• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne

There was a maternity home in Lordswood Road. I think it is the building known as Dore House which is now a care home.
yes indeed david...i have a friend born there in 1951...think it was an overspill maternity hospital used when closer ones were full up..if the search box is used we may have a thread for it with photos

lyn

I used to take my fathers radio accumulator to Dingleys the cycle shop for recgarging until Durrants the radio shop provided the same service. There was a cycle shop adjacent on the right of the Vine pub. Clearly seen in the Vine photo.
Carolina, just picked up your photo of the top end of the high Street. It's exactly as I remember it having left the village in 1961. The Mews Garage sign is fixed to the wall of O'connors paper shop. I used to deliver papers for them round Serpentine Road. If Elizabeth Redmond is reading this I'm wondering if she lived in the houses next to Furbers and would remember the Reeves family (Tony and Noel and Dianne). We lived on the corner, at 275 and had a pair of shears over the top of the front door as my Grandfather (Joe Bellingham) and my dad ground lawnmowers and shears in a shed at the back. Out of interest, does anyone have, or know where I can get a photo of the inside of The Picture House (Old Harborne) in Serpentine road. I spent half my childhood in there and have fond memories of it

Oh my word - looking for something completely different, I happened upon this page!

My mother (Beryl)'s father owned Beaumont's removals. Her sister Joan worked in the office, and her brothers James (Jim) and Charles (Bill) used to work on the vans. They sold out to Jay's in the end. Another of Mum's sisters married Tom Leonard who worked for Furber's (I think it became Furber-Leonard?) and lived in Queen's Park Road. Mum's family moved from Milford Road to Lordswood Road in one of those big old scary Victorian houses two (I think) doors down from the old swimming baths - all long gone now.

My Dad's parents ran the sweet shop in the High Street and they lived above it, although I think it was a carpet shop at one point. They still used the phrase "Sharp's the Toffee" to hurry us up, and (somewhere) I still have a toffee hammer from when they used to serve the toffee loose.

This thread, and in particular, this post, has brought back some very happy memories :)
Smint100. My dad (Jack Groves) worked for Beaumonts doing removals for a number of years. We lived in the house next to Furbers on the High Street.

Hi all,

Random one here, does anyone know what year the row of terraces at the end of station road/start of gordon road were built. They're distinctly a different style to the rest of the houses on the road? :)

If I understand you correctly, you mean the houses on the bend? Only a rough idea but...

On the map revised 1901 there are only two properties between Wentworth Road and the fire station (oppositish Albany Road).

The next available map was revised 1913 and all the houses are now there. The layout of the houses appear to be the same as now.

0 - Gordon Road.jpg

Hi All. I have just registered with your group. I happened to enter Tonks' garage on the web which was opposite my grandfather's shop (Scarf's) in the High Street, now Rumours hair salon. You have mentioned the Jennings family, who owned numerous businesses. I met many of them through the Harborne Club in Albany Road. I was born in the maternity hospital in Lordswood road in 1957. I think I was at school with Sam Lilly in 1963 at Station Rd?

If I understand you correctly, you mean the houses on the bend? Only a rough idea but...

On the map revised 1901 there are only two properties between Wentworth Road and the fire station (oppositish Albany Road).

The next available map was revised 1913 and all the houses are now there. The layout of the houses appear to be the same as now.

View attachment 185628
Thankyou! Yes, those are the ones. Can i ask what website your using for the maps?

Back