• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HARRIS, John, locksmith

M

Marymar

My 2g grandfather was William Harris, who on the 1851 census was living in Bedford, Leigh, Lancashire, and working as a miner. His birthplace was given as Birmingham, as it also was on the 1861 census. I have been unable to find him in 1841. William died in Salford Union Workhouse in 1864.

On his marriage certificate his father John's occupation is stated to be 'Locksmith'. I have been searching for several years for more information about William's roots but with no success so I am wondering whether anyone can help, although I realise that this is 'needle in a haystack' territory.

William married Margaret Yates at the Wesleyan Chapel, Pennington, in 1852. Their children were Mary, Jane, Martha, John, Elizabeth and Ellen, all born in Leigh.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What year was william born, or what ages were stated on census' and when he died...? there are many John and William Harris's

What year was william born, or what ages were stated on census' and when he died...? there are many John and William Harris's

Apologies for omitting basic information! In the 1851 census William's age is given as 22, on his marriage cert on 31 January 1852 he is again stated to be 22; and in the 1861 census he is said to be 33. On the death certificate of 1 Dec 1864 he is said to be 34 years old. Although there are slight discrepancies in the age, I am sure that these documents relate to the same person.

Thank you for your reply. Any help much appreciated.

Back