• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

half penny sponsor ship

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Burlington street school girls visiting their Half Penny sponsor Ship at Newport Wales

more information about the ship

1947 Burlington Street Girls School visit to our adopted ship, the Clan Mcilwraith at Newport. We used to collect 'ship' halfpennies every week to buy books for the crew.

I agree with Pom lovely pictures once again John, thanks for posting.

Nice Photos and what a great idea to collect money for Books for the crew.

John, I have copies of both these photos (I'm not on them) but can name most of the people who are on them if you would like me to. BTW I didn't know about the sponsorship, I would still have been in the Junior School then.

halfpenny sponsership

I would be interested in the name of the lady in the middle of the second photo, she looks very much like a Miss Aslin, my old head teacher at Tinkers Farm School

Yes you are right Williams it is Miss Aslin, she left Burlington Street Senior Girls School about 1949/50 to go to Tinkers Farm, she was a lovely headmistress and was well liked and respected by all the girls. Her replacement was Miss Marsh and her key phrase was "enthusiasm" which she seemed to mention every morning in Assembly. I was told that Miss Aslin lived to a very old age and some of the old girls went to her funeral.

Who was Headmaster & His assistant at that time would the assistant a Mr Jones from Coeper St:)

Ok John here goes.

lst pic. Standing at top of ship's steps - Beryl Stevenson (lived Parliament Street)

Back Row left to right - Can't name first two, then Pauline Russell, Irene Cormell, Doreen Wallin, Joyce Edwards (hand to her eyes) Copeley Street, on steps Thelma Wright (Parliament Street).

Next row - can't name anyone.

Bottom of steps, in front of Joyce Edwards is Doreen Hudson (Parliament Street) and next to her Maureen King. The little girl at the front is either one of the teacher's children or the daughter of one of the sailors.

2nd picture

back row - the crew - on far left Beryl Stevenson.

Next row - left to right - Joyce Edwards, Thelma Wright, ?? Maureen King, ?? Miss Aislin and Captain, ?? Pauline Russell, next two unknown, Irene Cormell, and I think Peggy Martin,

Front left, unknown, then Doreen Hudson, little girl and teacher? to the left of the Captain is Miss Prescott, and kneeling at front is Doreen Wallin.

Back