• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stokkie

master brummie
My village had a halloween celebration a couple of days ago with fireworks in a farmer's field and a history walk round the churchyard at night, Lych Gate, yew trees, devil's door. I carved a swede (turnip or neeps for those living in the north) as I remember doing this as a child. They are tough to carve but more frightening than pumpkins. Anyone do this as a child? We produced them for Guy Fawkes too. In Worcestershire long ago the kids used to tuck them into the hedges to startle passers by. Called Hobbledehoys I read. At home we called them Jack O'Lanterns.IMG_2080.jpeg

We never bothered much about halloween as children as there was no trick or treating and we were far too excited about bonfire night. We occasionally went to a halloween party, which was just a regular party with messier activities such as bobbing for apples, but never dressed up. The only dressing up was the guy for the bonfire.

there was no halloween when we was kids. anyway we was busy collecting junk for the bonfire,and penny for the guy.
i did carve the inside out of a swede and put a candle in it to carry around

History of Halloween - Halloween Meaning and Origin

Hi Pete,

The commercial Halloween with pumpkins is certainly bigger now, but I wonder if some of the Guy Fawkes celebrations, like carving a swede crossed over? The article you link to talks about bobbing for apples, telling the future by throwing apple peel over your shoulder to see the initial of your true love and using a mirror to scare yourself. (Bloody Mary is still going strong with young teenagers!) Guy Fawkes isn't big round here these days. There are many ghost stories about particular houses and the village school.

Derek

Hi Pete,

The commercial Halloween with pumpkins is certainly bigger now, but I wonder if some of the Guy Fawkes celebrations, like carving a swede crossed over? The article you link to talks about bobbing for apples, telling the future by throwing apple peel over your shoulder to see the initial of your true love and using a mirror to scare yourself. (Bloody Mary is still going strong with young teenagers!) Guy Fawkes isn't big round here these days. There are many ghost stories about particular houses and the village school.

Derek
same here no guy fawks celebrations now just kids knocking and asking for treats or else. there are a lot of ghosts and haunted place though here 1667227720579.png

As others have said, Halloween was never much of a thing when I was young, it was all about Guy Fawkes night.
The trick or treat thing came over from the USA later - I don't really like it to be honest, it might be ok to go to friends houses or neighbours you know but not just to random houses, it's a bit cheeky and may not be very welcome for one reason or another.

As others have said, Halloween was never much of a thing when I was young, it was all about Guy Fawkes night.
The trick or treat thing came over from the USA later - I don't really like it to be honest, it might be ok to go to friends houses or neighbours you know but not just to random houses, it's a bit cheeky and may not be very welcome for one reason or another.
it is a form of blackmail....guy fawkes was good we would see who made the best guy:grinning:

there was no halloween when we was kids. anyway we was busy collecting junk for the bonfire,and penny for the guy.
i did carve the inside out of a swede and put a candle in it to carry around

History of Halloween - Halloween Meaning and Origin

I never even heard of it until I came to the US in 1962. Was quite surprised when I heard it was celebrated in the UK. Yes, Guy Fawkes was the celebration.

Mom lived in a terrace in Ladywood, she said that the bad lads used to tie the door handles together of houses which faced each other, then knock each door and run.:imp:

I don’t remember much happening around Halloween when I was a child. When I moved to work in Yorkshire (late 60’s) they were celebrating what was called Mischief Night.

I don’t remember much happening around Halloween when I was a child. When I moved to work in Yorkshire (late 60’s) they were celebrating what was called Mischief Night.
Mischief Night is the night before Halloween. While it still occurs in the US it has been minimized because it got out of hand, like everything seems too these days!

Thanks for the giggles - this is my 1st Halloween and didn't expect such fun :laughing:

Di

PS: Couldn't find another sub-forum to post this in

the monsters kept knocking on my brothers door for trick or treat he had gave loads away and was getting a bit fed up with them at 10pm so next time some called he put some items in there bag and off they went, they must have had a cat becouse they never returned i found out it was pouches off wiskers cat food he had put in the bag

Maybe of interest to some..Back in 2012 I was playing the character "Dr. Kelman" at Alton Towers, in a place called THE SANCTUARY. Today, my image is still there at the top of The Smiler Rollercoaster. A little bit of trivia for Halloween.

Attachments

• 1380704_10152017964223185_773123702_n.jpg
    1380704_10152017964223185_773123702_n.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back