• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grosvenor st west pics wanted

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks would anyone have any old pics of this street please...ive found them very hard to find..

any help would be great

lyn

Lyn

These are all I have got, two photos of The White Swan from different angles, and one photo of the junction of I think Ryland Street which unfortunately shows more of Ryland Street.

Attachments

• s.JPG
    s.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Ladywood Grosvenor St West White Swan.jpg
    Ladywood Grosvenor St West White Swan.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Ladywood White Swan Grosvenor St West.JPG
    Ladywood White Swan Grosvenor St West.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 91
Not the street itself, but here's one of nos 3-4 court 40 grosvenor st west

Grosvener2520Street2520West_court_402520nos__3-4.jpg

Some modern(ish) ones.

From Sheepcote Street / Grosvenor Street West junction

Old Union Mill

The White Swan

Ryland Street / Grosvenor Street West - Jupiter

thanks el...i was down that way a few years back and was most impressed with the union mill building...

lyn

This has been bugging me as to why Grosvenor Street West kept ringing a bell and suddenly remembered I'd purchased a very old Bible nearly 30 years ago from Wagstaffs in Stirchley and the previous owner had entered his name and lived at 2/114 Grosvenor Street West and thank's to this thread i know where it came from now. Wish he'd also entered a date (as i have) but it must be some age.

Amusingly, probably not the same time, and also not back no 114, but in 1880 the inhabitant of 114 was Mrs Taylor, who was a tailoress

Lyn

These are all I have got, two photos of The White Swan from different angles, and one photo of the junction of I think Ryland Street which unfortunately shows more of Ryland Street.

I may be wrong but, I don't think the first photo is at the junction of Ryland Street, is it Ruston Street? At the junction of Grosvenor Street/Ryland Street was Gittins the 'bookies'

As I remember it, here on this site - https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/grosvenorstreet.htm

mallosa

You are more than likely right because as I said when I posted the photos, I only thought it was the junction of Ryland Rd as I have no personal knowledge of the road as it is way out of my area .

mallosa

You are more than likely right because as I said when I posted the photos, I only thought it was the junction of Ryland Rd as I have no personal knowledge of the road as it is way out of my area .

Hi Phil

I still may be wrong as in Ruston Street, it could even be at the top of Grosvenor Street West and the junction of Ladywood Road?

P.E Swann, on the corner of that photo is at 23 Ladywood road, at the junction with Grosvenor st west

A couple of new pics of The White Swan. Being renovated (into what I don't know). Some of the facade replaced by plain windows.

thanks for the updated photos ell..shame some of facade has gone but unless the white swan name is to be removed it looks like it could be reopening as a pub/eating place again which would of course be good news..

lyn

Long overdue White Swan update.

Now says "Grosvenor Rice Co" on it. But is nowhere near ready to open (by the looks of it).

Hi,
Does anybody know where I would find out where 38 Grosvenor Street West would have been located in relation to today's properties? My GGG Grandad died there in 1880.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi,
Does anybody know where I would find out where 38 Grosvenor Street West would have been located in relation to today's properties? My GGG Grandad died there in 1880.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob

Number 38 was on the south east side and was between Sheepcote St and Ryland St a few doors down from the Grosvenor Arms public house. I'm sure Mikejee will be able to do this much better for you and he will know if there has been any renumbering that should be taken into account.

Rob
The c 1889 map below shows no 38 in red. Looking at google maps, that would make it at the position of the orange mark on that.

mao_c_1889_showing_38_grosvenor_st_west.jpg

google_map_showing_position_of_non_38.jpg

A couple of new pics of The White Swan. Being renovated (into what I don't know). Some of the facade replaced by plain windows.

I have very fond memories of the White Swan. My wife and I used to have a drink there around the late 1990s & early 2000s. It was a lovely pub, old-fashioned and a contrast to the bars on nearly Broad St.
We always intended to go back but by the time we did it was closed sadly. My understanding is that it went through several changes, and was called Darwin's for a time. It is now a Caribbean Restaurant (Mellows).

Lyn

Hi Phil, me again! Please could you tell me the source of the first photo in this post. I would really like to use it in my work! Many thanks :)

Hi Phil, me again! Please could you tell me the source of the first photo in this post. I would really like to use it in my work! Many thanks :)
hi...sad to say phil wont be able to reply to you as he recently passed away..this is why we have posted.. gone but not forgotten under his avatar

lyn

An aerial view of Grosvenor Street West from 1948

Attachments

• grosvenor-st-west-aerial-1948.jpg
    grosvenor-st-west-aerial-1948.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back