• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Smint100

Brummie babby
I'm now wondering whether Bishops refers to Bishops Croft?

Bishops Croft, Birmingham, Birmingham (britishlistedbuildings.co.uk)

Mum said that they used to regularly collect waste food for the pigs from the big houses in the local area

There are other photos in that series that feature Mr Cooksley and Mr Rutter (who I think may have been the organisers), Jill Corbett, Allen Turner and Madge W, Joan L, T Todd, Frank I, Ray J and George R if anyone recognises those names/initials

Last edited:

Smint100

Brummie babby
That's very interesting! It must have served her well as Mum went to be a Land Girl with Fred Archer who wrote a number of books about Ashton-under-Hill. I don't whether she's specifically mentioned, but she worked alongside Joyce who became his wife, and used to tell of falling from the hay barn onto the back of a bull which carted her round the farm yard. After that, she worked for Mr Rutter (as above) at Birmingham University growing the plants for the experiments, before her father shipped her off to Malvern to run a shop with her brother, Baron.

Samlilly

Hi Anthea i think i have got this wrong then the school my brother went to was on the corner of Station Rd and Emerson Rd,and i
thought that photo was that school,
Hi enthea i myself went station in the 60s mrs dunitt was misterss in the inf and mr jenkins headmaster in the jun.sam lilly i lived in noth rd the cottages and played on the steam trains

pam m

master brummie
Hi enthea i myself went station in the 60s mrs dunitt was misterss in the inf and mr jenkins headmaster in the jun.sam lilly i lived in noth rd the cottages and played on the steam trains
Hello Samlilly, I myself went to Station road school in the 60s, those names ring a bell mrs Dunnit and Mr Jenkins, have you got a picture of the cottages in North road at all it would be lovely to see them, I grew up in Gordon road not far from the fruit and veg shop on the corner