• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth during the 50's and 60's

I was delighted to see the information about Ashley Place - I’ve been trying for years to find its exact location.
I was born at 12, Ashley Place in 1950, and was the reason my family moved.

As the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] child of a family living in a two up two down house my parents decided they needed more room. They arranged a private swap with an elderly couple who wanted a smaller place closer to their daughter. The Housing Office thought they were mad as we got a 3 bed semi with a garden, next door to Perry Barr Park! But as both parties were happy with the arrangement the transfer went ahead.

My sister, who will be 80 shortly, seems to remember that the wall at the back of Ashley Place backed onto the Grammar School.
Love reading peoples’ memories of the “old days”.

Lin

Hello Tammy
I live in Cross St just of Wattville went to that 'dred' school with Keith Baythem. Any good ? What do you want too know?

Hi

I went to Wattville Rd school 1947 to 1954 I was in Mr Sandfords class Miss Coopers and Miss Turners
does anyone remember this time I lived in lawnswood Grove off island Rd I remember a Mr Cadman in the juniors
valerieexbrummie

Hello.

I lived in Malvern Road. just across from Island Road and was at Wattvile Road juniors from 1955 to 1959. I was also in Mr Cadman's class, which I think was class 8 next to the cloakroom. He was a big bald chap, a fair few years older than the other teachers, constantly sucking on Polo mints and singing 'How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree'. But he was an okay bloke. If he's still alive he'd be about 120 now.

Hi I am conducting some research at university about social aspects of Handsworth during the 1950's and 1960's. I have conducted a oral interview with a women who was born and grew up on Alfred Street. If any one else grew up around Alfred Street, Watville Road, Downing Street and or Charles Street or local vicinity I would be so grateful if your would like to share any of your childhood memories.
Do you remember Rolfe Street Baths - SlipperBathsWattvilleRoadSchool
Baythems
Charabanc (Sharabang outings)
Back to Backs in Handsworth.
I will be eternally Grateful to anyone who may help
Thank You
Tammy
I went to wattville road school 50 and 60s looking for old freinds

Hi Tammy
just logged on and i can tell you i was born in handsworth, I lived in a grove off Wattville rd,learnt to swim at Rolfe st,train spotted on the rail banks,spent many happy hours down Wasson pool,went to Wattville school,Regal Picture houseand had my hair cut at the training centre by the Albion
Do I know you I lived in earls mead rd went to wattville road school

I went to wattville road school I lived in earlesmead rd 07946383970
Hi Barry, Welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Thank you too for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses or phone numbers on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Back