• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grocery shop on Essington Street

LucyJayne

knowlegable brummie
Hi,

Does anyone have any information on a shop that was on Essington Street number 50 , It was run by my Nan - Gwen Helps, I think the shop may have been called 'Helps' or 'Hopkins' but a bit unsure about that. It was opposite the Coal Yard.

Can anyone help me with this???

Thanks
Lucy

Albert and Gwendoline Helps are listed on the electoral roll in 1945, but have gone by 1950. According to Kellys the shop was listed as being run by Harry Hopkins in 1944, Albert Helps 1949, but had changed to Edward Horne by 1950. It looks therefore as if your nan had it from about 1945-1949. the shop seems to have disappeared , possibly knocked down, ssometime between 1950 and 1955.
mike

Is Kellys the name of the shop or..?

But thanks for this information, it was really interesting

Thanks

Lucy

Sorry Lucyjayne, Kellys is the birmingham trade directory. and the listings are the owner of the shop for that year. The listing may also be the name on the board outside the shop, but sometimes it is not and another name ( like "The sweet shop", "The buttery " etc) may be on the board above the shop.
Mike

Thanks Mike =)

Will keep looking and see what I can find.
I don't suppose you could find out the name of the Coal yard I mentioned above??

Lucy =)

Hi Lucy
There is only one coal dealer listed in the street in 1944 and 1949, and that is on the other side of the road, certainly approximately opposite. That is at no 32, James McGill Cresswell . At the same address is W & L Cresswell. Haulage contractors. Hope that is helpful
Mike

Mike,
Thats brilliant - Thanks, My Mum was really struggling to remember the name of the coal yard so I think she'll sleep well tonight now she knows lol
You are fantastic at this, i'm sure everyone tells you the same but its true...thanks so much
Lucy

Just wondered if anyone else had any memories of this shop or any pics they could send me??? It would mean so much.
Thanks

Back