• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Dairies

Thanks for the information, i thought from the style that it would be around the 1950's, when the light is better tomorrow I will try and get a good image up of both sides.

The dog I have is a retriever, he finds many bottles(tried discouraging him but it doesn't work), he has found many old milk bottles(co op , early ones but in all honesty they weren't kept and got recycled) the others have been old soda bottles with the vulcanised rubber screwtops and a few odds and ends bottle wise.

No there wasn't a bottle dump, it's just where they've been discarded by people whilst walking I believe. He's found them in various places throughout the woods, he's always off smelling things out or digging for mice etc.

That was really useful information, at least I know there's one more in existence lol.

I am not sure how many still follow this thread, but my father was 'Big' John white who was joint MD with David White through the 70's and 80's and the son of Carlton white ( Stephen, his brother died outside Caen after the D day landings as a tank commander for the 2nd Northampton Yeomanry). They brought Cartoning to the UK through deals with Tetra/Purpak and the first computerised production line for a dairy in Europe. Visionary in many ways. Jack White was David, Richard and Jon White's father and Carlton was my grandfather. It was an amazing business in the day and I worked holidays there, as did my brother Nigel and loved it. Nick White, David's son also worked there and Valerie Westwood (cousin of my father was also a director). The FD was John Cox. At the end of the day. despite great success, the milk business had to supply supermarkets, so they squeezed margins and the family saw the future and had to sell. I remember travelling up to 450 miles each day with 'Stan' to service clients who were short of product - great service. Can you imagine companies doing that today?

I am not sure how many still follow this thread, but my father was 'Big' John white who was joint MD with David White through the 70's and 80's and the son of Carlton white ( Stephen, his brother died outside Caen after the D day landings as a tank commander for the 2nd Northampton Yeomanry). They brought Cartoning to the UK through deals with Tetra/Purpak and the first computerised production line for a dairy in Europe. Visionary in many ways. Jack White was David, Richard and Jon White's father and Carlton was my grandfather. It was an amazing business in the day and I worked holidays there, as did my brother Nigel and loved it. Nick White, David's son also worked there and Valerie Westwood (cousin of my father was also a director). The FD was John Cox. At the end of the day. despite great success, the milk business had to supply supermarkets, so they squeezed margins and the family saw the future and had to sell. I remember travelling up to 450 miles each day with 'Stan' to service clients who were short of product - great service. Can you imagine companies doing that today?
Interesting note regarding Tetra-pack, two people one a phd the other an EE (who gave me the biggest opportunity in my life) were are Tetra-pack US in the 80’s and 90’s and were responsible for many product patents and process improvements there. They used many of the process flow, HMI techniques we had previously developed.

Back