• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hairdressing & barbering

When I was a child there were always 3 sets of hair clippers in the sideboard draws. They never seemed to be used and belonged to my Dad. It wasn’t until my Dad was in his 70’s that he told me about how he would use them when he was a Sapper in the 278th Field company of the Royal Engineers. They went across to France some time after the first D-Day landings. Later I found amongst his papers a set of hand written accounts for an Old Comrades Fund where soldiers would make donations to be sent to families of lost comrades. The accounts were in Marks. And a number of the donations were for Haircutting.

Attachments

• AB96A8BD-FBA8-4E08-976A-8C076B244854.jpeg
    AB96A8BD-FBA8-4E08-976A-8C076B244854.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 3
Similarly to Morturn @ #109, I remember my first visit to the barbers (after many a basin cut from my Nan) with my dad and the barber asked me what I would like, I replied a Beatles cut and he turned to my dad, who told him, he'll have a short back and sides! :) I enjoyed reading the comics the barber provided, as I waited for my turn though.

Home perms! The smell was dreadful. I still have the little curlers, they needed bits of paper to hold the stray hairs in.
I wore wigs quite alot as I worked shifts and had to be there by 7a,m. Styles were more formal then, I don't like the modern untidy fashions now and those choppy cuts.
rosie.

i went to a barbers in 2002 and could not stop scratching on the way home,as soon as i got in i showered and washed me hair in Dettol sure he gave me the nits.:mad:

All this talk of experiences at the barbers reminds me of when I first started work at McKecnie Brothers. I was 15 and one day went to a nearby barbers, never been in before. While cutting away he asked if my Dad was bald and when I said yes he then pronounced that I would be before I was 30. Not something you want to hear at that age. Never went back to him - BUT he was right. They say the truth always hurts.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen such an impressive hairdressers ! The image shows the men’s saloon. There was also a ladies ‘apartment’. There are 12 haircutting stations, with 3 of them located in cubicles. Wonder why ? Privacy ? Viv.

28C60263-D8F0-440A-A414-2B8186F2057D.jpegSource:British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 01B4EF18-1394-4AF0-9236-EDD49D41D07E.jpeg
    01B4EF18-1394-4AF0-9236-EDD49D41D07E.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 10811109-0B44-4CDC-AB19-02B3FA1E5B6B.jpeg
    10811109-0B44-4CDC-AB19-02B3FA1E5B6B.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 8
There are two Steeles who are hairdressers in the directory in 1872, one in Bromsgrove st, the other, Henry Steele, at 40 New St . But whereas the Bromsgrove st one is a hairdresser, Henry is "Hairdresser, perfumer and artist in hair", so this must refer to Henry.

Expect New Street would be the more desirable address given the image the saloon was projecting. Viv.

All this talk of experiences at the barbers reminds me of when I first started work at McKecnie Brothers. I was 15 and one day went to a nearby barbers, never been in before. While cutting away he asked if my Dad was bald and when I said yes he then pronounced that I would be before I was 30. Not something you want to hear at that age. Never went back to him - BUT he was right. They say the truth always hurts.
As a calibration: How much is a men haircut in Birmingham today? Not a facy place but decent place. Thanks in advance.

I go to a Turkish barber in Moseley and have the full works, haircut, beard trim, eyebrows, hot towel shave and lots of lotions and potions, £22 all in
Mort, does that include a tip? That seems like a pretty good deal. Converted to $ the is competitive in TN. I dont get the shave but do get shampoo and pay about $29.00. You can get some $15 deals, but I need enough help as I can get :) .
Thank you!

We had a customer in Great Barr with a ladies hairdressing business, her son learned the job from her, when he got to 18 years old he went to New York and got involved with a hairdresser over there, we used to laugh at his stories,
He grew a goatie beard and the NY company sold him as Mr Michael, the posh old biddies used to say "Mr Michael is coming over from London to do my hair." and paid huge prices for the service.

Was your customer the lady who had the hairdressers on Kingstanding Road opposite the Kingstanding Road Post Office and Hare and Hounds. Her son went into the business too. But I think he was called Robert. I was his model when he was doing his training. Used to go into school the next day with fabulous hair ! Viv.

My husband goes to a Turkish barber too Mort. Swears by the skilled cut and they ‘listen’ to what he wants. They even take care of his nose hair and bunny fluff ears ! Nose hair involves sticking cotton buds up his nose. Sorry folks but it’s a fact. Doubtless Mr Steel offered these services too (without the cotton buds but maybe something similar). Maybe that’s what the curtained sections were for (post #127) to perform this sort of grooming in private. Viv.

I have used a very good Turkish Barber at Mere Green Island for about four years, but recently tried another that I was passing. I asked for "just a trim" and was asked if I wanted it short. "Yes", I said (which is what I've always said at my usual barber). What a mistake to make. Before I realised it was too late, the razor had already trimmed a sizeable chunk of what hair I have left, to what my son later told me was a "Number one". My wife said that she didn't recognise me when she opened the front door... Fortunately, my hair (or at least, what I still had) has grown back in the last few months. The lesson is be careful what you ask for at a barber that you haven't used before! ;)

I have used a very good Turkish Barber at Mere Green Island for about four years, but recently tried another that I was passing. I asked for "just a trim" and was asked if I wanted it short. "Yes", I said (which is what I've always said at my usual barber). What a mistake to make. Before I realised it was too late, the razor had already trimmed a sizeable chunk of what hair I have left, to what my son later told me was a "Number one". My wife said that she didn't recognise me when she opened the front door... Fortunately, my hair (or at least, what I still had) has grown back in the last few months. The lesson is be careful what you ask for at a barber that you haven't used before! ;)

as they say in Italia, "whata mistaka to maka". :laughing:

When I was 15 years old, instead of visiting my local hairdresser, I decided to call at a central Birmingham one.
Well, I found it well patronised with staff in white aprons but cannot say that the hairdresser did a good job or not, that was only obvious to others.
Apart from the usual cigarette smoke - and that was just the hairdresser - I found that experience was missing and a price differential was apparent. It cost 7/6d. which was twice the local price! They never asked me about week-end products; I suppose they considered me too young. :(
When I moved to Devon, a year later, one the local hairdressers was a former Methodist colliery worker from Yorkshire. I always refereed to hairdressing visits as going "for a sermon". :D

I went to get my haircut while on vacation a few years ago. After they were almost done they asked if it was OKAY, I said could you tighten up the sides a little. All too quickly the sides and back were cleaned to the skin. The good news was I didn’t need a haircut for about 8 weeks.

What a coincidence, on the day I went into town to get my haircut we get comments on the theme on the forum. Over the last few years 1966 tò 2021 my barber was anyone in whichever town i was in who did not have a queue. In, sit down, trim please, thank you, cheers. Retired to a certain extent the old habit prevailed and we had plenty of choice in Barnstaple, then I found a barber of Middle Exstern descent and made 2 or 3 visits. The last of these left me dissatisfied as he could not understand English and my trim became a scalping. So I found a new Turkish barber, fourth visit today, unfortunately I am considerably immobile at the moment, no problem to them, entered, very steep entry but more help than enough was offered. Greeted like an old friend, different barber, but gave me exactly what I wanted. All very efficient, very customer friendly a pleasure, hair, nose, ears and eyebrows all dealt with, £10 and tip and no problem in me waiting for my grandson to come and pick me up.
Bob

What a coincidence, on the day I went into town to get my haircut we get comments on the theme on the forum. Over the last few years 1966 tò 2021 my barber was anyone in whichever town i was in who did not have a queue. In, sit down, trim please, thank you, cheers. Retired to a certain extent the old habit prevailed and we had plenty of choice in Barnstaple, then I found a barber of Middle Exstern descent and made 2 or 3 visits. The last of these left me dissatisfied as he could not understand English and my trim became a scalping. So I found a new Turkish barber, fourth visit today, unfortunately I am considerably immobile at the moment, no problem to them, entered, very steep entry but more help than enough was offered. Greeted like an old friend, different barber, but gave me exactly what I wanted. All very efficient, very customer friendly a pleasure, hair, nose, ears and eyebrows all dealt with, £10 and tip and no problem in me waiting for my grandson to come and pick me up.
Bob
Sounds like a keeper to me! Congratulations!

ive noticed that turkish barbers have been mentioned a few times..my daughter takes her son to our local turkish barbers and my son also goes to the same one..son is very particular about his hair and having tried a few other non turkish shops that charge more he prefers this one..he said they are very friendly and listen to what you want he also has a beard trim and always comes out smelling nice and they dont rush..charge is a tenner and when i pass by there are always plenty of customers in the shop :)

lyn

Don’t think I’ve ever seen such an impressive hairdressers ! The image shows the men’s saloon. There was also a ladies ‘apartment’. There are 12 haircutting stations, with 3 of them located in cubicles. Wonder why ? Privacy ? Viv.

View attachment 176290Source:British Newspaper Archive
I am guessing the cubicles were for the ladies? Just thought that any beautification would be done privately from the Gentlemen back then.

These articles about barbers peaked my interest as to when Barber shops started and I found these articles on the history.

Back