• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

H V Powell

silhouette53

master brummie
Lots of people will remember the cycle dealer H V Powell.  His shop was on Birchfield Road, just past Six Ways on the out of city side.  He had a plywood cut-out of a man Iin the window pedalling a bike with a sign saying ( if my memory serves me well ) "HEART DISEASE KILLS _ PEDAL FOR YOUR LIFE !"

I drove my dad silly asking for my first proper bike which I had for Xmas 1964.   It was a Triumph 'Rodeo' and cost £20 9s 6d  ( on the never never of course !! ) financed through Raleigh Industries Gradual Payment Scheme.  Of course all the kids up our yard were begging " Give us a go" !

H V Powell also introduced a moped called the Joybike which had a peculiar drive system of belts and pulleys.  My older brother had one ( I think about 1960 - 61 ) and my mom used to say "Turn that bloody racket off" whenever he was reving it up.  I always wanted him to take me on the back of it but our mom would never allow it, calling it a 'death trap' Attached is a pic I found on the net of H V Powell outside his shop with a customer and a 'Joybike'

Back