• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harriet Heath

evacar52

knowlegable brummie
I cannot find any birth or baptism record for Harriet Heath born in 1858. She was listed on census documents as born in Birmingham and her parents were Joseph Heath 1814-1892 and Harriet (Townley) Heath 1816 -1867. I looked on GRO records and BMD with no success. Are births sometimes not registered or was she perhaps adopted.?

evacar52

Attachments

• Joseph Heath 1861.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 10
It was not compulsory to register a birth until 1874, although most were registered.
Have you found registrations for all the other children.
Legal adoptions started in 1927 but families often took in children of relatives or friends as their own children.

I have moved this thread to surnames.

Last edited:
It was not compulsory to register a birth until 1874, although most were registered.
Have you found registrations for all the other children.
Legal adoptions started in 1927 but families often took in children of relatives or friends as their own children.

I have moved this thread to surnames.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I was able to find registration for the other children, just not Harriet. So it might be that she was not registered or possibly taken in and raised as a daughter. Thanks for the information about the date for compulsory birth registration date.

Back