• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Cemetery

Shortie

master brummie
In reply to Astonion, on a cemetery thread, I asked the question yesterday about the Asian plots at Handsworth, etc, and I can tell you the following:

The Asian community have not purchased a section of the cemetery. Obviously they like to be buried togehter, and they have to be pointing a certain way, but sections are allocated if and when necessary.

There is no 'shrine', but there is a prayer shelter, so this is probably what the gentleman you spoke to meant. It was more than likely not Handsworth ground staff that you spoke to, they know the real story, but it was probably a contract groundsman, and basically, they speak off the top of their heads and most of the time they have made it up.

'Little slabs' were also mentioned by Astonion, we think you probably mean slabs for cremated remains - these are not present at all at Handsworth at the moment, but may be in the future. The plots at Handsworth are hadstones only (lawn area) or full traditional, which is with kerbs, etc.

I hope this clears up a couple of misconceptions and possibly help others to understand the whys and wherefores of not only Handsworth, but all Birmingham Cemeteries.

Shortie

Thanks Shortie. My dad's buried at Handsworth Cemetery and I often go along for a chat - he's the only one who understands me!
I think it's a lovely cemetery and always looks well kept, except one grave that was near dad's. They had a plastic bench, artificial turf, photographs and lots of gaudy artificial flowers around it. I think most have been removed now (hopefully). Maybe it made them happy, but goodness it was a sight (site?)

Four people have been remanded on armed robbery and kidnap charges after a grave-digging machine was used in a bank raid.
Workers at Handsworth Cemetery were tied up by a gang before the machine was taken to ram a window at the UAE bank in Soho Road on 12 January.
Three men aged 60, 43 and 26 and a woman aged 34 were remanded in custody by magistrates on Friday.
A 29-year-old man arrested on Thursday is still being questioned, police said.
The three men and one woman will reappear at Birmingham Crown Court on 21 May

Hi. I've just come across your Cemetery Plan. Have you any idea whether this is the original layout? I have a family plot reference of square 25 number 4496 burial dated 10/04/1913, complete with Exclusive Right of Interment should I need it!

Hi Grumbleweed

As far as I know, Cemeteries don't change their layout, and I am sure this is the original. Do you mean Section 25? If so, I know where that is. You would only be able to use that plot if it was not full, and that would depend on the depth when it was purchased. I am presuming you have the grant?

Shortie

Grumbleweed if you look at the map the section you want it no 25 and the grave number is 4496. Most graves have a number at the foot of the grave but if not you can work it out from numbers that are still there.

If you are considering visiting, I would suggest you visit the office which is open from 10am until 4pm, and the girls in there will consult their A0 size plans and tell you exactly where the grave is. Handsworth is not the easiest place to find anyone. Some gravestones have gone missing, a lot do not have visible numbers, but the staff will provide you with all details to enabvle you to find it easily and fairly swiftly. Section 25 is on the main driveway if you are going in from Oxhill Road, and the office is just past the chapel.

Shortie

Hi everyone, I am trying to trace a grave of distant relatives. I have a photograph of quite a large Gravestone with the number 366 at the foot.
The first internment marked is Elizabeth Palmer D. 1876. There are several other burials, the last being William Palmer D 1916. The family lived in Ladywood at the time of the first internment. Could it be Key Hill/Warstone Lane/Handsworth. ?. The reason I think it could be Handsworth, is because there is a grave next to it, which gives the name Booth of Tavistock House, Handsworth. The last date on it being April, 1905. Any help will greatly be received. Regards everyone. George.

Hi George, I am sorry, but it won't be Handsworth, as it did not open until 1909. It could be either Key Hill or Warstone Lane, but it could even be Witton. The area where people lived is a pointer, but it is by no means certain that they would have been buried in the nearest cemetery. There are people on this forum with the Key Hill and Warstone index, so they may be of some help. I hope you find them

Shortie

Hi everyone, I am trying to trace a grave of distant relatives. I have a photograph of quite a large Gravestone with the number 366 at the foot.
The first internment marked is Elizabeth Palmer D. 1876. There are several other burials, the last being William Palmer D 1916. The family lived in Ladywood at the time of the first internment. Could it be Key Hill/Warstone Lane/Handsworth. ?. The reason I think it could be Handsworth, is because there is a grave next to it, which gives the name Booth of Tavistock House, Handsworth. The last date on it being April, 1905. Any help will greatly be received. Regards everyone. George.
George this family are in Key Hill so not to take this thread off topic I have posted the details here.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32370

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone be able to shed any light on the wareabouts of the cemetry i could find my hubby,s grandfathers grave.we have a number but can,t make out wether it reads Section 3bc or 36c Number 10988

Could anyone be able to shed any light on the wareabouts of the cemetry i could find my hubby,s grandfathers grave.we have a number but can,t make out wether it reads Section 3bc or 36c Number 10988

Hi, thanks for the picture, I think it may be 36c and looking at the plan in post number 4 it is not far from the office.

Terry

If you go to the cemetery during office hours (10-4) the staff will give you full instructions, including details of nearby graves so you can find it easily.

shortie

Hi Shortie. I notice you mention a llnk to a jpg of Handsworth Cemetery sections but can't seem to locate it. Is it still on here somewhere?

I can't see it Ann, but I do have a plan somewhere - Just unpacking my shopping (well, I was!!) so I will post one shortly.

Well I have had a good look - and for some reason I have plans of all cemeteries except Handsworth - I don't know where it is at all. it is on a disk, but I have hundreds of those, that would take me a long time to find. So - I emailed Handsworth (I know them well) and I got a plan back immediately, the only trouble being it's a Word document and not a jpeg, so I can't upload it to Photobucket.

I am happy to send it to anyone who wants it, but because Photobucket won't accept a Word document, it means I can only do it by email (unless someone can tell me another way). Send me email addresses privately and I shall respond this afternoon.

Shortie

HandsworthCem_zps3c8781c8.jpg
Hmm, brain now in gear, I think I have managed to work out what to do.

You are welcome Ann. I also have Witton, Lodge Hill, Brandwood, Yardley, KH and Warstone, (plus Cheltenham) so if anyone wants any more, just give me the nod and I will do the necessary.

Hi Shortie
Just looking at your reply to Ann, I have family buried at Witton Cemetery any chance you could post the layout for us.
Thanks Cath

WittonCem_zpse6746edd.jpg

Here you are Cath. A little bit small, but if you save it to your computer you might be able to see the numbers when you pan into the picture. 105 acres is a bit large to get comfortably on an A4 sheet!

Shortie

Back