• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth - Leonard Road

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from 1910.

Ian.

Thank you for this. I grew up on this street up until last year when we moved to Hampton Road in Aston.

Thank you Ian for the photo's, I have been trying to recall the name of the road for ages. My parents lived in 'rooms' in the 1930's first in Wilson Road PB and then when I was born they moved to Leonard Road. I assume it is behind Birchfield Road, not a stones throw from Handsworth Wood.

My great great grandparents Richard Thomas and Agatha Yates lived at no 14 Leonard Road in the 1890's. Wouldn't it be great if that was their house.

Thanks Mike that link was brilliant I don't know why I never looked before. My great grandparents Arthur and Eliza Yates lived just around the corner at no 74 Carlyle Road. I checked and it looks like the house is still there...we will have to have a drive over and have a proper look.

I am so lucky to have so many family homes still standing. If they were nearer the city they wouldn't be. Thanks for the link Di..x

The first pic looks so much more homely and welcoming.

Macca

Yes, agree totally!

I don't like those 'modern' extentions. Houses look better with their original architecture.
However, I can understand the need for extra space.

Back