• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gt Hampton Row

pamhol

master brummie
I believe my grandparents married at a church on the corner of Gt Hampton Row. I have a memory of seeing the church standing on a corner when I was a child riding on the bus, probably the No 72, from Snow Hill to Soho Road Handsworth, and being told it was where my grandparents were married, but never knew the name of the church. Any answers please?

Hi Pamhol,here is a picture of St Georges church,taken from the corner of Gt Hampton Row and St Georges Place.
It was demolished April 1954.
Moss.

Attachments

• Hockley St Georges 1954.jpg
    Hockley St Georges 1954.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 8
hi pam..just to follow on...if it is st georges church where your grandparents were married there are more pics under the st georges church thread

lyn

Hi Astoness
Thanks for info on St Georges. I am new to the forum and sometimes have difficulty locating threads. Can you tell me where I find the St Georges thread and how to get there. I have also been told to access thread for Defford Road but again not sure how to get there. Help!

Hi Pam, at the top of each page there is a 'Search Box' just type a word or phrase in the box and usually a number of threads will come up on most sujects and places...
I just put in St Georges church and the first five threads are

Gt Hampton Row

Posted By pamhol in forum Churches

defford road
Posted By Astoness in forum Neighbours & Streets 2 Pages •1 2

Bishop Ryders Church

Posted By LindyB65 in forum Churches

gt russel street

Posted By Astoness in forum Neighbours & Streets 2 Pages •1 2

st georges church. newtown.

Posted By Astoness in forum Churches 4 Pages •1 2 3 ... 4

Hope this helps...:)

While on the subject of Gt. Hampton Row, can anyone shed any light on the address 19 Colmore Terrace, Great Hampton Row? My maternal grandparents were living there in 1915, when my grandfather William Robert HEWSON signed up for army service in WW1. In 1911 they were at 217 Gt. Russell St. so they must have moved some time between those dates. But where was Colmore Terrace? It doesn't seem to exist as a street on any map I've looked at (including the large scale Alan Godfrey map - so I'm guessing it was a particular terrace of houses (or a court?) on or just off Gt. Hampton Row. Any information gratefully received.

Regards
Andrew

I have been told there was a Salvation Army building in Great Hampton Row from 1938 to 1952. Does anyone remember this? Is there a photograph of it?

hi salvator..without a kellys look up i dont know of a sally army in gt hampton row but there was one very close in theodore st...not sure if you have this pic but im posting it anyway with a map of where theodore st was..its marked 8 on the map...

lyn

hi guys
great hampton row made me think of thestories my mother told me about when she was growing up
and she told me the stories of the war years and how her parents or her grand parents ran a tea rooms as i trhink they was calleed in those days
or it could have been a coffee house buty she was telling us as we was growing up about the night the german bomber dropped a bomb close bye and how it shattered and frightened them all around it was a massive one it would have been around the middle of the last part of the 2nd war
is great hamton st part of the great hamptom row hockley as i sem to recall it
have a nice day every body best wishes astonion

I can remember a coffee house in Great Hampton Row located within a few yards of where the above picture was taken. My grandparents lived behind "Loo Blooms" Gents Tailors and was very close to the coffee house. This was during the war years and after. The close knit community was completely broken up following redevelopment. This served to fiinish the close bond that had developed during the war years. Sad!

Back