life and the Battle of Selle were he got killed and 20 MM's were awarded that day
So PM me your E-mail Address
They are expensive books but this is were you can buy them from if you want to ...and you can order online
at email : [email protected]

The Naval & Military Press Ltd
Unit 10
Ridgewood Industrial Park
Uckfield, East Sussex.
TN22 5QE
England

www.naval-military-press.com

The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War
by
Captain H.FitzM. Stacke. M.C. of the Regiment
Vol one & two
(2 books)

Cromwell, your help has been immeasurable. Thank you very much!
I will look into buying those books on the great Worcester Regiment
All the best,

Detailed Map showing were he was killed and info all sent by E-mail
March 30th 1915 the 1/8th Worcs.left England from Folkstone on the S.S. Invicta and reached Boulogne in the middle of the night and then marched3 miles to camp

Cromwell, last April, I asked what my grandfather, Harry George Fellows' regiment was in India, based on his uniform button (it happens to be the Rifle Brigade). Thanks.
We moved on to the death of his brother Joseph Fellows in World War 1. In looking that up, you gave some names of other Fellowses that lived in the Ladywood area. After some research, I have discovered that my Grandfather's oldest brother James William Fellows, born in 1888, is indeed the person you denoted below. Thanks so much! Regards, Kevin

FELLOWS, J. W., Pte., Duke of Cornwall's LightInfantry.
He volunteered in September 1914, and was drafted overseas on completion of his training. He saw much severe fighting on the Western Front, and in Egypt, being wounded in action in the last named theatre of war. In January 1919 he was
demobilised, and holds the General Service and Victory Medals.
10, Sheepcote Lane Ladywood, Birmingham.

From electoral rolls of 1918, his service number was 137189

From Medal Cards, the following sevice numbers:
Description Medal card of Fellows, James W
7th Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 11202 Private
Somerset Light Infantry 37189 Private
5th Royal Warwickshire Regiment Territorial Force 5097044 Private
Date 1914-1920

i remember seeing a link about this gentleman when i was looking through the changes on coplow street i just happened to google the stree from the late 40s i believe your grandfather lived at 32 coplow street or for any other info you could try mac josephs ladywood website

Back