• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Growing up in Streetly in the 60's

Eutrino

master brummie
I wrote this a while back for inclusion on the Streetly Historical Group page but it occurs to me that parts of it might resonate with some of you here on the BHF? As a true born Brummie (Dudley Rd. Maternity Hospital, Sept 15 1947) and new to this forum I don't know if this is the best spot for this thread but I thought I'd just throw it up and see what happens!

Born in 1947, towards the leading edge of the baby boom era, I moved to Streetly from Stockland Green at the age of 9 when my parents purchased their first home on Elmtree Road. The newly built 3 bedroom semi was on the old Cottage Farm land off the NE side of Aldridge Road between Foley Road and Bridle Lane. At that time I seem to remember the address being Streetly, Sutton Coldfield, Warwicks and much was made of that connection, with greater cachet attached to it than an association with geographically closer Walsall, Staffs! Years later, when we got our first telephone, it had an 021 prefix vs. 0922 which, once again, seemed to be rather significant for some Streetly folk!

Ours was one of the first houses on the street to be occupied, and for many months I was in small boy heaven. I met and befriended several other young refugees from ’Brum’ while playing in, on and around all the other partially built houses and the attendant equipment around the building site. Interestingly, in those days, tools and materials were often left where they were at the end of the workday, with little fear of theft or damage…..what a contrast to the present!

As families began moving into the homes immediately surrounding ours we got to know the Cowleys, the Hams, the Bristows, the Padgetts, the Yates and the Parkers. A little further down Elmtree Road were the Mayburys and the Stubbs and over on Cherrywood Road were the Parrs. During the evenings and weekends, when no building work was going on, Zorro, The Lone Ranger and Daredevils of the Red Circle could be found tearing around the neighbourhood as we kids aped our idols from the Saturday matinees. The back of our house, and my bedroom window, faced the old farmyard, the barn and the outbuildings, which survived for a number of years after construction was completed. Despite this dilapidated outlook I still enjoyed a largely uninterrupted view of the open farmland west of Aldridge Road with Barr Beacon beyond.

I attended Blackwood Primary School, as it was called back then, on Blackwood Road. A 1959 (I think?) class photo is attached with me wearing specs and sitting cross legged in the front row, left. When the school first opened on a site built into the rapidly shrinking Foley Wood. I recall being shown a newspaper article at the time highlighting “The School in The Wood” which, I think, came from the Walsall Observer. Back then the whole area between Hazelwood and Blackwood Roads was still essentially open field and woodland and I was able to get to school by walking across the field and through the remaining vestiges of the wood. I also seem to remember a private school of some sort located on Blackwood Road where Foley Wood Close is now, Sandwell is a name that comes to mind? A little further along Blackwood Road was our doctor’s surgery, where both Dr. Szamocki and his wife practiced out of the same office.

At the completion of that first phase of construction of the so called ’Cottage Farm Estate’ around 1960, Elmtree Road ended a few houses past Yewtree Road, Limetree Road ended at Cherrywood Road and there was open land and woods between Hazelwood and Blackwood Roads. Lowlands Avenue ended at Hazelwood Road and resumed again at Blackwood Drive. The paving on Maxholm Road ended at Lilac Avenue, where another friend from Blackwood Primary lived on the corner, their family name was Meacham. A recent aerial flyover of the area courtesy of Google Earth showed clearly the different house styles dividing that initial Cottage Farm construction from later developments in the area.

Back then the intersection of Foley and Aldridge Roads was a simple rural crossroads, no roundabout, no petrol station and no Foley Arms pub. The only retail outlet in the area was Willis’ Store, which preceded the petrol station at the SW corner of Aldridge Road and Beacon Hill. As a pushy kid I talked my way into a Saturday job there helping make doorstep deliveries of groceries from Willis’ to local patrons, under the watchful eye of their driver, Jack, who spent most of his time on each trip trying to keep his old J type Morris van from conking out!

Spurred by a visit to the Boy Scout World Jamboree in Sutton Park back in 1957 I had joined the 2nd Streetly Scout Troop, eventually aspiring to the dizzy heights of Patrol Leader! Meetings were held weekly in an old wooden building on Blackwood Road that also doubled as a Methodist Church at the time. Unfortunately, leadership was never my forte and my initial enthusiasm to follow in the footsteps of Baden-Powell failed to stand the test of time. I soon found myself unable to continue to ‘do my best, to do my duty to God and the Queen’! Hey, I tried!

A regular bicycle trip for me in those days was being dispatched by my mother “down to Slims“ on some errand or other. Bert Slim had a sort of general store at the corner of Bridle Lane and Chester Road which was enthusiastically patronised by all and sundry in the absence of any of the new fangled supermarkets. There was also a barbers on the same corner that I used from time to time over the years. Sidney Ceney always had a gag or pearl of information that he would share….whether you wanted it or not….while clipping and shearing! Going north along Chester Road took me to the home of a school friend from Blackwood Primary who lived above an off-licence run by his parents at the junction of Wood Lane and Little Hardwick Lane. The family name was George.

After confounding dire predictions from my father (and several of my Blackwood Primary teachers) with my strong showing in the ‘Eleven Plus’ (remember that?) I was slated to attend what was then known as Aldridge Grammar-Technical School on Tynings Lane in Aldridge. That school was also brand new and couldn’t accept pupils until later in the year I graduated, so my first term was held a strenuous bicycle ride away, uphill along Bridle Lane to Barr Beacon and then a high speed descent of Beacon Road to a secondary school that was then known as Barr Beacon School. The Grammar Grubs and the Secondary Slugs, thrust together involuntarily, struggled to achieve peaceful co-existence! Conflict resumed with new protagonists at Aldridge the next term where the new Grammar School was right next door to the Secondary Modern School. Of course, all this was well before the era of Comprehensive Education. If the weather was fair to middling I would cycle to school and if it was crummy I would catch the Green Bus at the corner of Foley and Erdington Roads, opposite Willis’ and across from where the Foley Arms would be built in later years.

During my early teens, having learned about Izaak Walton and ‘The Compleat Angler’, I went through my avid angler phase! I would load up my bicycle with my creel, rods and a pint of maggots and head off to Sutton Park, usually to Bracebridge Pool. Operating on a typical teen budget I would sneak into the Park through the golfers entrance on Thornhill Road, dodging the ‘Parkies’ and thus avoiding the price of a ticket……entrance fees were charged back then for us poor ’non-residents’ of Sutton Coldfield! Occasionally I would partner up with a friend and rent a punt to go after the pike that were to be found at the northern end of the pool. Other expeditions from Streetly around that time were to the public swimming baths at Kingstanding, with a choice of riding either a Blue or Green Bus from Bridle Lane or Aldridge Road then changing to a Birmingham bus at Kingstanding Circle. Happy times!

Around that time I also took my first underage drink in public, on a dare, at the Hardwick Arms. Two friends and I went down to the Hardwick Arms one evening. We dithered on the threshold of the bar arguing over what we should drink and which of us looked the oldest, to place the order. My idea of a coin toss for the privilege was rejected and my peach fuzz chin proved to be my undoing! We knew that draught beer came in two basic varieties, mild and bitter. Being possessed of above average intelligence, we reasoned that mild was the light coloured, watery stuff while the thick, dark stuff had to be bitter. Further, our logic indicated that as neophytes we would do better with mild for our first experience. All pretty obvious, right? So, I sallied forth to the bar with my most confident air and placed our order….“three pints of mild please“! When the three mugs of foaming dark beverage arrived in front of me I was horrified. Had the barmaid made a mistake? Had I not spoken clearly when ordering? What to do? Not wishing to draw attention to her obvious error I paid up and took the mugs to my pals. Needless to say there was much consternation amongst us until we listened to other orders being placed and observed the results. Ah, the challenges of youth!

After O Levels in 1963 I elected to go straight into the workforce and hired on at a manufacturing company in West Bromwich, while studying engineering in the evenings at Walsall Tech. I bought an old motorbike to get myself around, but only succeeded in securing an unwanted three week stay at the West Bromwich District Hospital in 1964 by demonstrating conclusively that a BSA C15 would not deflect the passage of a LWB Land Rover travelling at 30 mph! That bike had introduced me to Tony Dayman who lived on Bridle Lane and John Pritchard who lived on Wood Lane. We joined the 59 Club and rode together all over the place at a time when riding a motorbike defined us as ’Rockers’ as opposed to the more effete weirdo ‘Mods‘ who spluttered around on their Lambrettas and Vespas. Someone must have made a fortune back then selling parka shells and rear view mirrors to those dolts! (Apologies to all those who swooned at Quadrophenia) A popular Rocker haunt back then was Dunbars Cafe in Mere Green. Eventually it was the reactions of the opposite sex that prompted me to make the move onto four wheels……..the really good looking ’birds’ were much more inclined to date a bloke with a car than one who rode a bike (or a scooter!)! Best Driving School was chosen for the crucial task of preparing me for the transition, their location on Elmtree Road, only 6 doors away from our house, had no bearing on the selection process!

In addition to being the location of my initiation into the finer points of beer consumption the Hardwick Arms also figured, indirectly, in the aforementioned motorcycle saga. The traffic light outside, at the corner of Chester Road and Little Hardwick Lane, was the launching point for drag races and speed trials northward on Chester Road down what came to be known as the ’mad mile’. Crouched low over the petrol tank, and securely armed with the assured immortality of youth, we would go flat out down ‘The Mile’ before letting off at the last moment so as to negotiate the bend under the railway bridge at the end. Until 1965 speed limits were non existent outside urban areas and we young ‘immortals’ made the most of the open roads!

Time passes and youth fades into adulthood. I left Streetly in 1971, moving to East Grinstead in Sussex to start on a career in engineering that took me all over the world, eventually ending up in California where I still live today. My parents stayed at Elmtree Road until 1975 and then moved to Tenbury Wells when my father took early retirement. Over the years I have returned to Brum and the old neighbourhoods several times while on trips back to the UK and have always been disappointed to see the ongoing deterioration in the area. Urban blight and decay were abstract concepts to me until I saw all the changes, particularly in Brum, where the whole character of the city has been lost amid disjointed and ill advised ’developments’ from the desks of the so called planners. Don’t misunderstand, I am a great proponent of positive development and change but how ridiculous that, today, so many badly conceived, designed and built buildings are being razed after a few decades of life on the sites where architecturally inspiring and durable buildings had sat proudly for centuries! It has been said that one should never go back to places that possess good memories, everything changes. Sadly I have to agree.

Blackwood Junior School 1958 - Ian front row, 3rd from left.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent reading. My Uncle had a place out Streetley way and I remember cycling all the way there from Yardley Wood. Struggling to recall the address but am sure it was along the Chester Road a little way before the railway bridge. Right next to a sewage works. Guess who threw a brick into one of the settling ponds and broke the crust - what a stink.

Hello Eutrino,

I thorughly enjoyed your excellent word picture of Streetly whilst you were growing up. Although a senior citizen I am fairly new to Streetly having spent most of my life in Small heath and then Selly Oak. I often have lunch with a pint in the Hardwick Arms. Next time I go I will raise a glass to you and your mates who could not tell mild from bitter. It is nice to read about places you know. All the best

Old Boy

Wonderful memoir, Eutrino, and thanks for it.

The school in Blackwood Road you refer to was, I think, Sandwell School. I was there 1941-44.

There are some slightly earlier memories of Streetly in the 1940s here (including one or two of my own).

Chris

What an interesting post Eutrino, must have been boyhood heaven back then. I have a friend who lived in Carlton Avenue off Foley Road until a couple of years ago so I do know the area a little.

Have just been re-reading your excellent piece, Eutrino.

The roads which you were familiar with were built, I think, in a large stretch of woodland which extended from Bridle Lane, behind all the houses on that side of the Chester Road, right down to a point almost at the bottom of the hill towards the Parson & Clerk (beyond which there were then open fields as far as Queslett Road). The wood was an extensive playground for me in the 1940s. I remember it full of birch trees and I seem to recall some mysterious trenches within it, almost as though it was a Great War training ground. But I suspect that it was more possibly something to do with firearms testing for the Kynoch factory at Witton - that company bought a tract of land in Streetly in the late 19th century for this purpose and I strongly suspect that it was this area.

At the Bridle Lane end there existed a summer camp which hosted children from the more central parts of Birmingham so that they could enjoy some fresh air "out in the country".

(Later note - I think I have got it wrong. It sounds as though where you lived was on the OTHER side of Bridle Lane, either an earlier or later development than the one I was rabbiting on about - all open fields, if I remember correctly).

You mention Slim's corner shop. Up until around 1950 this was owned by a family named Puddepha - not a name to forget, once you had worked out how to spell it. That shop, the top end of Bridle Lane and, especially, the farmer's field adjacent to, and possibly under, the later Buccaneer pub get a mention in a memoir I wrote about a VE Day celebration. Thanks to the miracle of Google Earth, I notice that the pub itself has in turn been swept away. A lot of things change if you live long enough.

Chris

Last edited:
You are right Chris, the area you describe sounds like the development of the so called 'Hundred Acre Wood' which was indeed on the SE side of Bridle Lane and covered the whole area down to the Parson & Clerk. I lived on the NW side of Bridle Lane, between Bridle Lane and Foley Road, which was the first area to be developed.
If you go to ( https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/D9ReminiscencesDstaffshg.htm ) you will see another recollection with a mention of Puddepha's shop. You are also right about the 'Bridle Lane Camp' which eventually morphed into a satellite campus for the Foley Rd Infants School and was finally abandoned in (I think) 1957. If you are interested there is quite an active Streetly History Group with a lot of good info here ( https://www.streetly.org/1.html ) Regards Ian

Chris, I just realised I linked you to your own memoir!!!!! How bizarre. I first saw your piece many moons ago when I was browsing the Streetly History site and forgot about it until you wrote #6 above. At the time I wondered who CM was and now I know! I guess I was trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs - LOL!

I lived for a while in Streetley, I got a job managing a hairdressers called Kendell's. I had the maisonette above that went with the job. There was a Catholic school opposite. It was on an estate with these dozen shops on, next door was an off license I made friends with the couple they had a son that was in the RAF, and I remember a very nice dress shop there too, a butchers, and news agents and a bread shop that sold lovely fresh baked bread. I think the Buccaneer pub was on the main rd. The lady who owned the shop was called Kay and she used to have a shop on the Soho rd by the Monty Carlo years before that she told me. I met some nice folks while I lived there.
Ther was a young girl called June that was a junior there and here mom and dad had gone to live in spain and she stayed, she was only about 15 at the time so I let her stop with me, wonder what happened to her?

Last edited:
Yes, of course, Ian. "Hundred Acre Wood " - that was the name I was looking for. I wonder where that title came from. I don't remember it from my early days and I wonder if it was one adopted by the developers.

The Buccaneer pub was a development fiercely resisted by the locals who regarded it as a "road house" rather than a local pub (of which there were already two adequate ones). They felt it symptomatic of an unwelcome encroachment of further suburbia on an area which was still partly rural despite all the ribbon development of the 1930s along the Chester Road. (Talk about King Canute!) The area on which it was built was farmland with farm buildings beyond, on about the brow of the hill.

Further down the road on the left-hand side towards Foley Road there were 1930s houses, but opposite, apart from a couple of buildings, it was still all open land from the brow of the hill right down across the Foley Road, up to near Cutler's garage and the Hardwick Arms.

Chris

A special treat Hundred Acre Estate showing the test ranges all so the map is from a larger tithe map

Thanks, John - that's very interesting. It seems to confirm my theory that this area was the one bought by Kynoch of Witton for ammunition testing. (see the entry for 1888/89 here).

Would it be possible to provide a "zoomed-out" version of that image? It would be interesting to see exactly how it fits into the surrounding area and roads. Thanks.

Chris

Hi All,

The site of the Buccaneer Pub on Chester Road, near Bridle Lane, is now occupied by a block of retirement flats. I know for sure because I live there.

Old Boy

So there's no arguing with that, Old Boy!

Strange, but my clearest mental image of that whole part of the Chester Road is one of 60/65 years ago, rather than any glimpses I have had since. Just Puddepha's on the one corner (a tiny tobacconist's shop and general stores) and then at the top of Manor Road a row of shops - still there perhaps but occupied by others - Bailey's (dairy products and sweets), a draper's ("Terry"), a butcher's and either one or two more. A dangerous crossroads, even in those days.

Chris

Thanks, John - that's very interesting. It seems to confirm my theory that this area was the one bought by Kynoch of Witton for ammunition testing. (see the entry for 1888/89 here).

Would it be possible to provide a "zoomed-out" version of that image? It would be interesting to see exactly how it fits into the surrounding area and roads. Thanks.

Chris

Chris, if you go here: https://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html you will find old OS maps of the UK. Keep zooming in and eventually you will see the 'ammo factory' located midway between the Parson & Clerk and Barr Beacon circa 1920. Ian

I went to the Buccaneer Pub often with my Mom and Uncle Jack he was a typical butcher always joking. I can't print the one about the pub! He worked in later life at a Butchers called John Terry's in the High Street Brownhills. He was still there aged 80! Did anyone go to Streetly Youth Club. I wasn't a member but went to the disco on a Saturday night.

Thanks for that, Ian - a wonderful link and so useful for many other purposes as well. It proves again the location of that ammunition site. I always understood it to be a testing area but its name, "Factory", and the extent of the buildings shown on the map, suggest that it was something more than that. Perhaps a facility for shell or cartridge filling or something like that, better carried out in a thinly populated area than at the mother factory, Kynoch, at Witton. That map predates all the late 1920s-early 1930s ribbon development along the Chester Road, including that on the side of the road where the ammunition factory was sited.

It's a bit surprising that the place wasn't resurrected in any way during WW2 but I am fairly certain it wasn't. I overlooked it in the distance from my bedroom window and am sure would have known about it. (During this time there was a regular rat-tat-tat of machine gun fire but this was in the distance and I always assumed it came from the Kynoch factory some miles away).

The map also proves that my VE Day bonfire, Wendy's Buccaneer pub and, later, Old Boy's home were all built on a field belong to Manorial Farm. The semi-derelict buildings of the latter seemed to linger for a long time. Can't remember the name of the farmer.

Sorry, Wendy, your Youth Club experiences are FAR too recent for me!

Chris

I went to the Buccaneer Pub often with my Mom and Uncle Jack he was a typical butcher always joking. I can't print the one about the pub! He worked in later life at a Butchers called John Terry's in the High Street Brownhills. He was still there aged 80! Did anyone go to Streetly Youth Club. I wasn't a member but went to the disco on a Saturday night.

I spent quite a lot of time at the youth club on Foley Rd East in the early 60's......I was starting to realise that girls weren't always soppy and giggly! I seem to remember Jimmy Savile coming to open the newly expanded building around that time. Ian

Yes I remember when Jimmy Saville came but didn't go that night. The discos were good though.

A map and a modern satellite view to compliment the discussion in and around post#15 concerning the Ammunition Factory and it's Test Firing Ranges near the Aldridge Road in Streetly. A trace of one of the firing ranges can be seen in a field today and how a farm track bends round it. The Ammunition Cottages are still there but a large housing estate has been built over two of the firing ranges. Something marked as a target on the map ?
Map c1914
20180124_155806000_iOS.jpg

Google Earth
ammo.JPG

I was born & lived in Bankside Crescent, no 86 and remember playing in the back garden finding bullets and bits of hand grenades in the back garden as a kid.....in the late 6o's. Always wondered how they came of be there....now I know.

Lots of happy memories living in Streetly as a boy in the 1960's. I lived in one of the large houses on Chester Road North before what is now a large traffic island at the junction of Queslett Road and Chester Road North. Spent hours and hours in Sutton Park. During the summer holidays a group of us would walk along the railway line from Streetly station into the park and collect pieces of coal along the line, then start a coal fire in the fire grate inside little huts that used to line the track- making our own toast. The smoke would eventually attract the attention of one of the Parkies on his bike and we would all scatter in fear of our lives.
The family Doctor was an old lady called Doctor Reeves who was absolutely marvellous both in her manner and her ability to go straight to the problem. Her surgery was on Chester Road just before the Hardwick Arms Pub. Next Door was the Dentist Mr Stammers, a smashing chap but his idea of oral education was to drill for hours without pain relieve. I used to go every six months but I knew it would be a visit to the house of pain.
I used to have a paper round at Slims , the rounds were very long and the pay very poor compared to other News Agents. We had words one day about this and I left shortly afterwards.
My Father was cremated at Streetly Crematorium and the funeral reception was held at the Hardwick Arms Pub- didn't recognise the place when I walked in. My early memories was of the bar,lounge and then a swish eating area at one end, great atmosphere. The re-vamp was just one huge room with plain decoration and no atmosphere at all.
The Royal Sutton Coldfield Golf Club was situated on Thornhill Road just before Streetly Village and the course was inside the park itself. Some of the fairways were very long and if you waited long enough the balls would fly off in all directions. I spent many a long hour collecting lost balls and selling the undamaged balls back to the club shop for a few pennies.
My Aunty was very friendly with the Wife of Colonel Leach who ran a riding stables in Manor Road . I had a part time Saturday job mucking out the stables and polishing the leather work with saddle soap. I think Colonel Leach thought I was one of those strange boys from the village who did not want to ride a horse.
I could rattle on for hours, Streetly was a great place to live during the 1960's and it's true, if you have happy memories of a particular place you should never go back at a later date.
Best wishes, Mike.

smashing memories mike and please rattle on for as long as you like...its posts like yours that keeps the forum alive and interesting and spurs others on

lyn

Mike I agree with Lyn. You have presented a lot of memories which many will find interesting and placed them on a thread WHERE THEY ARE RELEVANT.

I wrote this a while back for inclusion on the Streetly Historical Group page but it occurs to me that parts of it might resonate with some of you here on the BHF? As a true born Brummie (Dudley Rd. Maternity Hospital, Sept 15 1947) and new to this forum I don't know if this is the best spot for this thread but I thought I'd just throw it up and see what happens!

Born in 1947, towards the leading edge of the baby boom era, I moved to Streetly from Stockland Green at the age of 9 when my parents purchased their first home on Elmtree Road. The newly built 3 bedroom semi was on the old Cottage Farm land off the NE side of Aldridge Road between Foley Road and Bridle Lane. At that time I seem to remember the address being Streetly, Sutton Coldfield, Warwicks and much was made of that connection, with greater cachet attached to it than an association with geographically closer Walsall, Staffs! Years later, when we got our first telephone, it had an 021 prefix vs. 0922 which, once again, seemed to be rather significant for some Streetly folk!

Ours was one of the first houses on the street to be occupied, and for many months I was in small boy heaven. I met and befriended several other young refugees from ’Brum’ while playing in, on and around all the other partially built houses and the attendant equipment around the building site. Interestingly, in those days, tools and materials were often left where they were at the end of the workday, with little fear of theft or damage…..what a contrast to the present!

As families began moving into the homes immediately surrounding ours we got to know the Cowleys, the Hams, the Bristows, the Padgetts, the Yates and the Parkers. A little further down Elmtree Road were the Mayburys and the Stubbs and over on Cherrywood Road were the Parrs. During the evenings and weekends, when no building work was going on, Zorro, The Lone Ranger and Daredevils of the Red Circle could be found tearing around the neighbourhood as we kids aped our idols from the Saturday matinees. The back of our house, and my bedroom window, faced the old farmyard, the barn and the outbuildings, which survived for a number of years after construction was completed. Despite this dilapidated outlook I still enjoyed a largely uninterrupted view of the open farmland west of Aldridge Road with Barr Beacon beyond.

I attended Blackwood Primary School, as it was called back then, on Blackwood Road. A 1959 (I think?) class photo is attached with me wearing specs and sitting cross legged in the front row, left. When the school first opened on a site built into the rapidly shrinking Foley Wood. I recall being shown a newspaper article at the time highlighting “The School in The Wood” which, I think, came from the Walsall Observer. Back then the whole area between Hazelwood and Blackwood Roads was still essentially open field and woodland and I was able to get to school by walking across the field and through the remaining vestiges of the wood. I also seem to remember a private school of some sort located on Blackwood Road where Foley Wood Close is now, Sandwell is a name that comes to mind? A little further along Blackwood Road was our doctor’s surgery, where both Dr. Szamocki and his wife practiced out of the same office.

At the completion of that first phase of construction of the so called ’Cottage Farm Estate’ around 1960, Elmtree Road ended a few houses past Yewtree Road, Limetree Road ended at Cherrywood Road and there was open land and woods between Hazelwood and Blackwood Roads. Lowlands Avenue ended at Hazelwood Road and resumed again at Blackwood Drive. The paving on Maxholm Road ended at Lilac Avenue, where another friend from Blackwood Primary lived on the corner, their family name was Meacham. A recent aerial flyover of the area courtesy of Google Earth showed clearly the different house styles dividing that initial Cottage Farm construction from later developments in the area.

Back then the intersection of Foley and Aldridge Roads was a simple rural crossroads, no roundabout, no petrol station and no Foley Arms pub. The only retail outlet in the area was Willis’ Store, which preceded the petrol station at the SW corner of Aldridge Road and Beacon Hill. As a pushy kid I talked my way into a Saturday job there helping make doorstep deliveries of groceries from Willis’ to local patrons, under the watchful eye of their driver, Jack, who spent most of his time on each trip trying to keep his old J type Morris van from conking out!

Spurred by a visit to the Boy Scout World Jamboree in Sutton Park back in 1957 I had joined the 2nd Streetly Scout Troop, eventually aspiring to the dizzy heights of Patrol Leader! Meetings were held weekly in an old wooden building on Blackwood Road that also doubled as a Methodist Church at the time. Unfortunately, leadership was never my forte and my initial enthusiasm to follow in the footsteps of Baden-Powell failed to stand the test of time. I soon found myself unable to continue to ‘do my best, to do my duty to God and the Queen’! Hey, I tried!

A regular bicycle trip for me in those days was being dispatched by my mother “down to Slims“ on some errand or other. Bert Slim had a sort of general store at the corner of Bridle Lane and Chester Road which was enthusiastically patronised by all and sundry in the absence of any of the new fangled supermarkets. There was also a barbers on the same corner that I used from time to time over the years. Sidney Ceney always had a gag or pearl of information that he would share….whether you wanted it or not….while clipping and shearing! Going north along Chester Road took me to the home of a school friend from Blackwood Primary who lived above an off-licence run by his parents at the junction of Wood Lane and Little Hardwick Lane. The family name was George.

After confounding dire predictions from my father (and several of my Blackwood Primary teachers) with my strong showing in the ‘Eleven Plus’ (remember that?) I was slated to attend what was then known as Aldridge Grammar-Technical School on Tynings Lane in Aldridge. That school was also brand new and couldn’t accept pupils until later in the year I graduated, so my first term was held a strenuous bicycle ride away, uphill along Bridle Lane to Barr Beacon and then a high speed descent of Beacon Road to a secondary school that was then known as Barr Beacon School. The Grammar Grubs and the Secondary Slugs, thrust together involuntarily, struggled to achieve peaceful co-existence! Conflict resumed with new protagonists at Aldridge the next term where the new Grammar School was right next door to the Secondary Modern School. Of course, all this was well before
Thank you for posting because this has helped my poor memory. I lived in Maxholm Road in the late fifties up to 1962. I had mutual friends who lived opposite Graham and Roger Meacham who were a little older than me. My problem is I was convinced I went to a school called Egerton Road Primary but it appears from your post it must have been Blackwood but it means nothing. I do remember the fields opposite where I would cycle to school. Many a happy time playing football with oil drums for goalposts. My parents now dead cannot help me with memories. My dad got a job in Nottingham and we moved to a small village called East Leave. Still had family in Four Oaks and Perry Common all now gone. Still love the Villa and always will. Any comments welcome.

Welcome to the Forum, Kevthe45King, and thanks for making a useful contribution in this thread which, in the main, now goes back many years. Let's hope that we can have more Streetly memories to add to what is here, perhaps from newer members who have joined since the earlier posts in this thread.

Chris

Lots of happy memories living in Streetly as a boy in the 1960's. I lived in one of the large houses on Chester Road North before what is now a large traffic island at the junction of Queslett Road and Chester Road North. Spent hours and hours in Sutton Park. During the summer holidays a group of us would walk along the railway line from Streetly station into the park and collect pieces of coal along the line, then start a coal fire in the fire grate inside little huts that used to line the track- making our own toast. The smoke would eventually attract the attention of one of the Parkies on his bike and we would all scatter in fear of our lives.
The family Doctor was an old lady called Doctor Reeves who was absolutely marvellous both in her manner and her ability to go straight to the problem. Her surgery was on Chester Road just before the Hardwick Arms Pub. Next Door was the Dentist Mr Stammers, a smashing chap but his idea of oral education was to drill for hours without pain relieve. I used to go every six months but I knew it would be a visit to the house of pain.
I used to have a paper round at Slims , the rounds were very long and the pay very poor compared to other News Agents. We had words one day about this and I left shortly afterwards.
My Father was cremated at Streetly Crematorium and the funeral reception was held at the Hardwick Arms Pub- didn't recognise the place when I walked in. My early memories was of the bar,lounge and then a swish eating area at one end, great atmosphere. The re-vamp was just one huge room with plain decoration and no atmosphere at all.
The Royal Sutton Coldfield Golf Club was situated on Thornhill Road just before Streetly Village and the course was inside the park itself. Some of the fairways were very long and if you waited long enough the balls would fly off in all directions. I spent many a long hour collecting lost balls and selling the undamaged balls back to the club shop for a few pennies.
My Aunty was very friendly with the Wife of Colonel Leach who ran a riding stables in Manor Road . I had a part time Saturday job mucking out the stables and polishing the leather work with saddle soap. I think Colonel Leach thought I was one of those strange boys from the village who did not want to ride a horse.
I could rattle on for hours, Streetly was a great place to live during the 1960's and it's true, if you have happy memories of a particular place you should never go back at a later date.
Best wishes, Mike.
Thanks for that, Mike - sorry that I have only just noticed it. I too lived on the Chester Road, but nearer to the Manor Road/Bridle Lane crossroads. In the 1940s the family's newspapers used to come from near the Hardwick Arms but I am pretty sure that by the time I left the area in 1961, the business would have been transferred to Slims and continued for my parents up until the mid/late 1970s. I wonder if you delivered ours?!

Chris

Back