• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

harrison florence

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys ;
firstly thanks to bewdley with his valued info; to me ;i was wondering whether or not can any body give me any of there
valed time please i am told that during the period of 1962 that florence harrison was living at 129 park lane aston ;
and i am wondering whether or not she was there inthe latter years of around 1969
and was she a married person or not what was her status of any marrige or sibblings if any body can tell me any think about this lady i would really appreciate it ;
i have been searching for years for this lady and now bewd; as put me in the right direction ;
as this lady played apart in my grand fathers life for some time best wishes astonian ;;

hi guys
i was informed she was living in a flat which i think was above the property of 237 park lane aston;
did she formerly live there or was it later i years that or before she moved into the flats owned by ernie jelf ;
the 237 was a coffe shop and the next door was 235 the one before was a chip shop and the house was at the rear of these two shops along with the two storey ware house which backed onto the aston rd north ; i was aware that in the fiftys there was a mrs mack living in the little tiny one up amnd down house
flanked by the waere houseing on the left of the house in the big court yard and the garaging and repais garage on the left
if possible if bewdley could give me further details of either of the two ladies and thirdley was there a mrs robinson listed as a tennant
at the property in tat year he gave me for the electro roll
or if its possible some body else could give me further info ; on a mrs robinson she had red hair and ageing ;possible around the sixty years old bracket at that time it would be very inportant to me to learn more about the two people i have mentionion and is it possible some body could give or have a picture of the park lane end approaching the aston cross please
many thanks again best wishes to you all alan ;; astonian;;

Do these names ring any bells Astonian?
1960 at 235 Park Lane
Ernest Jelf,Mary Barnard,Florence E Baxter,Edith Bladon,Dorothy F Borgerth,Georgina Boswell,Edith Carter,Maud L Gough,Catherine Kelly,Elsie Lowriess,Madge M Neale,Connie New.
At 2 back 235 were Charles A and Elsie Shaw.
Flat 237 were Alfred and Florence G Hubern and back 237 was Arthur W Tippin.
133 Park Lane 1947-1950 was Rosina Turner,Charles H Harrison,Florence Harrison,(+ Florence Harrison (jnr) in 1950)
1955 just Charles H Harrison,Florence Harrison.
1960 at 129 Park Lane were just Charles H Harrison,Florence Harrison.
Florence's maiden name possibly Boddey

hi ladylinda;
many thanks for your valuable time you have given yet again ,i cannot thank you enough
all the names ;well all most of them ernie jelf was my grand father whom inherited all the family properties by around that period
regarding the shaws they bought the tiny house at the rear of park lane and they came from honeybourne eversham
its the accumunalaters whom spelt it wrong shorey as they was known back in eversham ;
the shaws was a close neibour to grand father and my mother whom lived there in the old village shore rented out cottages
to the birmingham people whom came out fruit picking an hops in betwen the cold days of wars
also grand father used to rent out his cottage as well if any of our familys connections did not want to go there in the summer times
the goughs was one of the familys that used to go for a week or two down there
when w went there quite often we would pick all the plums and apples to bring back to brum for all the neibours of cromwell square [ terrace ]
on the lichfield rd in big boxes and banna boxes tons of it ; and disbribute to all the neibours the shaws owned lots of land as well
the jelfs was market gardners in and through out the worc area ;if you checlk land records they go back way to the 1800s
there ancesters and the hughes family ;
but any way getting back on track the main people i am trying to research is florence harrison and junior
this as been like a gold nugget for me to receive all this info from you and bewdley ; a million thanks to you both ;
there is a book on the village some where knocking aboutits called the honeybournevillage mililiam but i cannot find a copy any where
it was a limited edition its stories are enrich with the shaws family history and the jelfs history connecting them to the village for centries ;
plus other peoples life and rememberance of the old village ;
many thanks lady linda i can now persue my finishing touches to my tree best wishes astonian;; astonian;;;

HI bernie
what a great surprize to wake up to a great picture find and yes it is a great picture and well captured by the photographer
whom ever took this picture
Bernie it is most certainly indeed my familys of ancesters shops for generations before the war years and long after
from grt grand father and through each member of the sons and my grand father was the last one in his family to own it
they all own it at one time through there generations and at the same time they had seveal all around that aston cross from both sides of the cross on park lane and the bottom end of rocky lane as well all at the same tme in the early years along the aston rd north ;lichfield rd as well
across from there on parl lane no; 235 --and 237 was another one 235 was there chippie and between there was an opening of a drive down which was the rear of park lan where the ware housing was and a little terrace house where a mrs mac used to rent the house from them
and on the front again of park lane back to the front of the drive which was next door to the chippie ws the coffee houe and he had flats above it
with ladies living up stairs across the rd from the coffee house and the chippie there was another chippie which they owned
but grand father ernie jelf ; sold it to a little guy called cyril a little blonde hair guy and hi wife ; which was next to the billard hall
my father used t run the billaird hall ustairs as a manager he also used to run the shops the jelfs had around aston
for them ; we only lived along the road from the cross at 5/92 lichfield rd a stones throw friday and saturday nights mom used to
down to the chippie that they had and we would sit in and have fish and chips or what we wpould ever want free
well as its family my dad running it and the shops belong to her father my mother was joyce ivy beatrice jelf
the one and only child to birtha hinton and ernest jelf so it did not matter about paying ;
in total the jelfs owned thirty three shops and two resturants and and two chippies given at any one time ;
including in the city centre pus the crocery hire and caturing bussiness ; they had contracts for the city of birmingham council
house and the old GPO in the city for all the year round contracts and the done all the high society wedding and fuctions
as i said the amount of shops was plenty all over birmingham you name it they had a cafe or some think there
all around aston ; hocklley city centre and a gun shop in the old city quarter
johny dixon and his brother used to drive and delivery ther provisions of foods and alsorts from there two ware houses in brum
when they was out of the foot ball season
the shop you have posted is billient and i will ge my son top down load it and transfere it to my collection
my grand father ernest jelf sold that corner bussiness to lathams the paint and decorating merchants way back in the fifties
i spent many a day in that shop my auntie maud used to live in white house street when she was single and she usd to work
in there for grand father ernie jelf wher she met and courted a billy smart from holte rd aston and on the sixty years of marrige
they published ther story and pictue in the birmingham evenin mail
also i would like to add that a mr and mrs butts a news agents family from selly park birmingham did give me the information years ago
and in her own words that the jelfs was the top people in birmingham for all the high society wedding of the high society people of the elite
and if you was some one from that class of society you would have had your wedding and functionionsdone by then
they supplied all the top foods of menus and all cut glass and high grade silver ware and served by waitress in a black and white uniform
they was on parr with joe lyons they was there competirors grt grand father bought the bussines resturant from pattison and hughes in the
burlington arcade way back in the1800s or the early 1900s mom had told us the story and mr hughes asked mom many time to marryu him but she fell
fowl of a bloke whom turned iout to be my father as he got her pregnant at a very early years and they had to try and get him away from him by takling him to court ; but love prevailed they used to keep her locked inand warned him off but she very silly ran away and got maried so it never happenend between mr hughes and her self but i can tell you that many years after she reflected on her down todded life with my father and when he died
in 1959 at the age of 42 years old of cancer she tried to track him down but it was of no prevail and of course because of her actions after her mom
died in 1953 her father and the jelfs turned there back on her for forty years or more until his time came for death and he soon tracked her down to our house in victoria rd pleading with her to take him in and he proised her the left over of finance and the bussiness of park lane but it was not there
as one of his brothers short changed her by pretending there aint no will in the safe he said he could not find a key to the safe but he will get a lock smith to open it when he did he said joyce there is only old letters i have burnt them only to find out that he also conned her out of his rollex watch
as he was in the general hospital dying his brother used to go to see him and every day he was there he use to say to mother joyce the only thing i want from him is the watchoff him and all the time he had removed it long before his death and was wearing it and on the day of his death my mother said to himdo you want the watch he replied yes but i have already got it on so infact he as took itfromday one and she was never wise up to it
is brother died 12 months later ;
Bernie ; sorry to have waffled on the way i have its a habbit i have but it serves my memoris of the jelfs there is alot more about the real jelfs of aston peoplenever knew they only see the front of the jelfs by there coffee shops there shops was always about a mile apart but they never spokke to each other
and always tried to do out each other butthey always sold the shops to each other asthey died
berniemany thanks again and best wishes to you and all the members ;
Astonian ;;;;;;;

Astonian, Reference the book about Honeybourne that you mention. you could try these people as they were involved in its publication.

The Friends of Old Honeybourne
The Old Chapel
High Street
Honeybourne
Evesham
Worcestershire
WR11 5PQ

hi nick ;
yes orinionaly thats the person whom compiled them in the old chapel;and i recall the old chapel from boy days of living there directly across the rd in an old thatch cotage the printer as moved o and no-one as a forewarding address
and they was a limited eddition ;spo its gonna be difficult to track if i am lucky ;i actualy bought it from him a couple of years ago ;
there is a lady in the vilage whom runs the old friends of honeybourne may be i should asked her if she new where he mayhave gone
the chapel stands empty now ; i go to the village quite often to see the old folk of the vilage whom recall my mother and the jelfs history ; very well carol jelf whom is a later section of the family tree runs a market garden there in the villagre when i say a later one i mean a younger generation ;
its her husbands father whom is thesenior member within the jelfs i have spoken to her many times of the old days ;
many thanks nick best wishes astonian;;

Hi i am looking for any relatives of my late Grandad Edward Harrison who was born 3/5/1904 stirchley birmingham and died i think 1967 before i was born i heard he had three sisters and four brothers we know absolutely nothing about his side of the family.Any help would be great thanks.Paul

Back