• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grocers at 143 Green Lane

How very sad.

On the opposite side to the Gumakers Arms...there were 2/3 very old houses which at a guess was early Victorian,they were certainly older than any other property in Green Lane...I wonder they are still there.

Hey Derek, Is Earl Smith still cutting hair at the shops by where Plumleys used to be ?

Hello Jim,he was there up till about 5/6 years ago then shut up shop and vanished..he never even told me and I'd known him for years...I believe he lives in Redditch now.

How very sad.

On the opposite side to the Gumakers Arms...there were 2/3 very old houses which at a guess was early Victorian,they were certainly older than any other property in Green Lane...I wonder they are still there.[/QUOTE
They are long gone too Derek

That picture of the black horse was taken from my mums shop opposite next to banks fishing tackle shop I lived there from 1944 til I married in 1966 thanks for the memories any more of the area

My Grandparents lived at 143 Green Lane & my Father & his brothers were born there. I believe they lived there in 1920 for a few years before moving to Belchers Lane. Would this be the same 143 Green Lane is being mention here? If so is that house THE house where they lived :) I am so excited but maybe bought down to earth with a big bump if it isn't the house :(

143 was 5 doors up from Eversley Road going towards Bertram Road and was a drapers shop in 1956 Rowan hope this helps

Rowan
James Henry & Gertrude Ethel Bott lived at 143 Green lane 1920-1925. It was Henry John Bent qt 143 Green Lane in 1927 . James Henry Bott was at 231 Belchers Lane in 1927. So unless there is an enormous coincidence it looks like it is hte right building

Thank you so much Mike. James Henry & Gertrude Ethel Bott were my Grandparents :))

So is the picture in the first post the 143 Green Lane?

It was always said that Gertrude had a second hand shop there but that looks to be a grocers shop.

Thank you too berniew for your imformation

Yes Rowan, that must be the shop. The picture was taken later, when the Bents were there. In 1921 Kellys just says shopkeeper, which isn't necessarily a grocer, and could be anything.

Oh Mike many thanks........... I am thrilled to bits. I never knew my Grandmother as she died 1925 leaving James Henry to raised 3 boys. He remarried to Ada Cresswell.
again thank you Mike.

would it be ok if I take a copy of the picture do you think?

I'm sure it would be OK. By the way, i have just added 1921 to the bit about Kellys saying shopkeeper in #49, to make it clear I was referring to when your grandmother was there

Hi Rowan,

amdyhou here - the chap who posted the first pic of 143 Green Lane. That's my grandmother (who died before I was born). I haven't visited this site for ages and was delighted to see your communications since my last visit. I now know all about the shop and those living there before my grandmother! You are most welcome to the pic.

Back