• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Halesowen Grammar 1959

Arkrite

master brummie
While sorting through my late mrs effects I have found a few photos which may be of interest to the odd forum member.
This picture is of a class at Halesowen Grammar school in 1959. By its date I would guess it is the year Marylynne Weston(later married Kenneth Beesley) joined the school after passing the 11 plus. At a guess I would say she is sat next to the teacher . Lynne was a widow aged 47 yrs when I met her. The puppy fat had gone but the middle age spread was beginning.I have no further information but will keep a hi.res scan before passing on the photo to family.

What a fantastic photo Arkrite, there are a lot of faces on there that look familiar, but I just cannot think of the names. They would be a couple of years older as I went to Halesowen County Modern Girls School in 1961.

Nice to see the old portrayal of the district name, Hales Owen. The manor and town was known as Hala (from the Anglo-Saxon word "halh", meaning nook or remote valley), until it was gifted by King Henry II to Welsh Prince David Owen and became known as Halas Owen.

Lynne is actually middle row 4th in from our left.
I thought I had answered Evergreen and Lloyd yesterday but must have pressed the wrong button. I have placed the photo on Halesoweroots, Blackcountrygob and Friends Reunited ( the Halesowen Grammar School entry). As Lynne was only 62 on her death last November I would have thought, by law of averages, that most of the class would still be alive.

Hi Arkrite,

Sorry I have not replied before, but have not been too well.

I thank you for the links to Halesowen roots and Blackcountrygob, it was great to see a picture of St Margarets of Antioch Church, where I got married almost 40 years ago.

I do wish that I could put names to faces on the photo, as I am certain that I would know some of the people there.

Hello Evergreen I found Lynne & Kens wedding photos at Halesowen Church but nothing in between the school photo and the wedding. She had an older sister called Carol who went to the Girls School. Carols wedding photos were there as well.

Hi Arkrite,

Sadly Halesowen girls shchool is no longer there, its a housing estate now. But I did manage to go to the very last opening before demolition. I did sit on the english teachers desk, something i would have never dared to in the 60's.

Thanks for all the info. Heather

Hi Evergreen, I have put some photos of Lynne and Carols weddings on the Brides thread in Life Experiences. Please take a look and see if you know anyone. Cheers .....Arkrite.

Hi Arkrite, Could you send me the link to the wedding photos please. I think there is a girl called Tina Shaw on the school photo. Heather

moz-screenshot.png
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=44929&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1265670940

Hi Heather, hope the above link works. Lynne made a pretty bride. Also if you click on my avatar ,go down the page and take a look at MY Album you will see some later photos of Lynne. I would have liked some other members to have posted their photos. These days Bridal gowns look much the same. Thank you very much for your interest.....Richard

No did not work. So go to Forums and work your way down to Made In Brum, ...Old Photographs.......and click on sub forum Life Experiences then Brides Through the Years. And the Best of Luck !

Hi Richard,

I have had a good look at the photo's, they are brilliant, the styles of dresses in the 60's and 70's were so different to the ones our parents had.

I will try to put my photo and Mom & Dads on the link you sent, if i can get this puter to behave nicely.

Thanks so much for posting them, regards Heather

Back