• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth - Island Road

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from 1915.

Ian.

It is a long time since I was on Island Road. My aunts house backed onto the golf course, almost opposite the dairy.
I don't recognise it on either of the pictures, as it has a dual carriage way. Is that the island on the right of the right hand picture Ian.
As I went to school on Hollyhead Road I walked past where is goes into Sandwell Road every day for a few years. Many, many years ago. Mo

i cannot wait to take my laptop up to my mums house. She lived at 62 Island Road. She said she used to watch the people walking to the football games.

You can just see the other lane of the dual-carriageway through the trees on the right of the pic. That's Island Road Handsworth all right.

Big Gee

Big Gee is right, the other side of the dual carriageway is over to the far right of the picture. You can just see a notice to the right, which is on the bit of ground between the carriage ways.

I drove up and down Island Road 5 days a week for years, travelling from Perry Barr to West Brom. It hasn't changed all that much.

Big Gee

cdr.jpeg
Island Road 1933. The van on the right of the picture has just leftHandsworth Dairies.

The 3 houses at the top just in the middle of the picture well one of then used to keep a goat in the front garden when I lived there in the 60's, you can see our (well mother in laws)house , past those 3 houses then there is a bungalow to the left, then ours is next door.

Hi All
My father grew up in Newcombe Rd in the early part 1900s and he told me how he and his brother's used to get there sledges out in the winter and sledge down the hill. At this time it was still farm land and a single track road/lane . When I was a lad, in the summer Mom & Dad would at the weekends walk from home in Alexandra Ave to the Uplands Pub via Island Rd were there would be a family gathering over a few pints in the gardens of the pub many happy memories ,bottle of Vimto & packet of Smiths crisps
Regards
Rich
Keep Smiling

HI guys
its also been many years since i was last on island rd i had the pleasure of delivering milk up and around there through handsworth
for midland counties dairy and also i did work at the handsworth dairys before going to midland counties dairy many , many moons ago
and at the bottom of there you can get into handsworth cemetry where i go to visit my parents andbrother and neice graves
or some times i go through the park lane entrance abit further up where the old bike makers of raileigh used to be ;
best wishes astonian;

Hi Alan,

My wife worked at Handsworth Dairies on Island Road as a receptionist back in the 1970's. It was owned by the White family, and she reported to John White. She says it was a good company to work for, by and large.

Cheers,

G

It is a long time since I was on Island Road. My aunts house backed onto the golf course, almost opposite the dairy.
I don't recognise it on either of the pictures, as it has a dual carriage way. Is that the island on the right of the right hand picture Ian.
As I went to school on Hollyhead Road I walked past where is goes into Sandwell Road every day for a few years. Many, many years ago. Mo
Does anyone remember a margaret griffiths she had a sister Jean they lived in Idland Rd in the 1940's and 50's valerieexbrummie

Hi Alan,

My wife worked at Handsworth Dairies on Island Road as a receptionist back in the 1970's. It was owned by the White family, and she reported to John White. She says it was a good company to work for, by and large.

Cheers,

G
Hi G, what was her name, I worked there from 73 until 86 in the Maint’ Dept

Hello, I've just joined the forum,
My grandad worked for wathes, cattell&gurden for 39 years.
Jack Kynaston, lived at 86 cornwall rd, Handsworth, he was a carpenter after 14-18 war but couldn't find a job so joined the dairy, he had a horse and cart, and rember when yogurt was first brought out, you got free tinned fruit with every purchase, he said he never sold one, and look at today, everybody ears yogurt

Hello, I've just joined the forum,
My grandad worked for wathes, cattell&gurden for 39 years.
Jack Kynaston, lived at 86 cornwall rd, Handsworth, he was a carpenter after 14-18 war but couldn't find a job so joined the dairy, he had a horse and cart, and rember when yogurt was first brought out, you got free tinned fruit with every purchase, he said he never sold one, and look at today, everybody ears yogurt
Welcome to the Forum Rebecca

wacaden.JPG

I can understand that people were cautious. The first yoghurt I had was plain and I really didn’t like the sour taste. I think it wasn’t until various fruit flavours arrived that I was tempted. The fruit added sweetness. But today I like plain yoghurt too.

Viv.

Back