• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hallewell Rogers., Lord Mayor of Birmingham 1904

john rees

Brummie babby
Hi

Can anyone confirm the identity of the Lord Mayor of Birmingham who was knighted by King Edward VII at the opening of the
Elan valley dams on 21st July 1904.

thanks
John

thanks for that Dave.

Hard to believe that James Mansergh who surveyed, designed and built the dams over 13yrs was given a polite thank you and the person who just happened to be the present Lord Mayor of Birmingham was given a knighthood, (unless there were other reasons for this honour) but that's another subject.
John

I find it very easy to believe. Comparatively few people who do anything useful are appropriately acknowledged, whereas the company CEOs and politicians who mince and waffle away. usually producing nothing useful are praised and rewarded

Tried to find out a bit more about Sir Hallewell Rogers (1864-1931), who was Lord Mayor of Birmingham in 1904. Couldn't find anything pre-1904. Others on this forum may have better source material. He was chairman of BSA from 1906 to 1928 and was there when the first wholly BSA motorcycle, the 3.5 HP, was built in 1910. This was displayed at the first Olympia show in London that year. Sir Hallewell Rogers was MP for Birmingham Moseley for the short period of 1918-1920. He was Deputy Lieutenant for Warwickshire in 1925. For many years he lived at Greville Lodge, Edgbaston. On a sad note, he lost two of his sons killed in action within three-weeks of each other in 1916. Both were serving in the Royal Warwicks. They are both commemorated at the Thiepval Memorial. Dave.

Hallewell rogers was born in 1864 St Pancras to George ,an accountant,and Maria.
In 1885 he married Lydia Watton Smith and in 1891 they are both boarders at the Lygon Arms in Broadway.
Hallewell age 27 a manufacturer and Lydia age 34.
In 1901 they are in Sir Harrys road, Edgbaston with Esmond age 9 and Esther age 5,there are no more children on any records.
Lydia died in 1908 and Hallewell married in 1923 to Phyllis reeve.
Hallewell rogers died in 1931.

Dave, I have seen another query for Hallewells sons on a Genealogy forum stating that the name of the other son who died and is commemorated at Thiepval is Frank Roster Rogers b 1888,this is incorrect the records for Frank Roster Rogers show his parents as George Robinson Rogers and Lily, he also died in 1916 and his name is on the Thiepval memorial.

Last edited:
Thanks Alberta for the extra information on Hallewell Rogers and for finding that he had only one son. I had also looked at the Genealogy forum reference where it stated, apparently incorrectly, that he had lost two sons in WW1. Dave

Thank you Dave, Alberta For the info. (More than I hoped for)

Mike I agree with you,Hallewell Rogers received his Knighthood for 'Bringing water from Wales to England'.
He only served two terms (two years) ten years after it all started. I must be missing something!!
John

The obituary of Sir Hallewell Rogers (1864-1931) was published in The Times on 17th November 1931. He seems to have been quite a bright guy. He became Lord Mayor of Birmingham at the age of 38, knighted at 40 and Chairman of BSA for many years. He progressed by using his knowledge of politics, business and finance. The obituary is attached. Dave.
P1020187 (2).JPG

Thanks for the extra info Dave.

I know he opened the Small Heath bridge in 1904 in the capacity as Lord Major, but does anyone know if any structure, road, street etc. was ever named after him?
John

Hi John. The only other piece of information that I have on Hallewell Rogers is that he opened Ward End Park. On the 14th May 1904, 25 acres of land were officially opened to the public by Alderman Hallewell Rogers, Lord Mayor. It would be great to have a photograph of him. One would think that a portrait would be taken (photo or painted) of all Lord Mayors of Birmingham. Furthermore, I don't have access to Birmingham newspapers of 1902-1904, but his photo might have appeared in e.g. The Birmingham Post. Dave.

Hi, here is some information about Hallewell Rogers I have gathered together from the newspaper archives - committees he was on and meetings he attended etc.
I have found an article dated 1895 in which it mentions a talk he gave about about the Welsh Water Scheme and his visit to Rhyader and district.
There are no pictures in the newspapers of him (the early papers did not have pictures in them) but I did find a picture of him online on his wedding day on 2nd February 1927 to second wife Phyllis Reeve at the Strand Registry office, London (it is not copyright free so I cannot post it on here).

1886 – July 15
For sale a light Perth four wheeled dog cart suitable for one horse.
Apply to - Hallewell Rogers, 7 Fellows Road, South Hampstead, N.W.

1888- March 22
Mrs Hallewell Rogers is on a list of people donating money for the preservation (purchase) of Rednall Hill, Bromsgrove, Lickey for the purposes of public enjoyment.

1888 – September 24 (also mentioned in years 1889, 1893, 1894)
Birmingham and Midland Skin and Lock Hospital, John Bright Street
Mr Hallewell Rogers, treasurer, Sir Harry’s Road

1888 – October 18
Hallewell Rogers - meeting of the Ward Committee Edgbaston liberal Unionist association

1891 – February 2
Hallewell Rogers is on a list of people donating to The New General Hospital

1891 – April 7 (also mentioned in years 1892, 1893, 1894)
Committee meeting of the Rural Labourers league
They seem to acquire land for allotments – under the act of 1887

1891 – June 19
Meeting of the supporters of the Girls Night shelter, 39 Bath Row.
Mr. Hallewell Rogers attends.
Mrs Hallewell Rogers is listed as the Hon Secretary.

1893 – Hallewell Rogers address starts to appear as Greville Lodge, Edgbaston

1893 – May 31
The Automatic Chain Company (Limited)
A company formed to acquire the patents, business, machinery and stock of Mr Guy Huggings Gardner, chain manufacturer of 42 Caroline Street, Birmingham.
The directors are Mr Francis Veddon Bolton (metal dealer of Broad Street) chairman, Mr Hallewell Rogers (manufacturer) and Mr Gardner (the vendor) as managing director.

1893 – October 17
Liberal unionist committee of St Martin’s Ward
Hallewell Rogers is unanimously adopted as Unionist candidate for the ward.

1893 – October 25
Municipal Elections – St Martin’s Ward.
A meeting of the supporters of Mr Hallewell Rogers, the Unionist Candidate.

A letter is read out from The right hon. Jesse Collings MP stating that he had the pleasure of knowing Mr Rogers and of working with him for some years and he had formed a very high esteem of his energy and ability. He was a member of the Rural labourers league and as president of that association he (Mr Collings) had had the opportunity of witnessing the keen sympathy Mr Rogers had with the rural labouring class and the quiet and valuable work he had given in the promotion of measures to improve their condition. He believed his business habits and experience would enable him to take part in municipal affairs with credit to himself and with advantage to the city.

Mr Rogers said of himself – for many years he had taught in The Clark Street Early Morning School, and he had been a member of the committee of the Rural labourers league, he had also worked in connection with the Skin Hospital in John Bright Street and in all these matters he had always striven to do his best for the working classes and if returned he should continue to do so.

1894 – January 24
National Society for the prevention of cruelty to children, Birmingham branch.
Hallewell Rogers attends.

1894 – February 20
General committee of the Birmingham triennial musical festival
Councillor Hallewell Rogers

1895 – March 2
Walliker Society
This seems to be a society that arranges and pays for elderly people to have outings
Councillor Hallewell Rogers attends.

1895 – March 13
Birmingham Liberal Unionist Association - St Martin’s Ward Annual meeting.
Councillor Hallewell Rogers in speaking about the work of the Water and Gas committees referred at some length to the carrying out of the Welsh water Scheme and described vividly a recent visit he had paid to Rhyader and district.

1897 – June 2
Hallewell Rogers of Greville Lodge, Edgbaston, Birmingham City councillor - Listed as a Director of Chamberlain King and Jones.

1900 - March 30
Third Annual meeting of Chamberlain king and Jones
Hallewell Rogers re-elected as a director.

Last edited:
Thanks Pollypops for that wealth of information. It's amazing how many charitable associations there were in those days with which we are now unfamiliar, e.g.The Rural Labourers' League, Girls Night Shelter, and Walliker Society. It also appears that he was associated with the bringing of water from Wales to Birmingham quite early on and several years before he was knighted in 1904. Thanks again. Dave.

Thanks Pollypops.

The Birmingham water committee made several visits to the Elan valley apparently in secret because London was also sniffing around the area for their own fresh water supply.

The committee members was reportedly to have paid all expenses out of theirs own pockets as stated by Hallewell Rogers.

John

I was in Birmingham yesterday and managed to get a visit to the photograph gallery of ALL the Lord Mayors of Birmingham in the Council House. Took a photograph of Sir Hallewell Rogers who was the Lord Mayor between 1902-4. He must have been aged only 40 in 1904 but by modern standards looks quite a bit older. Dave.
P1020241.jpg

Thanks Dave
He does look much older than 40. Not sure if this was a young age to be a Lord Mayor at the time?, it would be interesting to find out.

More info from Birmingham Daily Post, March 1891

When the "water from distant sources" was proposed in 1891, the Council were reminded that in the year 1871 an elaborate scheme on the whole subject of Birmingham water supply was prepared by order of the Council by Robert Rawlinson (now Sir Robert).....Just as applicable now as 20 years ago. ...examination of the country within a 100 mile circuit showed the District fulfilling best the needed conditions was part of the watershed of Mid-Wales, the rivers Elan and Claerwen..

...It appears that Mr Mansergh, then junior partner in the firm Lawson and Mansergh, assisted Mr Rawlingson at the time of his enquiry in 1871, by making surveys and obtaining information for him, and on these his report was, to a large extent based. At the present time when he (Mansergh) was approached on the matter independently, and with the benefit of subsequent experiences, he has come to the same conclusion as did Sir Robert Rawlinson in 1871....

Back