• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hardly ant space left

Patty

master brummie
hardly any space left

:explode::explode::explode::explode:Morning all,
I have just looked at how much space I have left on my laptop and it says's 1.56 CB , It was about 3 quarters full not so long ago, cant think why it has filled up so quick. I went in to have a look what programs I had on, I went into add or remove, is that the right place? I have took 2 screen shots to show you, the odd thing is I cant see all the programs I have IE face book, spotify and a few others on this list. Why is that am I looking in the wrong place? I don't know what the first one is. I was wondering if I needed all of them or could take something off to make more room? I don't think I have more than normal of photo's, is there a way of checking that? I tried to defrag but it said
volume has only 15% FREE SPACE, to use defrag to run effectively you require at least 15% usable free space. there is not enough free space to complete this operation so delete some unneeded files on you hard drive.
Any easy answers

View attachment 38194

View attachment 38195

Last edited:
I think you need to be looking at your folders and files for things to delete not necessarily your programs. Windows has a habit of storing back up files etc that are not required.

Try running CCleaner (previously known as Crap Cleaner.

You could also try compessing some files but run CCleaner first.

Hi Patty, how big is the hard drive in the first place? To find out open My Computer and Right Click on the C: Drive and then click properties. Let us now this info and I will let you know what action to take. In the mean time make sure the Recycle bin is not full with stuff that can be deleted permanently.

I do not know how big your hard drive is but you do not appear to have an excess of programs on it. I am a sucker for Photo imaging programs, I have four that I play with, and loads more audio and video stuff. The hard drive is 160Gb and I have 92% free.

Perhaps you store a lot of photos ,films or documents which could be off loaded to CD or Dvd or External drive. My Mrs is always complaining that the hard drive in her computer is full. It is. Its full of games she downloads and photos that have never been sorted and put on to CD. Its all my fault because I have not fitted a bigger hard drive.

Talking of bigger hard drives they are not difficult to fit and additional external drives are not to expensive and easy to use. I have a Lacie 500gb where I store all the bigstuff like photo albums and videos.

Just hope I have given you a few ideas before you delete stuff that you may regret later

regards...arkrite

I think I am going to get in a mess with this one. I wont know what to delete hope you can talk me through it. Here is the drive.

View attachment 38196

I have run disc cleaner through, just a though you know in the list of things they show you, do you have to tick the ones you want taken off or do you tick them for not taking off

Last edited:
Which cleaner did you run? It removes those with ticks against them.

CCleaner usually only suggests deleting items no longer required but it also sets a reset point just in case. Your hard drive is far too full and you could end up with problems so as suggested now may be the time to off load some files to a CD - DVD or an external hard drive available from any friendly neighbourhood Maplin.

Does any one else think that a 30 Gig hard drive is a bit small these days ? I dont think I could live with one that small. An external drive would certainly give some extra living space.

This is after

View attachment 38201

View attachment 38202

Can you tell me why the first one had
34,555 KB temporary files and 24,616 KB compressed files then after the clean up they still had compressed 18,317 files left on and the temp had 944 files left on???
doesn't it take them all off??? I am so confused, also my page keeps going over to the left and I have to keep taking it back, Oh dear I think it is going to be one of those days or perhaps weeks

Last edited:
Arkrite - I agree as most stuff these days occupies loads of disk space particularly photos.

This Desktop has been upgraded to 250Gb and the old laptop was upgraded to a 80 Gb drive. OH's newish Netbook has a 'measly' 160 Gb.

Time to stick a bigger drive in Patty or add an external drive.

I brought a portable H.D 320 gig just plug and play can format it if you want to 1 month ago 50 quid can,t go wrong .Dek

Just plug it in and that is it Patty - really simple even my OH can do it. Phew good jobs she does not read this forum.

Patty ,easy peasy just plug it in a usb plug you will get a pop up saying you have new hardware go into MY computer on your menu you should see a new icon make a note of it,s letter probably D-E-F etc. When ever you want to save anything just send it to the appropriate letter job done.Dek

I'll go to PC world and have a look then, thanks. Has anyone looked at the clean up thing I put on??? am I doing it right???

Pass - it is one of the reasons I use CCleaner not the Microsoft cleaner.

Patty I would urge you to use Maplin not PCWorld if you have one nearby. Or eBuyer for example as a net based company.

Both my nephew and my BiL have worked for PCW and they will never recommend them to any of their friends.

Hi Patty,
Although I use a portable hard disk 320GB bought from Tesco, I keep all my photos on a 4GB USB memory stick (won't call it a dongle). I bought a twin pack of 2 - 4GB sticks from PC world. I moved all my photos onto one and keep 'back-up' copies of them on the other. The memory stick can be plugged into any computer, no cables needed, and the photos can be seen. I don't keep all my photos in my laptop, the 'master' copies are on the stick. If I go to relatives, and want to show them my pics I just plug the stick into their 'puter. :)

OM - I am now whacking myself over the head for not suggesting just this solution to Patty.

I use Zoombits (used to be Memorybits) who can be found here they even have some USB Flash Drives in Pretty Girlie pink

I'll go to PC world and have a look then, thanks. Has anyone looked at the clean up thing I put on??? am I doing it right???
Patty - I would leave the 'compressed' files as they are, they are files you haven't looked at recently. Some might be unimportant, but others might be important. With regard to PC World, I would not buy anything which 'moves or runs' from them, but memory sticks are usually ok, if the price is right. They sometimes have special offers with twin packs. I did however, recently buy an 8GB memory stick from Tesco when they had a special offer.

Patty,
I would agree with Bernie - use Ccleaner to clean the disc - much better and quicker than the Windows built in one. (I thought we'd been through downloading, installing and running it a while ago.)

As also suggested, I would move all my photos, music and videos to an external USB drive as recommended above.

Another thing I would do/ have done to save a bit more space is replace Adobe PDF reader with Foxit. Beside loading faster, being less of a nag for updates and easier on resources, just look at the size (see below): 2.84mb compared to Adobe's 183mb in your screenshot.

We probably did Paul but I've been to bed since. I did use CCleaner before but I think the man must have took it off why I dont know. I will insall it again, will I have enough space??? What size memory stick shall I get, I dont mind buying a big one, I dont know how many photo's I have. For ex how many pics would 4gb hold ect

I agree Patty, another USB drive would be the answer. If you or someone you know have a Makro card they have a good deal for USB hard drives at pressent. A 1Tb (1 Tera Byte = 1000 Giga Byte) for £49.99 + VAT and it is a Seagate, failing that try eBuyer for best price. You could have a larger drive fitted to the PC, however this would mean a clean install of Windows or getting someone to Ghost the drive then resize the partition. This may cost in the region of £100. I should imagine that the PC is a bit old if 30Gb drive was the one it came with so it would not be worth that kind of money spent on it. If you moved all your documents to a USB drive I should think you would have about 15 - 20Gb free on the PC drive looking at what you have installed and taking into account Windows + Updates.

As you're using a laptop I don't think fitting a second internal drive is an option. I got a Maxtor 320gb, 2.5" disc on special offer at Curry's. It's no longer available there but is HERE at Maplins. It does exactly what it says on the tin for me- just plug it in then drag and drop your files onto it once it's recognised.

Oisin, you are right mate, sorry I did not notice it was a laptop, it would cost an arm and a leg to upgrade the drive in it, that is if the BIOS would recognise a large drive anyway. I think a USB external drive would be the only option.

Yes Patty Maplin:)

One trouble with Maplin you have to send goods back to the address they give if it goes wrong at your own cost.

Having said that I have a lot of stuff from Maplins which didn't go wrong including my Seagate external drive which I've had for over 3 years now.

Last edited:
Which shall i get then the one from makro or maplins???? are they both the same do they hold the same amount?? I can go to Makro tonight it is 5mins from me

Go for Makro if you are that close and can I borrow your card ;)

Back