• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HARRIS - Mott Street,

J

jannywanny

My gt grandfather x3 was born circa 1907 in Wiggington, Staffs but lived for the most part of his life on Mott Street, Birmingham with his wife Mary nee Shakeshaft from Middleton, Warks. His occupation was Waggoner / Carter.

His two brothers also lived on Mott Street - Thomas and William; both worked as Milkmen / Dairymen. Only Thomas married.

Harris is quite a common name, so any information of the Harris's parentage would be greatly appreciated.

What was your great grandfather's name? Mine was FRED HARRIS - married to Emily.
Their children: CLEMENT, ANNIE, ELLEN, JOHN, MAUD & MILTON

CLEMENT HARRIS - Who did he marry and when - they had a daughter: LILIAN - would like to know if she had any siblings?

FRED HARRIS's SIBLINGS: HENRY, ALF, SAMEUL, FRANK, THOMAS & EMILY

If you could supply a few dates that would help as we could look on the BMD and the Census for you/

Chris /Pom :angel:

Hi, it would be great if you could help!

The ONLY information that I have according the the 1901 census is that Celement Harris was born about 1892.

It states that Clement's parents were FRED (aged 35) & EMILY (aged 28)

Their children at the time was: CLEMENT (aged 9), ANNIE (aged 2), ELLEN (aged 7), JOHN (aged 6), MAUD (aged 4) and MILTON (aged 12)

CLEMENT HARRIS was my grandmother (LILIAN HARRIS)'s FATHER
I AM DESPERATE TO FIND THIS SIDE OF THE FAMILY, paticularly Lilian's family!

Lilian Harris was married to my grandfather - the Birmingham boxer: Len Tiger Smith (Leonard Horace Smith)

Trust I will be fortunate enough to receive some info (ancestors and decendants) will be wonderfull!

Emmie

215 BROOKLOALE ROAD, WILTON - this is the address noted on my grandfather's marriage certificate - the address for: LILIAN HARRIS whom he married on the 6th August 1934. The marriage certificate no: AB 445761.
I guess this is where her parents and siblings also lived and I am trying to trace any of the ancestors in order to find my grandmother - Lilian's decendants.:crying:

Lilian's father was:
CLEMENT HARRIS - born about 1892 - son of Fred & Emily Harris
Lilian married when she was 21 years old. Her wedding day was 6th August 1934. She married Leonard Horace Smith - the Birmingham boxer: Len Tiger Smith

Hi Emmie, just for reference, is this your family in 1901

Name:Clement Harris
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1892
Relation:Son
Father's Name:Fred
Mother's Name:Emily
Where born:Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire, England
Civil parish:Sowerby Bridge
Ecclesiastical parish:Christchurch
County/Island:Yorkshire
Street Address:
Registration district:Halifax
Sub-registration district:Sowerby
ED, institution, or vessel:7
Household schedule number:147
Household Members:NameAge
Fred Harris
Emily Harris
Milton Harris
Clement Harris
John Harris
Ellen Harris
Maud Harris
Annie Harris

bren

Last edited:
Marriage and Birth --

Clement Harris/Ethel Bottomley 1st qtr 1912 Halifax 9a 704

Lilian Harris mmn Bottomley 2nd qtr 1913 Halifax 9a 704

And yes, they are the correct volume and page numbers, i double checked, what are the the odds on that happening

bren

215 BROOKLOALE ROAD, WILTON - this is the address noted on my grandfather's marriage certificate - the address for: LILIAN HARRIS whom he married on the 6th August 1934. The marriage certificate no: AB 445761.
I guess this is where her parents and siblings also lived and I am trying to trace any of the ancestors in order to find my grandmother - Lilian's decendants.:crying:

I am assuming you have this cert, could the address be --

Brookvale Road, Witton

I think others will agree that that is more likely the address

bren

Harris Birth's --

Milton 4th qtr 1888 Halifax 9a 466
Clement 1891
Ellen 4th qtr 1893 Halifax 9a 421
John ??
Maud 1st qtr 1897 Halifax 9a 451
The only Annie i could find
Annie Mary 4th qtr 1899 Todmorden 9a 221

?? There is a possible two for John, the 1901 Census was taken on the 31st March and states he was 6yrs old, the first one easily 6yrs, the second might have been 6yrs just after the Census and they gave that age ??

John Henry 4th qtr 1894 Halifax 9a 471

bren

John 2nd qtr 1895 Halifax 9a 440

My gt grandfather x3 was born circa 1907 in Wiggington, Staffs but lived for the most part of his life on Mott Street, Birmingham with his wife Mary nee Shakeshaft from Middleton, Warks. His occupation was Waggoner / Carter.

His two brothers also lived on Mott Street - Thomas and William; both worked as Milkmen / Dairymen. Only Thomas married.

Harris is quite a common name, so any information of the Harris's parentage would be greatly appreciated.

Hi jannywanny

Need a christian name for your 3xgg and if possible some idea for his brother's year of birth

bren

Hi Bren, THIS IS THE FAMILY! Thank you so much!!.

The trick is now to try and find a death certificate for Lilian Harris, what she died from/of, where she was burried etc, and to trace her siblings decendants.

I sincerely appreciate your help - hope you can help me find further information with regards to my grandmother - Lilian Harris?

Emmie:)

Hi Emmie, not good i'm afraid, first i looked for siblings of Lilian in Yorkshire or Warwickshire, nothing, i then looked country wide, there was two Harris/ Bottomley births but they was ten and twelve years later in Wales so seem very unlikely.
I then searched for any children of Lilian and Leonard in Warwickshire, this covers Birmingham and surrounding area's, problem, both Smith and Harris are very popular names and there must have been a lot of Smith men married to Harris women as in four years from their marriage i found approximately forty births for Smith with mothers maiden name of Harris. The only thing i did find was the entry for her marriage --

Lilian Harris/Leonard H Smith 3rd qtr 1934 Birmingham 6d 1232

bren

Thanks Bren, the marriage certificate is that of my grandparents!!
Should you come accross any further info, please pass on to me??

Another thread I have is that Lilian's mother was ETHEL BOTTOMLEY.
ETHEL's PARENTS were: JANE & EDWIN BOTTOMLEY
JANE's MOTHER was: HELEN BUCKLEY - do not know her father's first name.

thanks again!
Emmie

Hi Emmily,

I have just been told by my brother that our uncle was 'Tiger Smith' the boxer. googled him and your posts came up!

My fathr was Charles (Charlie) Smith 1911 - 1982, re to Doris Brabury, Cildren, Edward, David, Larry, Jean, Kathleen (me) nd Barbara.

Dad had a number of older brothers one of which I believe was Len.

How are you related to him?

Kathi Burrell nee Smith

This is really weird!
I'm looking for photo's/memorabilia of my Grandad - Charlie 'Tiger' Smith 1911 - 1982 - from Birmingham. He was a boxer in the Army. I suspect that he would've been a featherweight.
He had exceptionally blue eyes and was only about 5'4".
He married Mary Tainty and had two children. I think his old family originally came from Monmouthshire way, but he spend most of his civilian life in the pubs of Birmingham.
Does this ring a bell (excuse the pun!) to anyone?

Last edited:
Back