• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

handsworth wood girls school Mrs Hinchcliffe

Thank you for replying, Mercy and a happy belated New Year to you. Fingers cross! Do you remember the following teachers: Mrs Lamb-English; Mrs Hills-Art; Miss Speck-Arts; Mrs Grenshaw and Mrs Parry-Home Economics; Mr Potter-Math; Mrs Jones/Gallegar(I think)Science; Mrs Griffiths-Biology; History teacher whose name I don't remember, Mr Rogers-English; Mrs Warwick-pupils welfare officer (gossip) and many teachers whose names I don't remember.

Thank you for replying, Mercy and a happy belated New Year to you. Fingers cross! Do you remember the following teachers: Mrs Lamb-English; Mrs Hills-Art; Miss Speck-Arts; Mrs Grenshaw and Mrs Parry-Home Economics; Mr Potter-Math; Mrs Jones/Gallegar(I think)Science; Mrs Griffiths-Biology; History teacher whose name I don't remember, Mr Rogers-English; Mrs Warwick-pupils welfare officer (gossip) and many teachers whose names I don't remember.

Hi there...Happy New Year to you too.....can only get better. I remember a Miss Smith for English, my favourite subject in my second year, she was also my form teacher , but left that year which would have been 1965. In 3rd year we had the first male teacher in the school ever for English,a Mr Clements. and I had a massive crush on him, right up until he left in 5th year. He was very kind about my poetry, and encouraged me to start the literary magazine, which was such a success, the girls throughout the school loved it. I Romberg Mr Potter, I think he went bald trying to teach me maths. Strange because I went on to do well later in life with it. Mr Johns took me for Geography, which I loved too, and he was my form teacher in 3rd year. There was also another English teacher called Mr Fisher, who was eccentric, but a brilliant, and well read teacher, with a wicked dark sense of humour. Mrs Parry hated me, I burnt everything, and remember “ the flat “ on the top floor, were two girls at a time would cook for teachers, and host a dinner party, and pretend they lived there, it was so lame, I hated my turn. I am still not a domestic goddess. Mrs Hills also told me I would never be good at art, when my pottery flew off the wheel during class, by accident, I was banned from coming to art classes as I answered her back in my defence. I spent art lessons in the library, which was no punishment for me. I became an artist after going to Art School in my thirties, and now make a living from my work. I often dreamt I would meet her at one of my exhibitions.. I don’t know the other teachers you mention. Seems the school had a decline, and failed years later, but I loved it when I was there 1964-1970, I completed 6th form. It’s sad to see pictures of it all boarded up, I had a great education there, and went on to become not only an artist, but a social worker, as a young woman. I think of my time there fondly. It was a great looking School when I was there, and the outside had gorgeous trees, and grounds, and a leafy pathway to the playgrounds, and sports field. The area was very well to do in those days. Hope I haven’t bored you with my reminiscing. Would love to hear back with some more stories. Stay safe Diana.

Sent from my iPad

On 2 Jan 2021, at 20:07, Birmingham History Forum <[email protected]> wrote:
Cindi replied to a thread you are watching at Birmingham History Forum.
handsworth wood girls school Mrs Hinchcliffe
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread handsworth wood girls school Mrs Hinchcliffe at Birmingham History Forum with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.​

Hi all,
I’m not sure if the users here are still active and will see this..but to anyone reading this I hope you are happy to hear that Handsworth Wood Girls is still open and still going after many years. I recently left in July of last year, and I’m currently planning on making a scrapbook for the school with all the old photos of the school site (before and after a) as well as photos of former pupils who used to attend. I’d really appreciate if anyone has any photos of the school they wouldn’t mind sharing :), here’s one old photo I have found so far! 6A39B110-64B9-4793-B887-C8DDEFB19BC7.jpeg

Hi all,
I’m not sure if the users here are still active and will see this..but to anyone reading this I hope you are happy to hear that Handsworth Wood Girls is still open and still going after many years. I recently left in July of last year, and I’m currently planning on making a scrapbook for the school with all the old photos of the school site (before and after a) as well as photos of former pupils who used to attend. I’d really appreciate if anyone has any photos of the school they wouldn’t mind sharing :), here’s one old photo I have found so far! View attachment 154734
Thanks Martha.....lovely picture of my old school.....when I posted my thread...I had just seen pictures of the school boarded up.....and signs outside at the gateway advertising a completly different activity, taken much later....1970s or even 80s I think. I was there between 1964 and 1970.
I havn't any photos...but am still in contact with two of my old class mates. I no longer live in Birmingham.....but I would appreciate any more info that you may find. What dates were you there...?
Kind Regards

Hi Mercy,
I’m one of the recent students of the school but went there for year 7 since 2013 and recently left the sixth form Last July so I’m currently in first year of uni but It’s really interesting looking at the history of the school and what it’s been through. I have some more recent photos of the school but I’m not sure if it’s the same building/ site you may have been in when you were at the school? ( as I’m aware it used to be the boys school). Whilst I was in the school a lot of students and some teachers used to tell us that the boys set fire to their part of the school ? Although I’m not sure how true that was .

Attachments

• BC4DBF0B-7205-4EDB-A01B-27A059B16ADD.jpeg
    BC4DBF0B-7205-4EDB-A01B-27A059B16ADD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Hi Vivienne14.
How are you keeping?
This photo I have never seen before, especially with Mrs Clara Hinchcliffe. I remember her now. The Birmingham Post, had an obituary on her: "Pioneer headteacher dead" headlines. Her daughter called the school Handsworth Grammar School for Girls!!!

Do you remember the head mistress Mrs Hinchcliffe of Handsworth Wood Girls School?
It may be a coincidence but Tilton Road Headmaster in 1969 was Mr Hinchcliffe. Could be his wife What years was this lady the headteacher at Handsworth Grammar School?

Correction jim1uk2001.m Handsworth Wood Girls Secondary School. Mrs Clara Hinchcliffe was the headmistress from 1960? - 1980? I think I heard some gossips in the school playground in the 1970's that her husband was a headmaster (school unknown)
It may be a coincidence but Tilton Road Headmaster in 1969 was Mr Hinchcliffe. Could be his wife What years was this lady the headteacher at Handsworth Grammar School?

It could be a coincidence.
Hi..
This may be another coincidence....
The head teacher at Prince Albert school in Aston was also a Mr Hinchliffe...
That was in 1975/6 , he was not far from retirement and had difficulty with walking...
A very nice man and a very good headteacher.....

Back